Ammonia kills Wagener woman

Wednesday, July 15, 2009 4:06 PM
Last updated 8:36 PM
  • Follow Latest News

COLUMBIA — A Wagener woman was killed and a half-dozen others were treated at a hospital after nearly 2,000 gallons of ammonia leaked from a tanker truck today, state health officials said.

The tanker was unloading anhydrous ammonia at a Tanner Industries distribution facility in Lexington County about 8 a.m. when a hose connecting the truck to a storage tank ruptured, Department of Health and Environmental Control spokesman Thom Berry said.

About 1,800 gallons of the 7,500 gallons on board spilled out before one of the truck's drivers could hit an emergency shutoff valve, Berry said.

The ammonia — a hazardous chemical typically used in cleaning products — quickly evaporated, creating a plume of noxious gas that drifted across nearby U.S. Highway 321, Berry said.

Jacqueline Ginyard, 38, of Wagener, drove into the cloud, tried to get out of her vehicle and was overcome by the fumes, Lexington County Coroner Harry Harman said.

"This material was nearly 100 percent pure ammonia," Berry said. "It is a strong irritant. It does cause burning of the eyes, throat and lungs."

In all, more than a dozen people in the area received medical attention. Seven were taken to a hospital in Lexington for treatment of non-life threatening injuries, while seven others either declined treatment or were assisted at the scene, Berry said.

All employees at the Tanner facility were evacuated.

Officials do not believe nearby residents are in danger, although Berry said several DHEC teams are going door-to-door in the predominantly rural area, talking with people about the leak. The agency has also set up a toll-free number for questions.

Since the ammonia evaporated almost instantly, little cleanup is needed, Berry said, although some bushes and grass were blackened by the spilled liquid.

A spokesman for Tanner Industries said the Southampton, Pa.-based company would send a team to South Carolina to investigate.

"It's been a terrible day for us obviously," said David Binder. "We've had a good track record, and we've always been committed to protecting the health and safety of employees, communities and the environment."

Binder said Tanner processes anhydrous ammonia and other chemical products used by power plants, cold-storage facilities and water-treatment plants.

The U.S. Chemical Safety Board is also sending a team of investigators.

Authorities are still looking at the role of ammonia gas released in a blast at a North Carolina ConAgra Inc. last month that killed three people. Several weeks later, an ammonia leak at a poultry processing plant in the state killed one worker and injured four others.

Comments (7) Add comment
ADVISORY: Users are solely responsible for opinions they post here and for following agreed-upon rules of civility. Posts and comments do not reflect the views of this site. Posts and comments are automatically checked for inappropriate language, but readers might find some comments offensive or inaccurate. If you believe a comment violates our rules, click the "Flag as offensive" link below the comment.
Little Lamb
Little Lamb 07/15/09 - 04:11 pm
Was it anhydrous ammonia or

Was it anhydrous ammonia or aqueous ammonia?

Fiat_Lux 07/15/09 - 04:19 pm
I smell a very big lawsuit

I smell a very big lawsuit coming. I'll bet that PA-based company is send a team to investigate. The NTSB should send someone as well.

jamesj 07/15/09 - 04:23 pm
Why did she get out instead

Why did she get out instead of driving through it?

rufus 07/15/09 - 04:24 pm
I worked briefly at Columbia

I worked briefly at Columbia Nitrogen and part of the house made ammonia for the ammonia nitrate. They coached you how to determine the wind direction, hold your breath and run into the wind when caught in an ammonia cloud. Now that could have been a lawsuit

patriciathomas 07/15/09 - 05:06 pm
anhydrous ammonia boils at

anhydrous ammonia boils at -28F and whatever flashes off of aqueous is all ammonia. Either way, those that have ever walked into a cloud of NH3 know that breathing isn't an option. The one tiny breath I took in an NH3 cloud stopped me from being able to inhale for about 2.5 minutes. It was not a pleasant experience. I can't imagine trying to drive under these circumstances. BIG lawsuit.

oldenuff2nobetter 07/15/09 - 05:54 pm
Andhydrous ammonia is a

Andhydrous ammonia is a perfect refrigerant and will take your breathe away. Burns like heck when it touch your skin. Big lawsuit. What a bad way to go.

Jillian 07/15/09 - 11:56 pm
What a horrible tragedy.

What a horrible tragedy. Money may not buy happiness, but it sure is gonna buy this woman's family a lot of days where they will never have to worry about not having it.

My heart goes out to her family and the guy who was driving this truck.

Back to Top
Search Augusta jobs
Top headlines
Augusta homicides up, but no cases recently
Although Augusta homicides are up compared with this time last year, police say a two-month absence of any is proof that some of their crime initiatives are paying off.