Beach Boys to play in Augusta in July

Concert to benefit American Red Cross of Augusta

SPECIAL
The Beach Boys will play in Augusta on July 13 for an American Red Cross benefit.

The Beach Boys will get around to Augusta this July for a show that will benefit the American Red Cross of Augusta.

The Beach Boys' Mike Love is the only original member of the band who is touring.  FILE/ASSOCIATED PRESS
FILE/ASSOCIATED PRESS

The concert is planned for 7 p.m. Sunday, July 13, at Bell Auditorium.

Tickets start at $49 and go on sale at 10 a.m. Friday, May 30, at the James Brown Arena box office, by phone at 877-4AUGTIX and online at georgialinatix.com.

The Beach Boys – with original band member Mike Love – are celebrating 50 years of hits, including Fun Fun Fun, Surfin’ U.S.A., I Get Around, Help Me Rhonda, California Girls and Good Vibrations.

“To bring the Beach Boys to the CSRA, be a good community partner for American Red Cross of Augusta, and host Hot Southern Night in the Bell Auditorium is a great opportunity,” Global Spectrum General Manager Chris Bird said in a press release.

“Along with a portion of the proceeds, there will also be silent auction items at the concert that will benefit the local Red Cross chapter.”

In addition to founding Beach Boy Love (lead vocals) and Beach Boy-veteran Bruce Johnston (vocals/keyboards), Christian Love (guitar/vocals), Randell Kirsch (bass/vocals), Tim Bonhomme (keyboards/vocals), John Cowsill of The Cowsills (percussion /vocals) and Scott Totten (guitar/vocals) round out the band.

imwatching
imwatching 05/26/14 - 12:47 pm
Love does not make the Beach Boys!

No one loves the Beach Boys more than I, this was the first concert I ever saw. I have seen them many more times , including their 25th anniversary tour. Without the Wilson brothers (minus Dennis of course) and Al Jardine is it really the Beach Boys. Johnston and Love who are "Beach Boys" don't exactly make it the Beach Boys , and at 50 bucks a ticket I would rather listen to my LP's with my "Surfer Girl" and remember the "Fun Fun Fun" we used to have "In My Room"!

jb1968ga
jb1968ga 05/26/14 - 01:37 pm
Should be called Two Beach Boys and Others

I was fortunate enough to see the entire group perform together for their 50th anniversary tour. I can't imagine this will compare.

billcass
billcass 05/26/14 - 01:55 pm
Amazing

They book a big name group in Augusta, and people still complain. How about being happy about the concert? If you don't want to go, stay home.

Bizkit
Bizkit 05/26/14 - 03:56 pm
Brings back my youth! Surfin'

Brings back my youth! Surfin' Safari, Little Deuce Coup, Good Vibrations. Dang fun times. Well other than a concern of being drafted.

dichotomy
dichotomy 05/26/14 - 04:55 pm
Ah, back when groups sang

Ah, back when groups sang songs you could actually understand.....and sing along with them in front of your parents.

Bizkit
Bizkit 05/26/14 - 06:28 pm
That's funny but many of my

That's funny but many of my favorite songs of the seventies and eighties were barely discernible other than screams-most people would just make up lyrics. A drunken slur of In the Garden of Eden and ya get-"In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida" -that's actually what happened-they liked the drunken version better. Blinded by the Light Wrapped or Revved up like a deuce what the heck? Depends of Bruce or Manfred version. Rock and Disco Scat singing basically-hee,hee,hee. Now it's the death growl which sounds like Satan at the door and just bend over and kiss yourself goodbye. Or various ethnic music with a bass that actually displaces your heart out of your body because of the vibrations as a car passes by your home-you think it's the big one. I don't see that the sound waves doesn't damage their bodies somehow. Just wait it will happen-the journey for more and more louder"er"bass and suddenly create a sonic boom death ray and accidentally kill yourself with brilliant stupidity. Just pop like a balloon from the sonic burst-dang evolution at work-natural selection. I've always enjoyed watching nature at work.

corgimom
corgimom 05/26/14 - 06:50 pm
BillCass, if the Wilsons

BillCass, if the Wilsons aren't there, it isn't the Beach Boys.

I've seen them many times, too, and that's a lot of money for substitutes.

If Ringo Starr got 3 other men together and called it the Beatles, would you be ok with that?

Of course not.

dwb619
dwb619 05/26/14 - 07:21 pm
Louie Louie

You will surprised if you were to "google" the lyrics of "Louie Louie".
Not at all risque.

justthefacts
justthefacts 05/26/14 - 08:09 pm
I hear ya Bill

Some people would complain if you hung em with a new rope! Must be heck to go through life seeing every single thing as a glass half empty.

rebellious
22027
rebellious 05/26/14 - 08:15 pm
Two Fat White Guys

in a SUV with a gray (or is it Grey) revolver......Oh wait wrong story.....Or is it??????

Austin Rhodes
Austin Rhodes 05/26/14 - 08:29 pm
Carl Wilson sang lead on several of my favorites...

...particularly, "God Only Knows"...but we won't ever get to hear him do that again.

The Bell just played to a full house of folks paying 50 bucks a ticket to see the cast of Jersey Boys...the Beach Boys (featuring Love and Johnston) will do fine. Mike Love sang lead on a ton of the songs...and the band is top notch.

jimmymac
jimmymac 05/26/14 - 08:45 pm
BBOYS

I heard the current addition of the Beach Boys and I wouldn't go to see them if the tickets were free. One member doesn't make them the Beach Boys.

KSL
KSL 05/26/14 - 10:21 pm
Pass.Was not fond of their

Pass.Was not fond of their music way back then. Neither was my husband, who was actually husband to be years later.

The Tams and the Tops and Tina. And I, since I had my northern exposure, could name other groups.

Go and enjoy.

KSL
KSL 05/26/14 - 10:27 pm
I much more like to hear the

I much more like to hear the Swinging Medallions and we don't have to pay a cent to hear them play at homecoming at GT at my husband's fraternity.

Just a matter of taste, Austin.

KSL
KSL 05/26/14 - 10:39 pm
KSL
KSL 05/26/14 - 10:48 pm
corgimom
corgimom 05/26/14 - 10:47 pm
I bought their newest CD,

I bought their newest CD, their 50th anniversary one. Where Mike Love sings live on it.

No, thanks. I get that he's 70 years old- and his voice sounds like it.

KSL
KSL 05/26/14 - 11:11 pm
Adagio for Strings was

Adagio for Strings was written in 1936 by Samuel Barber. It was most appropriately chosen for the movie, Platoon.

The Canadian Brass came to USCA for a concert and did a wonderful brass arrangement of that.

peace4784
peace4784 05/27/14 - 05:05 am
Beach Boy and the Back Ups.

Beach Boy and the Back Ups. 50 dollars please!

Clemintime
Clemintime 05/27/14 - 05:16 am
1st Beach Boys Concert

My first of 3 BB concerts was in the mid-60's (the year escapes me). At that time, they were not all the original members either. Brian Wilson was replaced by Glenn Campbell. Sure sounded good though.

I bet this concert will sound good too. Definitely will bring back fond memories of the beach, blondes, and bikinis.

"I'll be wearing my baggies"

Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva 05/27/14 - 05:50 am
I'll stick with the Allman

I'll stick with the Allman Brothers since Muddy Waters, Howlin' Wolf, John Lee Hooker, and those guys are gone. Buddy Guy is still hot as ever, BB's slowed down a lot but still picking, James Cotton, Charlie Musslewhite, Magic Dick, Rod Piazza, and Kim Wilson still blow a fantastic harp but nobody, but nobody blows it like Sugar Blue.

nocnoc
nocnoc 05/27/14 - 06:43 am
Reb- 2 Fat White Guys ...Sounds like I heard that some place.☺

Surfing music was ok,
but I liked YES, Led Zep, Boston, Jim C. Dr. Hook, Edgar and Johnny W., Brownsville, Allman's, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Alabama, Black Sabbath, Bread, Deep Purple, CC, and many others a lot more.

I guess it is all when you grew up, and got that 1st kiss what was playing.

Actually have heard BB's play twice. (or parts of the band)
@ the Riviera Hotel & Casino back in April 1995 and the The GA Dome a month later.

Have not followed them in a long time and understand they have had some band member changes and splits over the last 19 years.

Take your pick 99% are all here to listen too.

nocnoc
nocnoc 05/27/14 - 07:09 am
BTW: LOLA is the most harrious song I have heard to date

We had a Lt Commander at JSOC that joked it was a Navy warning song for new seamen, getting their 1st shore leave. ☺

Bizkit
Bizkit 05/27/14 - 07:55 am
Dang Bod and nocnoc we have

Dang Bod and nocnoc we have similar taste in music. Loved them all too-more so than the Beach boys. But the Beach boys were before the English invasion-which was their death knell as their popularity waned compared to what is was.