Many growing up in Augusta in the 1940s and 1950s remember summers at Allen Park, the city's recreational wonderland of water pools, baseball fields and tennis courts.
It is the mid-1970s and Augustans are just getting used to the expansion of the Walton Way-15th Street interchange.
Do you remember? We all have memories of special events there. What are some of yours? Share with an e-mail to email@example.com.
In the photo the edge of the Lamar Building points to a corner store that once was Sears Roebuck, then later Penney's.
This is what Broad Street looks like if you are a bird. Or Batman. This view from three decades ago, looks down from the corner of Lamar Building and takes in the highlights of the 700 block.
Look real close and you can see the late 1950s. This undated aerial photo from The Chronicle's archives looks west over downtown Augusta and shows a city on the verge of change.
One of Sibley Mill's oldest mysteries - a prehistoric fossil nearly eight feet long - is stored in a dusty boiler room building.
The Augusta Canal visitors center at Enterprise Mill got a new name for its 10th birthday, officially becoming the Augusta Canal Discovery Center.
The waters of Georgia's largest lake conceal the legacy of Petersburg -- a lost city that once rivaled Augusta in wealth and prominence.
Vienna, whose remnants lie beneath today's Thurmond Lake, was a tidy Colonial town with its own tailor, a blacksmith and two fine hotels. But on a Saturday morning in 1851, it was also the chosen ...
The town of Ellenton, S.C., was erased from the landscape when the government came in 1950, but soon re-appeared in a new form just 14 miles away.
Almost two centuries ago, slave artisans in the lost community of Pottersville began making stoneware vessels that are highly sought artwork today.
The lost city of Hamburg actually died twice, and today, even its historical marker is listed as "missing."
The rural community, established in the 1800s and incorporated in 1910, was dismantled and evacuated six decades ago to make way for the Cold War nuclear bomb complex known today as Savannah River ...
From the very beginning of Augusta National Golf Club, the Bon Air Vanderbilt was the off-course hub for golfers and club members.
The tranquil community of Pinetucky thrived for more than a century among the sandy hills and ponds southwest of Augusta. Then, one day, the War Department arrived to build a new encampment.
From 1957 to 1966, the competition was held at the Imperial Theatre, and the winner received her crown at a large dance called the "Golf Ball" held at the Bon Air Hotel and later Bell Auditorium.
Bernard Mulherin remembers when patrons packed a picnic and blanket for lunchtime at Augusta National. He doesn't recall any concession stands during the tournament's early days and through the 1940s.
The Old South Barbecue was an idea conceived by the Chamber of Commerce to help relieve the handful of Augusta restaurants from overflow crowds.
The Masters Tournament and fashion go together like Augusta and azaleas.