Here are seven ways to save at the theater:
1. Go to a matinee. Tickets are several dollars cheaper during the day.
At Evans Stadium Cinemas 14, the adult admission price before 6 p.m. is $7. Afterward, the cost is $9.50.
Assistant Manager Austin Ryan said that going to a matinee is a great way to save on 3-D films . You can see a matinee screening of a 3-D movie for $9.50. At night, it’s $12.
At Regal Cinemas Augusta Exchange 20, the price is $7.50 for regular adult tickets before 3 p.m. Afterward, tickets prices go up to $10.
2. Get senior, children’s and student discounts. All day, seniors (age 55 and older) and children (ages 3 to 11) at Evans can get regular admission tickets for $7 and 3-D tickets for $9.50.
At Regal , tickets are $6.50 for children (3 to 11), $7 for seniors (60 and older) and $8.50 for military.
From Sunday to Thursday, students can get tickets for $8.50.
3. Sign up for a rewards card. At Regal , the Regal Crown Club card allows customers to earn credits for free movies, popcorn and soft drinks.
The card is free, and you earn one credit for every dollar spent on admissions.
At the concession stand, you earn four credits for any purchase or eight credits for any promotional purchase.
Here’s what your points can earn: 50 credits, one free small popcorn; 100 credits, one free small soft drink; and 150 credits, one free movie ticket.
4. Save on refreshments. Take advantage of Dollar Days at Regal Cinemas on Mondays and Tuesdays.
Every Monday, you can buy a box of featured candy for $1. On Tuesdays, a small popcorn costs $1.
You can also save by making savvy concession choices. With the purchase of a medium popcorn, you can get a free upgrade to a large drink (combo 2) at Evans, which saves 50 cents. Refills are free.
The upgrade also applies to nacho combos.
5. Find deals at nearby businesses. I stopped by Roma’s Pizza at 1133 Agerton Lane before heading to the movies and learned that the pizzeria has deals for free movie tickets.
It has a Pizza-N-Movie for Four deal, which includes one 16-inch, two-topping pizza, 10 wings, four movie tickets and a pitcher of soft drink with one refill for $49.99.
6. Buy discount passes or Super Saver tickets. Some companies offer discount movie passes to their employees, which are several dollars cheaper than regular admission.
Regal Cinemas offers Super Saver Tickets, which can save customers up to 40 percent. There are some restrictions, but you can get tickets on Regal Entertainment Group’s Web site for $6.50 and $7.50.
In addition, AAA Auto Club South sells discounted movie tickets to its members, said Augusta branch manager Lynda Hines.
At Regal Cinemas, AAA has restricted tickets for $7.23, which excludes the first few weeks that a movie shows. It also sells premium tickets for $7.93, which includes new-release films.
Also, AAA Auto Club South sells restricted tickets to Georgia Theatre Co. moviehouses, including Evans . The tickets cost $7.79.
Members can purchase any of the above tickets at AAA’s office at 3601 Walton Way Extension in Augusta.
7. Join Fandango’s fan mail club. You can receive exclusive offers, including $1 movie tickets, according to its Web site.