Streets being closed for Arts in the Heart festival

Streets have already begun closing in preparation for the three-day Arts in the Heart of Augusta Festival, which begins Friday.

Back | Next
Barricades block Ninth Street from Broad Street in preparation for the Arts in the Heart festival, which starts Friday.  EMILY ROSE BENNETT/STAFF
EMILY ROSE BENNETT/STAFF

The festival, which is expected to draw more than 70,000 people downtown, will feature local entertainment, more than 100 artists, 19 cultural associations serving ethnic food, and a children’s area.

Streets will reopen after the festival ends Sunday.

NOW CLOSED: Eighth and Ninth streets between Ellis and Broad streets; Macarten between Jones and Broad streets

CLOSING AT 5 P.M. TODAY: Ingress to parking wells on Broad Street between Eighth and 10th streets

CLOSING AT MIDNIGHT: Broad Street from Eighth to 10th streets; Ninth Street (north) from Jones to Broad streets

CLOSING AT 9 A.M. FRIDAY: Southbound Eighth Street about a half-block before the intersection with Broad Street; one eastbound lane of Reynolds Street from Eighth to Ninth streets. Eighth at Reynolds Street will be closed, but there will be access to the SunTrust parking deck and Lamar Building parking.

The Reynolds Street city parking deck is accessible at Reynolds and 9th street.

IF YOU GO

WHAT: 33rd annual Arts in the Heart of Augusta Festival

WHEN: 5-9 p.m. Friday, 11 a.m. to 9 p.m. Saturday, noon to 7 p.m. Sunday

WHERE: Augusta Common and Broad Street

COST: $10 at gate; children under 10 free

countyman
20730
countyman 09/18/13 - 12:44 pm
heartbeat of the metro and CSRA

I hope everybody comes out to experience the local culture and atmosphere downtown. This event was named one if the top 20 festivals recently. Moving the festival to Broad street was best idea for the long term success of the event.

countyman
20730
countyman 09/18/13 - 12:48 pm
Tourism

How can anybody spin the amount of people who attend the festival? The overwhelmingly majority of the 1.5 million coming to Augusta yearly want to visit and see downtown.

Riverman1
Riverman1 09/18/13 - 04:42 pm
Locals?

How can you tell the people who visit down there are not locals? I don't think people are flying into Bush Field to visit this thing. It's like First Friday, if you ask me, where most of the visitors walked over from Laney Walker.

Frank I
Frank I 09/18/13 - 05:23 pm
Riverman

Hotel booking..

but my interesting point is the fact that the city's albatross parking deck will be closed for a major event AGAIN.. they closed for the 4th as well.. lost revenue.. genius planning..

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 09/18/13 - 05:31 pm
countyman, Remember This One?

countyman 09/06/13 - 11:27 am

The property values in the CBD are clearly some of the highest in the CSRA.

Corgimom... The urban core is attracting both young families and singles.. The OVER 1.5 MILLION visitors to Richmond County (EVERY DAY) love downtown Augusta..

Now This One:

How can anybody spin the amount of people who attend the festival? The overwhelmingly majority of the 1.5 million coming to Augusta (YEARLY) want to visit and see downtown.

Which one is it??

Pops
Pops 09/18/13 - 05:45 pm
Shouldn't it be

called "Arts In The Slum"?

Gage Creed
Gage Creed 09/18/13 - 09:04 pm
One of the top 20 festivals

One of the top 20 festivals held in Augusta in September?

countyman
20730
countyman 09/18/13 - 11:05 pm
Cobalt.... I think you

Cobalt.... I think you already knew I meant to use the word 'year' instead of 'day' in the first quote..

Gage Creed.... The facts don't lie......

Best Festival for 2013 by readers of the Augusta Magazine

Top 20 Event in the Southeast in 2013 by Southeast Festival and Events Association

Top 200 Event (debuting at a ranking of 73rd) by Sunshine Artist magazine

Top USA Event by Publishers of Top Events USA, an independent event reviewer

countyman
20730
countyman 09/19/13 - 01:18 pm
I think Riverman is only

I think Riverman is only jealous, because Martinez can't offer anything close to this event. This type of cultural experience's aren't found in cul de sacs..

I can tell by the comments somebody has NEVER been to either the Arts in the Heart of First Friday... First Friday maybe a local event, but people come from the entire CSRA each time.

Arts in the Heart attracts people from the all over the southeast, and they usually drive here..

Please spin this? Go ahead and fast forward the second video to 7:30 in you want to see the street view.

countyman
20730
countyman 09/19/13 - 12:13 am
Frank.. Where did you hear

Frank.. Where did you hear the parking deck will be closed? The parking deck is very nice, and under buget in response to the 'albatross' comment. The mayor of Charleston said it's one of the nicest parking decks he's ever seen.

I wish the city would have incorporated retail/office into the parking deck, but the next one must have it.

Riverman1
Riverman1 09/19/13 - 05:35 am
"I think Riverman is only

"I think Riverman is only jealous, because Martinez can't offer anything close to this event. This types of cultural experience's aren't found in cul de sacs.."

Man oh man, if I could only afford to live in an apartment in downtown Augusta I would be bigtime. Maybe one day I can reach the zenith and move there.

Riverman1
Riverman1 09/19/13 - 05:37 am
Frank1, that's the point.

Frank1, that's the point. These are local or drive-in people who are not staying over night. Does anyone actually believe people would come check into a hotel for THIS?

bigj706
bigj706 09/19/13 - 06:31 am
Yes it is area people who

Yes it is area people who just drive to the event and then return home.

bigj706
bigj706 09/19/13 - 06:34 am
Technically you could say

Technically you could say people from Aiken is coming from out of town for the festival. If you don't know where Aiken is its sounds good but smoke and mirrors, but it is a nice festival I hope everyone enjoys.

Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva 09/19/13 - 06:55 am
One of the nicest parking

One of the nicest parking decks he's ever seen? I mean, I, I read that and I'm sitting here thinking, is that a compliment? Isn't that sort of along the lines of, "That sure is a nice retention pond." or "Boy, that's a great stairwell."????

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 09/19/13 - 08:18 am
Challenge

Frank I posted:

. . . the city's albatross parking deck will be closed for a major event AGAIN.. they closed for the 4th as well.

Okay, here is the challenge. Those of you who go downtown to the Arts in the Heart, please take a moment or two to walk over to the city's albatross parking deck and report back on Saturday's and Sunday's R&Rs about whether the deck was open or closed and what time you observed it. Inquiring minds want to know.

It was my understanding that the parking deck has a few people who pay a monthly fee. The street level is reserved parking for people with parking passes. How can you close the deck if people have already paid in advance?

Occasionally I have seen an attendant in the exit booth who will let you pay with cash; but most often I have seen the booth empty, and you have to swipe your credit card to get out of the deck.

Mind you, I have never parked in the deck, but I have walked around in there just to take in the ambience.

Little Old Lady
Little Old Lady 09/19/13 - 08:59 am
The Arts in the Heart

The Arts in the Heart festival does attract many local and out of town people who drive here and return home. However, many of the vendors are from all over. They stay in local hotels and motels and eat at local eating establishments. (including bars.) I have participated in this festival, as well as many others in various places. It is a great festival and well worth attending.

Sean Moores
Sean Moores 09/19/13 - 09:23 am
@ Frank 5:23pm and LL 8:18am

The Parking Deck will be open for business during the event. According to the story, "The Reynolds Street city parking deck is accessible at Reynolds and 9th street."
That will probably be the best place to park.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 09/19/13 - 09:31 am
Info

Thanks for the information, Sean. But the question is: since the deck has a dispenser for a time-stamped ticket to get into the deck, and it has a credit card swiping machine to get out of the deck, why would it ever be closed?

Perhaps when the machines break or they lose power I could see.

Sean Moores
Sean Moores 09/19/13 - 09:42 am
Parking deck

I've parked there a couple of times; I've never noticed it being closed - that doesn't mean it hasn't been though. Both times I parked there, there was an attendant. Maybe it is only open if the attendant is on duty. I'll ask around.

internationallyunknown
internationallyunknown 09/19/13 - 09:58 am
Some people have nothing else

Some people have nothing else better to do than spread negative energy.

Arts in the Heart is one of the biggest, best, and most culturally diverse festivals in the Southeast HANDS DOWN!

A small, closed mind is just about as dangerous as that radio guy...lol.

djkillaran
djkillaran 09/19/13 - 10:31 am
Art In The Heart

Arts in the Heart is probably downtown Augusta best event all year in my opinion. If the city of Augusta had more events like this all summer then it would create a great atmosphere for people to enjoy themselves while downtown. I hear a lot of talk about the negative things about downtown and the things the city should be doing to make it better, but it can't get better without the people wanting to stand up for their city first. Downtown Augusta needs a facelift. A lot of the buildings are old and need a lot of work but it’s defiantly not a slum. Trust me. I'm from Detroit. What Augusta needs is a reason and a market to bring people downtown again. First, they need a shopping and business district to get the people working downtown. The nightlife could improve, better entertainment and bars and clubs. More COPs walking the street and better lighting along the side streets. One or two festivals a year just doesn’t cut it. The bottom line is people like new and fresh things with a taste of the past. Don’t let the negative comments and recent problems about downtown Augusta defer you from coming down and enjoying yourself. I know I will.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 09/19/13 - 11:30 am
Saturation

Some people are never satisfied. Some people never have enough. Some people always want more. Those same people are part of the problem, not the solution.

Augusta has twelve First Friday festivals. It has the Arts in the Heart festival. It has the Greek festival. It has the Hispanic festival. It has the Homosexual Pride festival. It has the Westabou festival. It has the May festival. It has the Lock ’n’ Dam Jam festival. It has the Day in the Country festival. It has the Drag Boat festival. And I've probably left off a dozen more.

It has plenty of festivals.

countyman
20730
countyman 09/19/13 - 11:29 am
Festival/events

Bigj706.... The U.S census already includes Aiken County in the MSA of Augusta. I think you'll be surprise with the number of people attending the event from 'out of town'...

Downtown Augusta should have large events at least every two/three weeks. The 8th street plaza, amphitheater, and Augusta Common are still underused.

internationallyunknown
internationallyunknown 09/19/13 - 12:48 pm
The Ampitheater is grossly

The Ampitheater is grossly underused.

Sean Moores
Sean Moores 09/19/13 - 01:14 pm
@ LL 9:42am

I was told that they are open 24/7 365 days a year.

Darby
Darby 09/19/13 - 04:39 pm
"The overwhelmingly majority of the 1.5

million coming to Augusta yearly want to visit and see downtown."

Let's just be happy they DON'T all show up on the same day!

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 09/19/13 - 06:36 pm
Thanks

Thanks for inquiring, Sean. That makes sense, since the process is automated. Maybe Frank I didn't realize you had to press the big silver button to obtain a parking pass and have the wooden cross-arm lift to let you pass.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 09/19/13 - 06:38 pm
30,000

Hey, I just realized I crossed 30,000 points today. I'm not in the league of SeenIt or RM, and certainly not even in the universe of supercommenter Cobalt George, but I'm hanging in there.

Gage Creed
Gage Creed 09/19/13 - 07:12 pm
Facts are pesky

Facts are pesky things....

Top USA Event by Publishers of Top Events USA, an independent event reviewer http://www.topeventsusa.com/

No mention of the Arts in the Heart of Augusta... It's so much easier if you just make it up... but why should I expect anything less,,,