McDuffie County family homeless after mobile home fire

Wednesday, Dec. 9, 2009 2:42 PM
Last updated Tuesday, June 1, 2010 8:34 PM
  • Follow Latest News

DEARING, Ga. - A McDuffie County couple and their three children are homeless after fire swept through their mobile during the midst of a severe thunderstorm Wednesday morning.

Although everyone managed to escape unharmed, the family lost practically all of their personal belongings.

The doublewide mobile home, owned by Marcus Boyd, had been home to Bobby and Tiffany Taylor for the past two years.

A storm, packing strong winds, is believed to have caused a large pine tree to fall onto a power pole, knocking down lines and causing a shortage in the electrical panel box inside the home about 6:30 a.m.

Capt. Bobby Reynolds of the McDuffie County Fire/Rescue Services said the preliminary cause of the fire was due to the storm, which carried with it vivid lightening and heavy rain.

A short time after she and her children returned home from taking her husband to work, Mrs. Taylor said she heard "a big boom" sound. "I looked outside and saw that a tree had fallen onto a power pole and caused power lines to fall down. The lights went out."

She later smelled smoke and quickly got some of her personal belongings and loaded up the family vehicle.

"I didn't want my children or myself to be in the house, if it was on fire," Mrs. Taylor said.

A few minutes later, flames appeared around an electrical panel box near her sons' front bedroom.

More than a dozen firefighters battled thick smoke and heavy rain before bring the blaze under control.

Comments (7) Add comment
ADVISORY: Users are solely responsible for opinions they post here and for following agreed-upon rules of civility. Posts and comments do not reflect the views of this site. Posts and comments are automatically checked for inappropriate language, but readers might find some comments offensive or inaccurate. If you believe a comment violates our rules, click the "Flag as offensive" link below the comment.
sunnyday
1
Points
sunnyday 12/09/09 - 04:25 pm
0
0
Is there a way people can

Is there a way people can help this family out?

truthnlove
0
Points
truthnlove 12/09/09 - 04:27 pm
0
0
I'd like to know that too

I'd like to know that too sunnyday.

ForHim
2
Points
ForHim 12/09/09 - 05:10 pm
0
0
Email

Email dianneon1117@hotmail.com and they will give you information

sharalee
0
Points
sharalee 12/09/09 - 05:47 pm
0
0
you can contact Tasha Dinger

you can contact Tasha Dinger at her hair salon at 706-595-3500. Thank you for caring.

ubatch041
0
Points
ubatch041 12/09/09 - 06:11 pm
0
0
Contact Mario Banez at

Contact Mario Banez at American Red Cross and they will put the family up at an area hotel and give them other financial assistance. 706-724-8481 X8482.

tinkerbell656
0
Points
tinkerbell656 12/09/09 - 06:19 pm
0
0
This is truely wonderful.

This is truely wonderful. Its nice to see that with all the hate and crime in this world that there are people that still care! God Bless Yall!

corgimom
31524
Points
corgimom 12/09/09 - 07:19 pm
0
0
Don't ever stop to get

Don't ever stop to get personal belongings. Just GET OUT. Things can be replaced, people can't. If you see flames, if you see smoke, if you smell smoke, it's already past the point where it's safe for you to be in there.

Back to Top

Search Augusta jobs