No one injured in Harlem house fire

Saturday, Oct. 17, 2009 5:23 PM
Last updated 9:00 PM
  • Follow Latest News

A computer is most likely to blame for a fire that damaged a Harlem residence this afternoon, officials said.

The fire began at about 2 p.m. at a two-story brick home in the 100 block of Wells Drive inside Harlem city limits, said Scott Johnson, a volunteer firefighter with the Harlem Department of Public Safety.

Mr. Johnson said it appears as if the fire started in the home’s upstairs office. The family, including two small children, was inside the residence when the blaze began, he said. No one was injured.

“It looked like a computer caught on fire,” he said. “A computer was on fire when one of the parents got upstairs.”

The fire was called in by the homeowners, who tried to put out the fire, but failed and vacated the home.

“We had a truck on the scene within a couple of minutes,” said Mr. Johnson, adding that Martinez-Columbia Fire Rescue firefighters assisted in extinguishing the fire.

Fire damage was contained to the upstairs portion of the home, with heavy smoke and water damage in the downstairs area, Mr. Johnson said. The family is making arrangements to stay elsewhere, he said.

Comments (4) Add comment
ADVISORY: Users are solely responsible for opinions they post here and for following agreed-upon rules of civility. Posts and comments do not reflect the views of this site. Posts and comments are automatically checked for inappropriate language, but readers might find some comments offensive or inaccurate. If you believe a comment violates our rules, click the "Flag as offensive" link below the comment.
charliemanson
1
Points
charliemanson 10/17/09 - 06:04 pm
0
0
People, if you own a laptop

People, if you own a laptop with a Lithium-ion battery, there is documented evidence that those batteries will catch on fire. Apple, Dell, Toshiba and Lenovo had to recall laptops that had Lithium-ion batteries (made by Sony) a couple of years ago because the battery will burst into flames. Also, if you using an extension cord go with a 12-gauge cord to lessen the chance of electrical overload. You can find 12-gauge extension cords at hardware stores such as Lowes. And while you at the hardware store, make sure you get some smoke detectors for your home.

momma mia
2
Points
momma mia 10/17/09 - 07:05 pm
0
0
The article doesn't say it

The article doesn't say it was a laptop....

charliemanson
1
Points
charliemanson 10/17/09 - 07:35 pm
0
0
Momma: the article doesn't

Momma: the article doesn't say it was a desktop, either.

corgimom
38238
Points
corgimom 10/17/09 - 08:12 pm
0
0
My computer caught on fire

My computer caught on fire back in August when I turned it on. It's not a laptop.

Back to Top

Top headlines

MCG student, class buy kids' books for Ferguson library

Three weeks after the Missouri grand jury indictment verdict, Ashee Nicole Sharer created a Ferguson wish list on BarnesAndNoble.com, urging classmates to purchase a book for the Ferguson ...
Search Augusta jobs