One dead in Columbia Co. mobile home fire

A fatal mobile home fire claimed the life of a Columbia County resident this morning.

Johnny Bell, 67, likely died due to smoke inhalation, according to Columbia County Deputy Coroner Harriett Garrison.

The fire was started by candles in the back room of his home in the 600 block of Al Dempsy Road around 6:30 a.m.

“Mr. Bell did not have electricity, so he was using a lantern and candles to light his home,” Garrison said.

When crews arrived to the home, the fire had engulfed the single-wide mobile home, Martinez-Columbia Fire Rescue spokeswoman Honey Shore said.

An autopsy will be conducted on Bell at a later date.

More

Savannah River Site resumes normal activity

A suspicious item was discovered Wednesday afternoon at the Savannah River National Laboratory which prompted emergency responseactivities.

... Read more