The fire broke out shortly before noon during the lunch period.
“One of our ovens had an electrical problem, causing a small amount of sparks and smoke that was contained inside the oven itself,” said Principal Kay Sanders. “As a precaution, we pulled the alarm and had the fire department check it out.”
The building was evacuated while Martinez-Columbia Fire Rescue firefighters used fans to clear smoke from the kitchen.
The oven was disconnected and regular school operations, including lunch, resumed after about half an hour, she said.