Two more H1N1 flu cases reported at Fort Gordon

Friday, June 26, 2009 12:24 PM
Last updated 4:24 PM
  • Follow Latest News

There are two more confirmed case of the novel influenza A H1N1 virus at Fort Gordon, the post reported this afternoon.

A 22-year-old family member of a service member and a 15-year-old family member of a service member were infected with the virus. The patients are not related and the cases are not related, said spokeswoman Marla Jones. The patients live in the Augusta area but she could not say where. None of the other family members were tested.

“No one else in the families involved had symptoms,” Ms. Jones said.

The 15-year-old boy was examined and tested Tuesday and is recovering at home, the post said in its news release. The 22-year-old man went to Dwight D. Eisenhower Army Medical Center on June 16 complaining of “mild, flu-like symptoms,” the post said in its news release, including fever and breathing problems. He was sent home for isolation and is also recovering, the news release said. That would bring to three the number of confirmed cases at the Fort, including a 42-year-old National Guardsman on temporary duty at the post who was sick earlier this month. He has since recovered and gone home.

The new Fort Gordon cases come on the heels of an earlier announcement Friday about a second Georgia Southern University student has been infected with the novel virus, bringing to three the number of confirmed cases associated with the school. None of those cases are related, however, the Southeast Health District said in a release.

The district did not provide any further details on the latest case, which was confirmed late Thursday by the Georgia Division of Public Health laboratory.

On Wednesday, the Southeast Health District announced two other confirmed cases, one a Georgia Southern student and another who attended Georgia Boy’s State camp on the school’s campus. Both of those patients are recovering or have recovered, the health district said.

Georgia had 65 confirmed cases as of Thursday, said Belen Moran, state health risk communicator for the Division of Public Health.

The World Health Organization declared the virus a pandemic earlier this month because of the spread across more than 70 countries. Illness from the virus has generally been mild, however. In the U.S., there have been 27,717 confirmed cases as of Thursday, with 127 deaths. In addition to the Georgia cases, South Carolina Department of Health and Environmental Control has confirmed 120 infections from the new virus, including four in Aiken County.


Top headlines

Faces of Survival: Breast Cancer Awareness Month series

Breast cancer has touched thousands of families across the Augusta area. In honor of Breast Cancer Awareness Month in October, The Au­gus­ta Chronicle will be featuring ...
Search Augusta jobs