- The Greater Augusta Arts Council announced 14 local nonprofit arts organizations were awarded funds from the Arts Council for special projects, public performances and equipment. The funding guidelines were established by an ad hoc committee composed of council President Robert Mullins, members of the board and representatives of local arts organizations. The one-year grant program is to be replaced in 2008 by funds allocated by the city.
The following nonprofit art groups applied for and received grants:
- Gertrude Herbert Institute of Art, $1,500 for sponsorship of Art Ventures
- Augusta Ballet, $1,500 for sponsorship of Master Classes
- Storyland Theater, $1,500 for equipment of microphones
- Tuesday Music Live, $1,000 for public performances of free concerts
- Augusta Children's Chorale, $1,500 for sponsorship of Henry Lech Festival
- Henry Jacobs, $1,500 for public performances of free concerts
- Morris Museum of Arts, $1,500 for sponsorship of a podcast workshop
- Augusta's Mini Theater, $1,500 for sponsorship of its Annual Youth Production
- Augusta Opera, $1,500 for free tickets of Alice in Wonderland
- Augusta Concert Band, $1,000 for public performances of free concerts
- Augusta Chorale Society, $1,500 for free tickets and sponsorship of Musty Mozart
- The Art Factory, $1,500 for purchase of computers
- The Imperial Theatre, $1,500 for sponsorship of a podcast workshop
- The Augusta Players, $1,500 for sponsorship of Artreach Theatre.
- The Augusta Restoration Shop Inc., formerly the Augusta Training Shop for the Handicapped Inc., thanked sponsors of its annual fundraiser, Derby Day, held two weeks ago at the Augusta Museum of History: AB Beverage, Taylor Land Rover, Georgia Bank & Trust, Energy Solutions, BWXT, Club Car and Procter & Gamble. Catering was provided by Wife Saver; Surrey Center sponsored a women's hat contest; and music was provided by Air Apparent.
Augusta Restoration Shop provides employment for mentally challenged adults. The organization this summer will move from its Lake Forest Drive location to a recently acquired building at 1704 Jenkins St.
Submit an item
Send items to email@example.com or call (706) 823-3486. Items received by noon Monday will be published the following week.