North Columbia Elementary evaucated after oven fire

  • Follow Latest News

No one was hurt this morning when North Columbia Elementary School in Appling was evacuated after an oven caught fire.

The fire broke out shortly before noon during the lunch period.

“One of our ovens had an electrical problem, causing a small amount of sparks and smoke that was contained inside the oven itself,” said Principal Kay Sanders. “As a precaution, we pulled the alarm and had the fire department check it out.”

The building was evacuated while Martinez-Columbia Fire Rescue firefighters used fans to clear smoke from the kitchen.

The oven was disconnected and regular school operations, including lunch, resumed after about half an hour, she said.

loading...
Top headlines

Palmer plans to hit honorary tee shot at Masters

Despite a dislocated shoulder that has slowed his gait and prevented him from playing golf, Arnold Palmer has no intention of missing his appointed tee time at Augusta National Golf Club next month.
Search Augusta jobs