'Avatar' inconsistent with Christianity

I enjoyed Avatar for its special effects and its plot. There was rarely a dull moment, even though many of the themes were borrowed from The Matrix, Star Wars, The Third Day and other science-fiction movies. It is important for anyone who professes to be a Christian to be aware of the deeper message of the movie.

At the outset, American troops are sent to the planet Pandora. It quickly becomes apparent that these individuals are, for the most part, the greedy and unethical "bad guys." Only a couple of them, apparently along with the scientists on the mission, seem to have any sense of moral direction.

The alien life forms that are the focus of Avatar are portrayed as a close-knit community with strong family values. They practice a religion in which they believe that there are spirits in every living thing, including trees and animals. There also is a reference in the movie to a female deity who is recognized by these alien life forms. Near the end of the movie, we learn that she does "not take sides" but rather "preserves the balance of life," according to one of the main characters.

Christian parents should point out to their children, and to any other Christians who care, that there is a deep message in Avatar that is not consistent with their beliefs. Also, there are references to communion with departed tenants (necromancy) as well as hints of ancestor worship.

Christians believe that God manifest Himself in flesh as Jesus Christ, died on the cross in their place, rose again the third day, ascended into heaven, intercedes for us and is coming back. Other religions of the world look to "self-realization" in some form or fashion, and Avatar is a poster child for this type of thinking.

Everyone has a right to believe or not believe whatever they choose as far as religion. This is a great part of living in the United States, along with the right to express our views on these issues. I hope that mature Christians will decide to see Avatar when it comes to the discount theatres. The film's producers already have made enough money.

But we do need to be aware of what is being promoted as an awesome movie, and we need to be especially aware of the deeper message.

Jason Hasty

Martinez

Dudleydudley
Dudleydudley 01/26/10 - 03:57 am
What a nutbag. I'm actually

What a nutbag. I'm actually embarrassed to be from Augusta.

Dudleydudley
Dudleydudley 01/26/10 - 04:00 am
How did this get published?

How did this get published? AC must be desperate for letters. Everyone with a point of view on ANYTHING, please write in. Apparently no level of idiocy is too low.

coco rubio
coco rubio 01/26/10 - 05:02 am
wow....hilarious..... i love

wow....hilarious..... i love the part where he says it's ok to check it out at the discount theatre....pssssttttt (it's just a movie)........ we'll all be fine....thanks.

Tigger_The_Tiger
Tigger_The_Tiger 01/26/10 - 05:41 am
Reminds me of a guy I know

Reminds me of a guy I know who won't let his kids see Harry Potter because they practice magic, but let them watch Star Wars where they use "the force." Or won't let them watch violent movies, but lets them play Halo. I just don't get it.

MarshCroaked
MarshCroaked 01/26/10 - 05:51 am
Hey, Coco, can ya maybe set

Hey, Coco, can ya maybe set up a big screen at Sky City and have a movie night with this guy standing by with an open mic to give reviews? We need more good comedy shows in town. I'd buy a ticket!

Riverman1
Riverman1 01/26/10 - 05:52 am
That girl had some tail.

That girl had some tail.

johnston.cliff
johnston.cliff 01/26/10 - 06:43 am
It's a movie. Anyone can

It's a movie. Anyone can "find" a hidden meaning in any movie if that's the goal. Personally, I watch movies for entertainment. This one has plenty. Relax Jason, there's a lot of things to stress over, but movies shouldn't be on the list.

MarshCroaked
MarshCroaked 01/26/10 - 06:48 am
I wonder what revelations are

I wonder what revelations are hidden if you wore the 3D glasses backwards......hmmmmm

Dixieman
Dixieman 01/26/10 - 07:14 am
It's only a movie. This is

It's only a movie. This is as stupid as people who have strong opinions about Vietnam based on having watched Platoon once. And I know some people who won't let their kids watch Disney's latest, The Princess and the Frog, which is a nice innocuous kiddie flick because there are some characters who cast voodoo spells in it (even though they meet unpleasant ends in the movie). I have told them it is set in New Orleans, so of course...but they read some weird Christian reviewing site and won't budge. Don't even think about mentioning Harry Potter at their house!

Fish Out of Water
Fish Out of Water 01/26/10 - 08:07 am
LOL... This is a science

LOL... This is a science fiction movie set in a fictional and distant planet, not a documentary on religion. It must be cumbersome taking EVERYTHING in life so seriously.

seenitB4
seenitB4 01/26/10 - 08:11 am
Some people don't need to go

Some people don't need to go to movies,, & some do..It's just a movie.. Let's not get pc about everything.

TheDeerhunter
TheDeerhunter 01/26/10 - 08:42 am
hey coco, can u bring the

hey coco, can u bring the band deerhunter to sky city? anyway, jason hasty is an attorney for the public defender's office. Nice guy, but yea its just a damn movie.

grouse
grouse 01/26/10 - 08:56 am
Christianity is inconsistent

Christianity is inconsistent with reality.

mikeelliott
mikeelliott 01/26/10 - 09:13 am
I personally am glad to read

I personally am glad to read this. We should be made to think a little more about things that are designed to keep us from doing just that. I enjoy special effects as much as anybody, but what is so terrible to admit that there are messages in everything from songs to advertisments to movies...and, yes, even in editorial comments.

john
john 01/26/10 - 09:23 am
perhaps this would be better

perhaps this would be better placed in the curch bullitin.

Bond..James..Bond
Bond..James..Bond 01/26/10 - 09:27 am
It's just an article.

It's just an article. Telling parents to explain things to their children is not that bad is it. The author was actually pretty respectful of both sides until the "discount theatre" comment.

tfryman58
tfryman58 01/26/10 - 09:30 am
Remember everyone has a

Remember everyone has a opinion. That is why we have Freedom of Speech, that has been fought for and died for. Christianity is not inconsistent, it is the people who miss interpret what they are reading. I am a Christian and I do not believe in what others believe. I am not going to preach. My family knows that movies are for entertainment and that it is not real. For those of you that do not understand it means it is MAKE BELIEVE.

stewartist
stewartist 01/26/10 - 09:31 am
Dude...you need to get a

Dude...you need to get a life...on this planet

aftbrn
aftbrn 01/26/10 - 09:46 am
Avatar is easier to digest

Avatar is easier to digest than the story about a man rising from the dead after three days. Are you kidding me? This must really have been written in jest.

Bond..James..Bond
Bond..James..Bond 01/26/10 - 09:52 am
tfryman58: WELL PUT

tfryman58: WELL PUT

jiclemens
jiclemens 01/26/10 - 09:53 am
It is more than

It is more than 'opinionating' when a newspaper starts proselytizing not just religion in general, but Christianity specifically, EVERY SINGLE DAY, alongside ultra-rightwing, war-mongering drivel. What an utterly offensive and amature paper this is. How on Earth does a Christian reconcile these things in their own head?
I agree it was just a movie. Get a life.

fd1962
fd1962 01/26/10 - 10:06 am
Now then, which of Jason's

Now then, which of Jason's stories is the Fantasy?

howcanweknow
howcanweknow 01/26/10 - 10:13 am
Forget Avatar. Did you see

Forget Avatar. Did you see "The Book of Eli"? Now that is a cool movie.

Dixieman
Dixieman 01/26/10 - 10:14 am
Hey, don't get me wrong. It

Hey, don't get me wrong. It is a great religion and I enjoy the company of MOST of its adherents. Like all big groups, there are some toys in the attic, but don't get all huffy about what the AC prints. If you don't like this stuff, don't read it. jc needs to find the Atlanta Journal Constitution website where he will find plenty of raving left-wing buddies.

dominionfs
dominionfs 01/26/10 - 10:22 am
'The alien life forms that

'The alien life forms that are the focus of Avatar are portrayed as a close-knit community with strong family values'. I can see why this might offend some and be inconsistant with christian teachings. 'They practice a religion in which they believe that there are spirits in every living thing, including trees and animals.' Much like American Indian spiritual beliefs which if I think about that is not a bad idea. Might actually teach me some respect for the things about me. 'we learn that she does "not take sides" but rather "preserves the balance of life," according to one of the main characters.' This does kinda blow the Chosen Few idea out of the water, doesn't it? 'There also is a reference in the movie to a female deity who is recognized by these alien life forms.' Now you gone and done it. Mr Movie Writer. Everyone knows God ain't a woman, It just ain't so. The Bible says HE. This is kinda like when Dan Brown starts out The DaVinci Code with 'THIS IS A NOVEL' and all the Christians set out to prove it's not true. Sheesh, Lawyerboy. Grow up and get a life.

Riverman1
Riverman1 01/26/10 - 10:50 am
I like "The Tooth Fairy."

I like "The Tooth Fairy." It's out now starring The Rock and Julie Andrews (figure that out). It kind of fits our discussion. Even the Tooth Fairy can be made fun of.

joeuser
joeuser 01/26/10 - 11:12 am
I thought the letter was very

I thought the letter was very well-worded and respectful towards those who call themselves Christians and those who are not....but why all the ANGER towards someone who points out a few things that people of the Christian faith should be aware of???...Whether you or I practice the Christian faith or NOT...do you really believe that movies are "just entertainment" and don't really affect the way we view things or behave??? Are you really that naieve??? Hmmmm??? That's like saying the candybars and popcorn at the theater won't make you fat...Oh... I forgot..."ENTERTAIN ME, ENTERTAIN ME, ENTERTAIN ME" you say as you watch the world go by and watch other people live out their dreams (acting) while you waste yours in your quest to be entertained all the time.

fd1962
fd1962 01/26/10 - 11:14 am
Well commented, dominionfs.

Well commented, dominionfs.

fd1962
fd1962 01/26/10 - 11:41 am
Joeuser, I'm assuming your

Joeuser, I'm assuming your reference (10:12) to 'you' is directed to the plural form of the pronoun, specifically to everyone, besides yourself, who is too 'stupid' to decipher the obvious educational and practical gospel from everything they watch. I guess you forgot that when the medium is the message, it doesn't actually require Moses coming off a mountaintop to explain life and influence behavior. Mel Brooks can accomplish the same quite well. BTW, where is all the ANGER you mentioned? Appears confined to your own post...

howcanweknow
howcanweknow 01/26/10 - 11:49 am
Notice that no one can really

Notice that no one can really dispute the truth of what Mr. Hasty says. Instead, they just attack him personally and, basically, call him an idiot. I thought the point of these forums was to debate the truth behind a letter, and not insult others -- even when you don't agree with their viewpoint? So much for tolerance, free speech, and open discussion.

Many black colleges struggling

Although Paine has struggled with its own failures over the past several years, HBCUs across the nation are dealing with some of the same troubles that are threatening their missions and existence.