This morning, Westside High School math teacher Robert Davis got quite a surprise as he opened his classroom door and found a snake on the floor a few feet inside, prompting him to quickly motion for the schools principal, who was walking by at the time and radioed for backup from the maintenance department.
In a matter of seconds, several staff members responded to the room, some teachers hesitantly leaned out from classroom doors down the hall and news of the snake had even made its way to some students in other classes.
The foot-long gray and black snake was quickly ruled to be non-poisonous, was scooped up with a shovel and was taken outside where it was killed.
If its cold outside, theyre going to find the warmest place they can, said Larry Chance, who responded with the school systems environmental department.
There were no students in the class at the time. A school system pest control officer who was called in said he would inspect the room to make sure another snake couldnt get in.
Thats never happened to me in 26 years, said principal Debbie Alexander, noting with a smile how at 10:30 a.m. the day had already proved interesting.