Tests to be done on dead boy, 4

Sunday, Aug 9, 2009 1:01 PM
Last updated 3:37 PM
  • Follow Latest News

ATHENS, Ga. — Toxicology and other blood tests might show what killed a 4-year-old boy who complained of a headache and upset stomach Friday, then stopped breathing later that day.

Athens-Clarke police arrived shortly before 11 p.m. to a house on Cone Drive, responding to a report of a child not breathing, according to police.

EMTs tried to resuscitate the boy and transported him to the hospital.

The boy's aunt, who was caring for him, told police that the boy refused to eat about 8:30 p.m. and had complained of a headache.

He went to sleep, and when his aunt tried to wake him to put him to bed, she found him unresponsive and not breathing.

The boy's body was sent to the Georgia Bureau of Investigation's Crime Lab for autopsy, a standard procedure when a child dies. The autopsy showed no obvious signs of what killed the boy, and lab tests could take weeks.

But authorities don't suspect he was abused or mistreated, according to Clarke County Coroner Sonny Wilson.

"It's natural causes. Nothing appears to be suspicious," Wilson said.

Comments (3) Add comment
ADVISORY: Users are solely responsible for opinions they post here and for following agreed-upon rules of civility. Posts and comments do not reflect the views of this site. Posts and comments are automatically checked for inappropriate language, but readers might find some comments offensive or inaccurate. If you believe a comment violates our rules, click the "Flag as offensive" link below the comment.
Debster 08/09/09 - 02:26 pm
How incredibly sad! My

How incredibly sad! My prayers go out to this family.

Lumbarsupport 08/09/09 - 06:10 pm
Without a doubt, a tragic

Without a doubt, a tragic story for all involved.

christie 08/09/09 - 09:04 pm
God bless the parents and

God bless the parents and family. My heart goes out to you.

Back to Top
Search Augusta jobs
Top headlines
Augusta man sues city, sheriff officers over alleged tasing
An Augusta man who said he suffered a skull fracture after being tased in jail has filed suit against Augusta and two Richmond County sheriff's officers.