Another day with Lady A

Lady A to perform at dedication of Lady Antebellum Pavilion

File/Staff
Lady Antebellum performs a charity concert at Bell Auditorium last November. The band added the acoustic set to their trip before playing at James Brown Arena, a show that sold out in seven minutes.

This story has been updated. We apologize for the errors.

Back | Next
Kelley, Scott and Haywood react after receiving keys to the city and a ceremonially renamed street.  File/Staff
File/Staff

Why they’re extra special

Lady Antebellum consists of Charles Kelley and Dave Haywood, who grew up in Columbia County, as well as Hillary Scott of Nashville, Tenn.

Own The Night, the trio’s third CD, had its debut in the No. 1 spot on Billboard magazine’s Top 200 chart of all kinds of albums.

The group’s current single off that album, We Owned The Night, follows the album’s first single release, Just A Kiss, which became their fifth No. 1 single hit.

So close, and yet …

Country trio Lady Antebellum played to a sold-out James Brown Arena almost a year ago and perform locally again Friday.

Only a few thousand fans were lucky enough to get a ticket for the special acoustic concert to mark the dedication of Lady Antebellum Pavilion at Evans Town Center Park.

You might not have a ticket for this one, but Keela Colombraro, Columbia County’s community events specialist, says that because the pavilion is an open-air venue they expect to see some fans hanging around the perimeter to hear the music.

“We talked about blocking the road or prohibiting people from parking nearby, or walking, but we want it to have a nice community feel, so we’re not going to stop them,” Colombraro said. “A lot of people may just be out walking or something, and they may stop to listen, and that’s fine.”

You might get another chance

Lady A already has another stop in Augusta scheduled – May 22, 2012. The Augusta stop on the second leg of their Own The Night tour was announced Oct. 17 by the group’s publicity company, The Green Room. The venue and the date tickets go on sale was not announced, but it is expected the trio will return to James Brown Arena. Opening for them will be country artist Darius Rucker and husband-wife duo Thompson Square.

What fans are saying

“I can’t stop crying, I’ve been here for two days, and I can’t believe I finally got them. The first time I heard their CD I fell in love with them. … I know every song.” – Tammy Zabenko, with tickets on Oct. 1

“I was talking to the lady behind the counter at the lodge, and she was a Lady Antebellum fan. I told her I had something to brag about because I can drive a few minutes and be right at the high school where they went; she was jealous of that.” – Robert Elliott, admitting this week he’d been a boastful fan while vacationing in North Carolina

“I’ve actually known the Kelleys for a long time. I was one of their babysitters growing up. … I haven’t seen them in years, so they probably wouldn’t even remember me, because they were toddlers. But, I’ve followed them.” – Julie Buchanan, who said the concert is on her birthday

That’s cool

• Twinkle Twinkle Little Rock Star - www.ttlrs.com - the creators of lullaby versions of many rock, pop, metal and country music hits, has just released a Lady Antebellum album. It includes Just A Kiss and other hits so even the littlest family member can be a fan.
  • In December 2006, Lady Antebellum performed at the Blue Horse Music Hall at 985 Broad St. Tickets cost $10 in advance or $12 at the door. This was before their major label recording contract. Charles Kelley told The Chronicle, “We’ve been playing these showcases, and what started as maybe 60 people in the audience has grown to more than 200. That tells you that we’re on the right track.”
  • On Nov. 9, Lady A will perform live on the Country Music Association Awards show on ABC.
writer
writer 10/27/11 - 07:42 am
West Lake subdivision in

West Lake subdivision in Hephzibah? I guess Hephzibah's in Columbia County now.

Riverman1
Riverman1 10/27/11 - 07:44 am
How can ANYONE in the CSRA,

How can ANYONE in the CSRA, much less a Chronicle writer not know they grew up in Martinez? Heh.

Riverman1
Riverman1 10/27/11 - 07:51 am
It's hilarious that Hephzibah

It's hilarious that Hephzibah was even mentioned. How did that happen???

Sean Moores
Sean Moores 10/27/11 - 08:24 am
Thanks for pointing that out.

Thanks for pointing that out. We had a couple of errors in this story. They have been fixed.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 10/27/11 - 08:28 am
The first paragraph now

The first paragraph now reads:

Lady Antebellum consists of Charles Kelley and Dave Haywood, who grew up in the West Lake subdivision in Martinez, as well as Hillary Scott of Nashville, Tenn.

Okay, you fixed the Hephzibah mistake; but you still have the error about Dave Haywood. He grew up in Martinez for sure, but not in West Lake subdivision. It was another subdivision on the other side of Stevens Creek Road.

Riverman1
Riverman1 10/27/11 - 08:41 am
I don't know exactly what

I don't know exactly what neighborhood he grew up in, but if he every moves back to Martinez, I'll bet it will be West Lake...or better. Heh.

Willow Bailey
20605
Willow Bailey 10/27/11 - 09:00 am
Okay, I have the right to

Okay, I have the right to remain silent, but do I have the ability?

Riverman1
Riverman1 10/27/11 - 09:02 am
Come on, Willow...fess up.

Come on, Willow...fess up. Where did he grow up?

seenitB4
seenitB4 10/27/11 - 09:12 am
Hehehehh willow ...ya funny

Hehehehh willow ...ya funny this am..
Great band & music....:)

Sean Moores
Sean Moores 10/27/11 - 09:22 am
I tried to find independent

I tried to find independent verification that they both grew up in West Lake, but I couldn't do it. I'm removing it to be safe.
I apologize for the errors. We should do a better job of fact checking our stories.

Riverman1
Riverman1 10/27/11 - 09:26 am
It was no big deal. But it

It was no big deal. But it was all kind of funny with the Hephzibah thing, not there haven't been some great performers from there. I can think of one.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 10/27/11 - 09:46 am
Okay, the first paragraph is

Okay, the first paragraph is accurate now. But I wish you would have left it "Martinez" instead of the all-inclusive "Columbia County." It's so impersonal now. :-(

I was also thinking about the fifth paragraph:

Only a few hundred fans were lucky enough (and smart to wait overnight) to get a ticket for the special acoustic concert to mark the dedication of Lady Antebellum Pavilion at Evans Town Center Park.

The Columbia County News-Times reports that there'll be about 5,000 packed seats at the concert, so the "few hundred fans" seems a bit modest in this story. Perhaps the reporters were enumerating how many fans spent two nights in the chilly weather in line for tickets and not how many fans were "lucky enough to get a ticket."

Ex-SC Gov. Edwards dies

CHARLESTON, S.C. - James B. Edwards, South Carolina's first Republican governor since Reconstruction and later energy secretary for two years in the Reagan administration, has died.