Masters Week Par 3 Party canceled

Thursday, March 6, 2014 1:12 PM
Last updated 1:47 PM

A second Masters Week event has been called off in Augusta.

Back | Next
The Fantastic Shakers performed at the Par 3 Party at the Augusta Common during 2013 Mastesr Week.  JIM BLAYLOCK/FILE
JIM BLAYLOCK/FILE

The Par 3 Party, sponsored by the Greater Augusta Arts Council, won’t happen this year. Brenda Durant, executive director of the arts council, said the annual dance party on the Augusta Common was hard to staff during a busy week when many residents escape town for vacation.

“It’s a tough week to get volunteers,” Durant said.

Earlier this week, the Mayor’s Masters Reception was canceled because event organizers could not find a Masters Tournament participant to attend the annual event. The reception began in 1999 and had been held for 15 consecutive years.

The Par 3 Party began in 2010 as the unofficial after-party of the tournament’s Par 3 Contest with a shag music band and food vendors. Held at the Augusta Common, proceeds benefitted programs and services of the arts council.

Durant said the arts council has shifted its efforts to focus on bigger events throughout the year that promote the group’s mission.

Two other events are planned for Masters Week. On Monday, local fundraising group Friends With Benefits is hosting bands Umphrey’s McGee and Moon Taxi at the Jessye Norman Amphitheater. The 10th annual Drive for Show, Rock Fore! Dough concert is scheduled for Tuesday with country artists Darius Rucker, Randy Houser, Will Hoge and Daniel Johnson.

The inaugural Columbia County Championship Festival of last year – that headlined Lynyrd Skynyrd – is not returning to Evans Towne Center Park this year, according to Stacie Adkins, Columbia County community events manager.

my.voice
my.voice 03/06/14 - 01:37 pm
Azziz is having the

Azziz is having the tournament moved to Athens.

Mr. Thackeray
Mr. Thackeray 03/06/14 - 01:44 pm
What do these cancelled

What do these cancelled events really say about what is going on?

Jake
Jake 03/06/14 - 02:28 pm
Judging from the photo....

....it doesn't appear there was much crowd support for the event.

countyman
countyman 03/06/14 - 02:42 pm
Masters week

Mr. Thackeray... It shows the CSRA and the city of Augusta don't work together.. The sky is falling comments and apathy from the locals pretty much show you the underbelly of Augusta.. The arts council does have their hands full with new projects like Artspace, but somebody could have stepped up..

The same people that didn't want any splost funds to support the arts will complain about this... The Masters impact will still be in the $100 million range but the local citizens won't have much fun in terms of the events..

Many people love to complain about everything, but never want to give ideas or help improve anything.. There's no reason why the city of Augusta, private citizens, and local sponsors couldn't have moved forward with one of those events..

Dixieman
Dixieman 03/06/14 - 02:37 pm
Gimme more points!!

If Augusta National could relocate the course to...I dunno...the Mojave Desert or Greenland or Mars I think they would do it. Not much spillover into the CSRA economy other than the necessities (food and shelter) of the fans. Perhaps things really are falling apart.
Get me up to 10,000 points and I'll consider hosting a party Masters Week.

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 03/06/14 - 02:52 pm
What happened?

Well, A. Location, The Par 3 Party, like most events held there attracted quite a lot of the GIMME crowd who rudely elbow people out of the way so that they may get their fair share ! Add to that the thug look which becomes predominant with most events in that area and visitors and guests in the area don't want to go there. By moving it to a location that is not so accessible by the GIMME's or if you charged an entry fee you would have a successful event. The GIMME's tend to shy away from paying an entry fee.

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 03/06/14 - 02:55 pm
Supporting SPLOST

The SPLOST is so full of pork it will make a Muslim relocate!! It could keep Sconyers BBQ in business for 10 years before they'd have to buy any meat to cook!!

Riverman1
Riverman1 03/06/14 - 03:04 pm
Where is Rock Fore! Dough

Where is Rock Fore! Dough going to be held this year?

countyman
countyman 03/06/14 - 03:10 pm
What does the location have

I already knew the double standards and the sky is falling in Richmond County comments were coming sooner or later.. I bet we don't hear anything related to the cancelling of the event in Evans, or how the location is partly too blame..

What does the location of the event downtown have to do with anything? The majority of the large events and festivals in the CSRA are held downtown.. The majority of the 1.5 million visitors in RC who spend the night visit downtown.

There's still a event plan on the Riverwalk and one of the events from last year in Evans is canceled this year..

I've been to the Par 3 Party numerous times and you have to be kidding me bringing up the gimme crowd or thug look..

And somebody definitely needs to visit the Arts in the Heart, Westobou, Saturday Market, Candlelight Jazz, etc if they believe those events mostly attract those people..

triscuit
triscuit 03/06/14 - 03:10 pm
Par 3 party...to get the

Par 3 party...to get the "free" food and drinks and tables, you had to buy tickets. It was nice last year. If you did not want to pony up for tickets, there were a few other vendors around to get a snack. The Mayor's Masters Reception, yeah, that was for those wanting something for nothing. No big deal to me if either stops.

InChristLove
InChristLove 03/06/14 - 03:33 pm
Seems to me more local people

Seems to me more local people would be interested in attending the Arts in the Heart, Westobou, Saturday Market, etc than a golf/shag party. Not everyone is a golf fan or likes beach music (can't imagine why not) but I suppose it could be just as good a reason as another.

"The majority of the 1.5 million visitors in RC who spend the night visit downtown." Doing what? Visit? Yeah, they might drive downtown to see what it's all about but I seriously doubt they are hanging out on Broad Street for Master's Week. There are a few good places to eat, get a drink, or if you're into seeing a girlie show, there's not really much to do downtown.

countyman
countyman 03/06/14 - 03:49 pm
Weird!!

The number of visitors represented the entire year and had nothing to do with Masters week.. There's not really much to do anywhere in the CSRA.. The comments surrounding downtown are strange, because the majority of Masters guest hang out in the Surrey Center and West Augusta. Why do people continue to portray that 'many' areas in the CSRA have masters guest flocking to visit there?

Riverman1
Riverman1 03/06/14 - 04:12 pm
"There's not really much to do..."

"There's not really much to do anywhere in the CSRA."

It's kind of hard to follow your last comment, but if that's meant to be a true statement, you need to learn about the CSRA. Wealthy visitors come here for golf and horses from all over the world almost year round. The lake in the past 50 years has become a great place for visitors.

triscuit
triscuit 03/06/14 - 04:20 pm
I think a shag band hurt

I think a shag band hurt attendance last year. I like that okay, but another type of band would have been better. With some of the areas best new restaurants/bars downtown, there are more Masters people finding Broad Street. I overheard a few last year that said that downtown was more fun that Washington Road places...although I'm not sure that is a compliment or not. It is what it is folks.

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 03/06/14 - 04:50 pm
If the comments and praise

If the comments and praise included the entire CSRA instead of one little tiny area you may begin to get more credit. Do you have any idea, what the Annual Field Trials bring into the area in Burke County? Or the Hunting Plantations located there? You're quick to take credit for Plant Vogtle but not to give credit where it'a also due.. Do you have any idea what the horses and polo matches or the Hopeland Gardens bring to Aiken? What about the history at Magnolia Springs in Millen or the Square in Edgefield. Maybe if you focused a little farther out you would hear less criticism and more praise. There are a wealth of attractions within 40 miles of the "CBD" but, we don't see you singing their praises.

seenitB4
seenitB4 03/06/14 - 05:26 pm
Coldbeer & Riverman --RIGHT OON!

countyman --They have given you some great advice on this thread...I hope you listen to them....the CSRA is large & exciting but you are stuck on downtown...not only what they brought up but the towns with so much history are all around Augusta..Crawfordville--Washngton-Aiken-so much to see & do....spread out some & smell the roses...did you know the oldest Catholic cemetery in Ga is right out of Crawfordville in a quaint little town called Sharon Ga..
Also many astronomy watchers meet in Sharon..

seenitB4
seenitB4 03/06/14 - 05:38 pm
internationallyunknown
internationallyunknown 03/06/14 - 05:43 pm
Orders

The ANGC is slowly removing themselves from the circus show called Augusta, Ga....

SRD
SRD 03/06/14 - 05:59 pm
I Remember

Now folks involved in the planning can give excuse after excuse however I believe there are other determining factors. Number 1, the economy, Number 2 the Masters tournament turning its back on the local CSRA citizens. Some of you may not remember but many I’m sure do (a time when you could get par 3 tickets and practice round tickets at the gate and even though the main tickets were pre-sold the locals could enjoy the event!) You didn’t have the sheriff’s dept looking to make their budget off of DUI’s and you could party openly on Washington rd in front of the tournament in the parking lot before and after the par 3! Those were the days! I have to wonder as the economy continues to affect us all, perhaps even the tournament will embrace the CSRA who propelled them to the status that they now enjoy!

Riverman1
Riverman1 03/06/14 - 06:12 pm
ColdBeer, I almost added the

ColdBeer, I almost added the hunting. It is such a mega draw for the area.

stuaby
stuaby 03/06/14 - 06:14 pm
"I think a shag band hurt

"I think a shag band hurt attendance last year."

You're kidding right? I mean, you're kidding, right? They actually had a shag band there? [sigh.]

Houston, we have a problem.

Note to party organizers: Masters attendees are get younger and younger. Shagging is not going to cut it. I don't know what will, but it ain't shagging. Try 70's/80's R&B instead.

Mary Frances Hendrix
Mary Frances Hendrix 03/06/14 - 06:25 pm
Number 9 anyone?

I vote for a Masters Week live show from Ed Turner & Number 9 -- classic rock. Whaddya say, Ed?

Darby
Darby 03/06/14 - 06:48 pm
Dixie -

What can I do to get you NOT to host the party?

PS - I gave you another point. I'm still trying to help.

harley_52
harley_52 03/06/14 - 06:51 pm
I Think The Lack Of Parties....

...is a statement on societal change. Drinking and whooping it up is no longer as commonplace among most golfers, nor amongst society as a whole. Professional golfers spend time in the gym and with their families, not drinking and raising hell with the boys.

Gage Creed
Gage Creed 03/06/14 - 07:59 pm
FACTS are pesky things!

"I'm also dumbfounded that some people continue to have a problem every time I mention the tourism downtown. What is exactly the problem? Aiken County maybe the only surrounding county with even over 300,000 visitors per year.."

1.5 million eh? That's about 5 times Aiken's visitors using the cheerleaders numbers. I wonder how those 1.5 million stack up against Savannah?

Strawmen are easy to knock down...

stuaby
stuaby 03/07/14 - 12:42 am
Anybody know who I can

Anybody know who I can contact that's in charge of the Par 3 Party?

These people need help.

Bring in a few UGA and SC cheerleaders, 2 Live Crew style dancers, etc., and music like the following, and you won't any problem with attendance. Shagging? COME ON, folks! What are you thinking? For the love of Pete, what are you thinking?

Example playlist:

iaaffg
iaaffg 03/07/14 - 05:13 am
next event to be cancelled:

next event to be cancelled: the masters!

sand gnat
sand gnat 03/07/14 - 09:11 am
Difficult to Accept

I find all of these cancellations difficult to accept in a city like Augusta.
After all, in recent national articles, Augusta was ranked as one of the Top Ten cities to live in the USA. This ranking has to be from the friendly political climate, lack of crime and strong educational system we have from pre school all the way through GRU. Not to mention the strong private sector job market. Maybe more government jobs are needed.

concernmom
concernmom 03/07/14 - 09:12 am
I miss Masters week years past when Augustans could actually go

I remember years ago, in the late 70's and 80's when Augustans could purchase practice round tickets and Par 3 at the gate. Thursday-Sunday always badges and you only went if you were connected with people who had tickets. It was so fun as a teenager to go and see all the golfers. I've personally applied for tickets and the past 4 years I haven't gotten anything. The National needs to reconsider giving Augustans top priority!

concernmom
concernmom 03/07/14 - 09:14 am
fun times :)

Oh yeah and the Par 3 was held across the street from the National in the Gin Mill parking lot :) FUN times!

Lincoln County deputies injured breaking up fight

Two Lincoln County deputies were treated at an Augusta Hospital after being injured breaking up a fight at a party at an American Legion building in Lincolnton.