The spoken word is not limited to Oct. 5. On Oct. 7, children’s book author Jarrett J. Krosoczka, whose award-winning Lunch Lady series is being made into a movie with Amy Poehler, will visit the Augusta-Richmond County Library.
At the Old Academy of Richmond County, artist/photographer Sarah Hobbs will sign her latest book of images that explore obsessions, phobias and neuroses.
Winemakers Jesse and Jacob Kovacs will share wisdom learned from growing up in a family that made wine on Oct. 7 at the parade fields of the Old Academy of Richmond County. They coauthored the book The Young and the Thirsty: 25 Wines for the New School Drinker and will offer advice on choosing good wine that won’t hit the wallet too hard.
Finally, the Morris Museum of Art will host the award ceremony for the 2012 Porter Fleming Literary Competition, which recognizes outstanding fiction, nonfiction, poetry and plays from writers across Georgia, Florida, Alabama and the Carolinas.
• The First Step: A Conversation With Philippe Petit. 7 p.m. Oct. 5, Maxwell Performing Arts Theatre, Augusta State University, 2500 Walton Way; $25 advance
• 2012 Porter Fleming Literary Competition award ceremony. 5-7 p.m. Oct. 6, Morris Museum of Art, 1 10th St.
• Jarrett J. Krosoczka. 2 p.m. Oct. 7, Augusta-Richmond County Library, 823 Telfair St.
• Sarah Hobbs book signing. 4 p.m. Oct. 7, Old Academy of Richmond County, 540 Telfair St.
• Words and Wine With the Kovacs Brothers. 5 p.m. Oct. 7, Parade grounds, Old Academy of Richmond County, 540 Telfair St.; $15