An Athens-Clarke fire inspector said its likely the blazes started because of power outages caused by a weekend snowstorm.
An apartment building on Epps Bridge Road went up in flames Monday night leaving 37 people homeless. Investigators said 19 apartments were gutted. It was determined that food left on a stove ignited the flames.
Another fire early Tuesday on Baxter Drive gutted 16 apartments - 14 people were displaced. A resident was told a candle may have started the fire.
The American Red Cross and a local church provided assistance to victims of both fires.