Augusta Economy

More News | Fort Gordon | Plant Vogtle | Savannah River Site | Editor

O'Donovans Irish Pub opening in downtown Augusta

An Irish flag outside a downtown corner storefront means there will be one definite thing flowing freely inside.

Back | Next
O'Donovans Irish Pub is set to open Friday on Broad Street in downtown Augusta.  CHRIS THELEN/SPECIAL
CHRIS THELEN/SPECIAL
O'Donovans Irish Pub is set to open Friday on Broad Street in downtown Augusta.

Map View

Javascript is required to view this map.

“We’re going to have probably the best Guinness on the street,” said Elaine Sheridan D’Arcy, owner of the new O’Donovans Irish Pub.

The pub is scheduled to open Friday at the corner of 10th and Broad streets and will offer traditional Irish dishes, such as corned beef and cabbage and fish and chips, but the sole focus will be on maintaining an authentic pub ambiance, D’Arcy said.

“As far as I’m concerned, it’s a very much needed niche in this community,” she said. “I think Augusta is now opening up to more cultures.”

D’Arcy, whose parents were both immigrants from Dublin, went back to Ireland, herself, for several years before putting down roots in Florida, where she ran a pub in Florida for eight years.

She moved to Augusta in November to be close to her daughter, who told her about what city leaders envisioned for downtown.

“By hearing what they wanted to do, I thought it would be good to get in on the ground floor,” she said. “I think they have a vision, and I have a vision and I think they will collide.”

The space at 1002 Broad St. that D’Arcy is leasing had been vacant since last summer when a Greek restaurant, Eros Bistro, abruptly closed after about a year in business.

D’Arcy said the location in the middle of downtown’s nightlife strip is ideal for a pub. The restaurant side of the business will be open for lunch and dinner. At the bar, there will be nearly a dozen beers on tap as well as high-end whiskeys, rums and other liquor, she said.

D’Arcy eventually expects to bring in traditional Irish music and plans to keep the pub as pure to Ireland’s culture as possible.

O’Donovans will open with about 20 employees. In anticipation of large crowds on St. Patrick’s Day, less than two weeks away, D’Arcy said the pub will likely offer a limited menu and cash bar that day. The holiday attracts droves of residents downtown who watch a parade that winds down Broad Street and participate in other festivities throughout the day.

“St. Patrick’s Day is going to be an absolute madhouse,” she said.

justthefacts
justthefacts 03/06/14 - 06:09 pm
Wish them much success

Love me some Guinness!!

countyman
20234
countyman 03/06/14 - 07:11 pm
Private construction!!

The CBD is growing and continues to attract private development..

The naysayers will eventually have to jump on the bandwagon sooner or later..

Iwasright
Iwasright 03/06/14 - 09:14 pm
Metro has the coldest

Metro has the coldest Guiness, so let´s get that over with. Downtown already has this theme, Boars Head on the 11th block with its English/Irish theme and of course Tipsy McStumbles on 7th. I would say both are hanging on but barely. Also, have the owners seen downtown on a First Friday or on the weekends??? I live one block over and the clients they are seeking (predominatly caucasians) will be home by 9 pm as I am on the weekends. Irish theme blah, blah and more blah for downtown. Wait until the first shooting or fight breaks out at Playground or Soul Bar then we´ll see how the place fairs. I was right about Wheels, Roosters Beak and The Greek restaraunt all down the tubes.

dichotomy
dichotomy 03/06/14 - 09:22 pm
countyman.....Not worried

countyman.....Not worried about the CBD. Worried about the South Side attracting something besides Section 8, HUD, and fast food joints. Glad the CBD is healthy. It should be with all the money we have spent down there. When do you think it can stand on it's own feet so we can pass some money around to other parts of the "city" of Augusta. I mean we ARE all part of the same "city" aren't we. At least that is what the charter and the tax bills say.

countyman
20234
countyman 03/06/14 - 10:56 pm
CBD

The last shooting during a First Friday happen after the event in July of 2012. How many areas in the CSRA have experience homicides let alone shootings since 2012? The closing of Eris Bistro was related to other issues and not the amount of customers.

There's plenty of white people downtown on the weekend and First Friday. Who do you think lives in the CBD, Olde Town, or Waters Edge?

The opening week of Craft & Vine proves the downtown scene has almost reached the tipping point. Many older white couples(over 50) were downtown past 9 pm this week..

Dichotomy.... The Peach Orchard/I-520/Windsor Spring corridor won't look the same by the end of 2013.. The city of Augusta has invested millions into South Augusta and the city just got on the downtown revitalization bandwagon.

justthefacts
justthefacts 03/06/14 - 10:55 pm
"Metro has the coldest Guiness"

Coldest Guinness? That would be a problem. Hopefully, D'Arcy knows better how to serve it. We ain't talking Bud Light.

InChristLove
InChristLove 03/07/14 - 06:46 am
(countyman) "Dichotomy....

(countyman) "Dichotomy.... The Peach Orchard/I-520/Windsor Spring corridor won't look the same by the end of 2013"

Ummm...Countyman. It is past the end of 2013. This is March 2014

DowntownJaguar
DowntownJaguar 03/07/14 - 08:55 am
"Coldest Guinness?"

Guinness should never be served very cold--I couldn't keep reading past this remark.

gbhs
gbhs 03/07/14 - 10:20 am
Proper Pint

I am looking forward to a proper pint of the Irish stout! If Metro was in Ireland, they would not be allowed to serve Guinness. It should not be served too cold and the tap lines are cleaned once a week. Downtown is headed in the right direction.

Butterman
Butterman 03/07/14 - 10:44 am
CBD yeah you know me

didn't know black people drank Guinness

20 Happy
20 Happy 03/07/14 - 10:50 am
Downtown Cool and Getting Cooler

I left Augusta in the late 90's and returned from NYC 5 years ago. Downtown has certainly changed a great deal since the 90's, when the old Pizza Joint and Soul Bar were the predominant locales. I'm happy to see they're still going strong, but I'm even happier to see such a resurgence to the Downtown scene, a great deal of which has happened since I've moved back. My wife and I were down at Frog Hollow for dinner last Saturday, and we went over to Boar's Head for drinks and darts afterward. Parking was at a premium, and we were Downtown quite late and felt perfectly fine.

Someone commented above regarding the shooting and how this pub will close soon because of violence, but I don't believe he/she is commenting with any sense of perspective. The fact of the matter is that Downtown is relatively quite safe. There are unsafe parts of the CSRA that are much more unsafe than Downtown. Sheriff Strength told us that verbatim at the Downtown forum back in 2012.

I'm very optimistic regarding this pub and can't wait to go! I know the bartender they've hired. He's an older man and a true professional bartender. He'll be the most popular bartender Downtown!

Regarding the above comment about how the person commenting "knew" Eros Bistro was going to close: they were packed for lunch every day. The owner just happened to have another business on the side that was not quite legal.

Lastly, regarding the above comment concerning "Caucasian people", if the person commenting is really that afraid of people who aren't white, maybe he'she should just move to Appling or some other place where the only thing to worry about is hitting a deer. Last time I checked, this is America, and there's no one forcing you to stay Downtown.

Irish lass
Irish lass 03/07/14 - 11:20 am
I have been looking in the

I have been looking in the windows and this pub looks GORGEOUS! I am so excited, it looks like nothing else on the street. Finally a place with some authenticity! I grew up in Ireland and this pub really takes me back with the beautiful chairs and cozy atmosphere. I'll be there tonight for opening!!

Butterman
Butterman 03/07/14 - 11:23 am
Antione

Will Antione be there? It won't be complete without Antione. You know this is the CBD and all

justthefacts
justthefacts 03/07/14 - 11:26 am
Nice positives vibes

Great to see in most of the comments.

Jake
Jake 03/07/14 - 11:35 am
Irish

Love Irish music and the culture. Will definitely check this place out when returning to Augusta. I wonder if they open for lunch?

Bulldog country
Bulldog country 03/07/14 - 11:59 am
pub junkie

Firstly, Guinness should be served between 39 degrees and 45 degrees. I've met the owner and she's a very classy lady and it looks like that is the theme of this pub. I'm excited to go somewhere relaxed and nice. We need more of these places and less Metros and Playgrounds.

triscuit
triscuit 03/07/14 - 12:10 pm
Did a commenter actually

Did a commenter actually mention Tipsy McStumbles in the same paragraph as an Irish Pub? C'mon...

Butterman
Butterman 03/07/14 - 12:13 pm
Dump

I think Bette Davis said it best when she described The Metro: "What a Dump!"

countyman
20234
countyman 03/07/14 - 12:22 pm
South Augusta

ICL... 2014

Butterman
Butterman 03/07/14 - 12:28 pm
Antione... it just wouldn't

Antione... it just wouldn't be a CBD party without you!

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 03/07/14 - 01:39 pm
Dittos to 20 happy. This

Dittos to 20 happy. This place will cater to the Whisky Bar type crowd, not the Tipsy McStumbles type. I dearly hope they choose to be non-smoking, as it seems like a place I would enjoy visiting on occasion.

Dixieman
Dixieman 03/07/14 - 01:48 pm
"God gave the Irish liquor...

...to prevent them from taking over the world" -- Ed McMahon