Fire kills North Augusta man

Wednesday, March 4, 2009 10:42 AM
Last updated 12:14 PM
  • Follow Latest News

A housefire killed an 82-year-old North Augusta man Tuesday night.

James Thorpe of 3 Linnet Loop was caught in a fire while he was sleeping in his home around 8 p.m., said North Augusta Public Safety Capt. Charles Williams.

Mr. Thorpe’s space heater apparently made contact with something in the home, Capt. Williams said. He was taken to the Joseph M. Still Burn Center at Doctors Hospital, suffering first- and second-degree burns.

He was pronounced dead at the burn center, authorities said.

Mr. Thorpe was the first fire fatality in Aiken County in 2009, Coroner Tim Carlton said.

Comments (1) Add comment
ADVISORY: Users are solely responsible for opinions they post here and for following agreed-upon rules of civility. Posts and comments do not reflect the views of this site. Posts and comments are automatically checked for inappropriate language, but readers might find some comments offensive or inaccurate. If you believe a comment violates our rules, click the "Flag as offensive" link below the comment.
nofrillls13
0
Points
nofrillls13 03/04/09 - 11:24 am
0
0
may god bless him, what a

may god bless him, what a senseless death

Back to Top

Top headlines

More Americans traveling this holiday season

You might want to get a head start to Grandma's house this year. It appears more Americans - 98.6 million - will be traveling this holiday season than ever.
Search Augusta jobs