1. DUJOUR FINE FOODS: This gourmet grocery and deli serves all its sandwiches on healthful helpings of fresh-baked bread. If the bread, which evidently man cannot live by alone, isn't enough, try the Vegitalian. It adds vegetables, including the carb-loaded avocado, to the mix. 1128 Broad St.
2. RUTH'S: Conveniently situated on Washington Road about halfway between downtown and the bike trails near Clarks Hill, S.C. A stack of Ruth's pancakes and a bowl of grits on the side should provide plentiful pedal power. 3843 Washington Road
3. MANUEL'S BREAD CAFÉ: The bread is good, but it's the potatoes that offer true carb delight. Manuel's has built a loyal following for its fresh-cut and beautifully crispy fries. A more pretentious joint might go so far as to call them pommes frittes, but part of Manuel's magic is its low-key approach to great dining. 505 Railroad Ave., North Augusta
4. NACHO MAMA'S: It's all about the beans. The Mama's super-size burritos come equipped with all manner of carb delights, including your choice of pinto or black beans and avocados. 976 Broad St.
5. LUIGI'S: The sophisticated carb-loader is always on the lookout for exceptional pasta. Luigi's has been serving it up right for more than 60 years. That's a lot of noodles. An Augusta tradition. 590 Broad St.