The annual Pioneer Day program will be held from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Satuday at Lincoln County Historical Park, 147 Lumber Street, Lincolnton.
This event, sponsored annually by the Lincoln County Historical Society, will feature living-history demonstrations, food, entertainment, and much more.
Last year's attendence was estimated at 3,000.
Bunch-Poss Gristmill Built in the late 1920s, the mill was moved from its home on Ward Avenue to the historical park in the summer of 2005 and since then has undergone extensive renovations. Donated by Jackie and Alex Willingham, the gristmill was in operation until the late 1970s.
Salem Academy, a one-room school house dating back to the early 1900s. The school building, along with its "outdoor plumbing," were carefully transported from Salem Baptist Church to the historical park in July of 2006.
A Pine Log Cabin, Built around 1800, the 16' x 22' structure boasts two porches, wooden-shutter windows, an open-face fireplace, and a variety of period furnishings. Although the builder of the cabin is unknown, records show that it was once the home of Andrew Jackson Reid who fought for the South in the Civil War. The cabin was donated to the historical society by Dr. Robert Williams.
The Hogan Blacksmith Shop - This building contains two forges, one run with bellows and the other with a hand-turned blower. It is a replica of the old blacksmith shop on the "Hollenshead Place" on the Augusta Highway.
The Groves-May House - Built in the 1870s and appointed with period furnishings, the two-story house serves as the focal point of the park. Quilts will be on display here during Pioneer Day.
Doctor's Office - Built by Dr. E.R. May, the office houses medical equipment donated to the historical society by Dr. Weems Pennington, Sr.; his wife, Margaret; and others.
The F.M. Hogan General Store - Was relocated to the park from the Woodlawn Community of Lincoln County.
Cotton Gin - It is believed that this animal-powered cotton gin dates back to the 1830s and 40s and was manufactured in Clinton, Georgia (Jones County). There are very few gins of this type in the United States. The gin was a gift from L.E. Reese.
The Estes, Lake and Ferguson Smokehouse - The smokehouse was one of the first buildings acquired by the society. Built around 1790, it was previously located on the "Estes Place" on Lovelace Road in Lincoln County.
Corncrib - This 8' x 10' cabin came from the "Old Frank Hardy Place" on the Augusta Highway. The unshucked corn was dug out of the crib with a pitchfork. Two sides of the structure have been converted into a concession stand.
The Adamson Family Turpentine Still, a recent addition to the collection, from Glenville Georgia.
Antique Tractor Display
Family Entertainment at the Lewis Family Pavilion. This 60' x 60' multi-purpose structure features a stage, restrooms, storage rooms, a sound system, and slatted wooden pews purchased from the Union Grove Campground in White County, Georgia. The building was officially named after "America's First Family of Bluegrass Gospel Music" at a special ceremony held at the park in May of 2003.
Talks on matters of historical interest (delivered in the Salem Academy Schoolhouse),
Living history demonstrations including blacksmithing, corn grinding, cotton ginning and washing clothes the old-fashioned way.
Whats to eat? Southern Cooking at its best. Apple Fritters, Red Beans and Rice, Chicken and Dumplings, Sausage Biscuits, Ham Biscuits, Turnip Greens, Hoe Cakes, and for the young folks, well also have hot dogs, hamburgers and fries.
Whats for sale? A variety of items will be for sale including arts and crafts, honey, home-canned jellies, preserves and vegetables, grits, cakes, pies, cookies, candies and Southern Cooking at its best.