One critically injured in fire at personal care home

Saturday, Feb. 7, 2009 5:00 PM
Last updated 11:49 PM
  • Follow Latest News

A man received second and third degree burns in a fire that broke out about 2 a.m. this morning at a personal care home in Columbia County.

Robert Everett, 44 , a resident of the home, is listed in critical condition at Doctors Hospital’s Joseph M. Still Burn Center, according to center spokeswoman Beth Frits.

Honey Shore, a spokeswoman with Martinez-Columbia Fire Res­cue, said the blaze occurred at Smith Personal Care Home, 5432 Old Augusta Highway, Grove­town. Ms. Shore said the home’s owners are Brenda and Earnest Smith.

Mrs. Smith’s sister, Crystal Smith, said the home cares for six men. She said those inside during the fire, including her sister and brother-in-law, have found another place to stay.

Glenn Allen, a spokesman for the Georgia Insurance and Safety Fire Commissioner’s office, which is investigating, said the fire originated in a kitchen/dining area and that officials are focusing on an electric space heater that was there.

Comments (6) Add comment
ADVISORY: Users are solely responsible for opinions they post here and for following agreed-upon rules of civility. Posts and comments do not reflect the views of this site. Posts and comments are automatically checked for inappropriate language, but readers might find some comments offensive or inaccurate. If you believe a comment violates our rules, click the "Flag as offensive" link below the comment.
ListenAndLearn
0
Points
ListenAndLearn 02/07/09 - 06:08 pm
0
0
This is such a scary thing to

This is such a scary thing to me, when there's not near as much staff as there are residents. It's difficult getting old and even more difficult watching your parents get old. I'm sure this was traumatic for everyone involved.

gabassist
0
Points
gabassist 02/07/09 - 10:19 pm
0
0
While this is truly a scary

While this is truly a scary event, this report doesn't state whether it was a resident at the home or one of the staff who was injured. As my wife was in a similar home until her death (two years ago), I can appreciate the concern from the staff and family of all residents.

carolinagirl1970
2
Points
carolinagirl1970 02/08/09 - 12:10 am
0
0
Yes this is scary I work in a

Yes this is scary I work in a personal home care and we always have fire drills. I hope everyone will be okay. Should always practice fire drills whether the client participates we have one that so slow to get out I will make sure I get most of them out and myself. You can only do so much in personal home care it is a lot of responsibility and aggravation.

assureddispatcher
0
Points
assureddispatcher 02/08/09 - 10:53 am
0
0
I'm a family member of the

I'm a family member of the home owners. I feel I need to say that, yes, they do have fire drills , not only is it safe, but required. Believe me when I say every one did everything they could to make sure all were out of the house. If you re-read the article it tell's you EXACTLY who was injured in the fire. Please pray for my family and the family of those we cared for in the home. God bless you all.

Xxunder_cover_angelxX
0
Points
Xxunder_cover_angelxX 02/08/09 - 07:47 pm
0
0
i am a close cousin of the

i am a close cousin of the smith family,they did indeed take very good care of their clients,no one mentioned that mr smith was burnt as well trying to get the client out that is in the hospital and his face and hair was singed..they even took their clients on vacation...brenda has done nothing but cry,not just because of her home but her clients as well..her husband also had to be taken to the er..but he seems to be ok..PLEASE PRAY FOR THE CLIENT THAT IS IN THE HOSPITAL AND THIS FAMILY..FOR THEY LOST EVERYTHING..MY MOM WENT YESTERDAY AND BAUGHT BRENDA SOME STUFF,AS DID ANOTHER RELATIVE TOOK HER HUSBAND SHOPPING TO..it will take time for all to heal from this....god bless you brenda and ernie we love you..

carolinagirl1970
2
Points
carolinagirl1970 02/08/09 - 11:53 pm
0
0
I just seen where that guy

I just seen where that guy died my prayers are with everyone. Assuredd I did read the article and yes I seen who was hurt. I was not trying to be smart about what I said. I do that kind of work myself and it upset me too.

Back to Top

Top headlines

Kettle donations rise in 2014

After a disappointing showing last year, donations to the Salvation Army's local Red Kettle Campaign have risen nearly 20 percent in 2014.
Search Augusta jobs