'Chronicle' to launch new online home

Moving from one place to another is both exhilarating and painful. You get excited about your new home, the fresh feel and the chance to do things a little differently. However, you know the actual move is stressful; something always breaks, and it takes a while to make it feel like home. Organizing the attic and garage are dreaded chores. This is when you say, "I'll never move again."

Back | Next
It's moving day Wednesday for augustachronicle.com. We have redesigned the site and will launch on a new software platform.  Special
Special

It's moving day Wednesday for augustachronicle.com. We have redesigned the site and will launch on a new software platform. We will offer more interactive and news features. You will find:

- Registered users can start a profile page, choose to follow favorite users, start a blog and post photos.

- More of the news sections will change throughout the day, especially Sports.

- Production and presentation of news photos and photo galleries are increasing.

- The beginnings of a special area called Topic pages. These are news coverage collections and links we will expand in the coming year. More staff blogs on topics of interest will be launched.

- Reporter archive pages will allow you to follow stories from an individual writer.

- Mobile news: Smartphone-friendly format of the news is automated. (A few phones might require using the default "m.augustachronicle.com" address to view.) No "app" required.

- More assertive moderation of story comments is being engaged. (See Jan. 20 Over The Transom blog post at http://blogs.augusta.com/node/4042.)

These new developments should broaden the site experience but are not the biggest reason for the change. The new software platform will enable innovation and encourage collaboration. It allows the whole newsroom to participate in producing and editing the site, which are tasks a small group performs now.

We kicked off increases in local news coverage noted in a Jan. 3 column and are making big moves in social media with Twitter and Facebook. Social Media Editor Sarah Day Owen will help the newsroom quadruple its efforts in this digital space. Our Masters Twitter accounts surged last year, and we expect them to expand in 2010.

We have several more changes in store this year. Sean Moores is the newsroom customer service director, a new position. He is a reader advocate, a reader contact and a connection for the community. Contact him at sean.moores@augustachronicle.com or call (706) 823-3448. He'll take your news tips, help online users and get news-related questions answered. He'll help lead comment moderation along with Owen. We expect him to launch an interactive feature online and in print soon.

So, truckloads of data from 13 years online are packed, and we are getting ready to move. The address is the same, but the house is getting a makeover from top to bottom. As we move into our new home, please excuse the boxes and the marks on the walls. A team is busy getting all the furniture in place and will be patching things up quickly.

Reach Alan English at (706) 823-3487 or alan.english@augustachronicle.com.

Philo-Publis
Philo-Publis 01/24/10 - 12:13 am
Sweet. Printed Newspapers are

Sweet. Printed Newspapers are a thing of the past. I am glad the Chronicle realizes this. Newspapers can and will survive, but only in digital format. If they are smart, they will earn their money from digital advertising, not by charging their users.

johnston.cliff
johnston.cliff 01/24/10 - 01:30 am
I'm anxious about the new

I'm anxious about the new format. It sounds like a great step forward. Good luck. I hope the effort is as profitable as it is informative.

MarshCroaked
MarshCroaked 01/24/10 - 01:39 am
Bring it on! We'll let you

Bring it on! We'll let you know what we think (as always).

janet58
janet58 01/24/10 - 05:54 am
I've been reading the

I've been reading the Chronicle for 43 years, the last 14 of them online. I love it just the way it is, but there is room for improvement anywhere I guess.

Dixieman
Dixieman 01/24/10 - 06:44 am
Good news. Current site

Good news. Current site needs serious upgrade

Riverman1
Riverman1 01/24/10 - 07:05 am
It's an absolutely fantastic

It's an absolutely fantastic move. Moderating the boards is long overdue. The concept of having continuing stories is something I mentioned here a while back. It's kind of like the blog concept is now. I'm looking forward to the changes.

JohnRandolphHardisonCain
JohnRandolphHardisonCain 01/24/10 - 07:27 am
I posted 2 comments on the

I posted 2 comments on the Jan 20th "Over the Transom" blog linked above. These are my extant concerns: 1. While "assertive moderation" may reduce personal attacks or off topic remarks, it will NOT raise the general level of civil debate. 2. IMO The Chronicle still puts itself in the driver's seat & controls the flow of information. We can interact with stories The Chronicle chooses to publish, but we cannot raise topics of our own other than in a sequential blog format that is linked to Reader Comments. 3. I hope the new Chronicle format allows me to link to my personal bulletin board. I plan to write an online blog on the new Augusta Chronicle website, but unless tags are used to reference various subjects of interest to me, my daily blog entries will get buried in sequential manner. I much prefer a bulletin board format like the current Forum which keeps topics open. The Forum has been offline for several days because no Chronicle administrators have debugged it. 4. We all should expect technology to change the way we do things, but technology should be employed to better inform the reader AND for the readers to better inform The Chronicle's staff - newsroom AND editorial room.

johnston.cliff
johnston.cliff 01/24/10 - 07:49 am
You amaze me Cain. When

You amaze me Cain. When you're off politics your posts are excellent. Your concerns, while typically narcissistic, all have merit. I too feel that assertive moderation can easily become censorship, but feel some is needed to keep posters on subject. Removing on subject opinion from an opinion page forum seems a little counter productive so I don't expect to see much of that. I think linking to personal blogs is a great idea too, but if people still ignore your particular style of rambling rants I don't think you'll be any happier than you are now. Try to keep in mind that reader ideas are appreciated, but in the end the golden rule applies. "The person with the gold makes the rules."

seenitB4
seenitB4 01/24/10 - 08:25 am
Great news,,, we need the

Great news,,, we need the newspaper..Good luck with the change.

rbk
rbk 01/24/10 - 08:35 am
Cain, if what you just posted

Cain, if what you just posted is an example of what you call "comments" , then I understand why some people (myself included) would tend to ignore your posts. I became bored before I got half way through it. Your use of numbers remind me of an outline and I hate outlines.

dashiel
dashiel 01/24/10 - 08:37 am
I still like my Chronicle

I still like my Chronicle fresh from the tube, paper and ink. After I read it over coffee, and the voices in my head reach a consesus, I usually go on line to spar with other outspoken morons, but I still enjoy the printed edition. Maybe this new format will change the way I feel. I certainly look forward to giving it a try and appreciate all the hard work and brainpower you appear to be investing in this new venture.

justus4
justus4 01/24/10 - 08:53 am
Ol' Cain nailed it. Free

Ol' Cain nailed it. Free speech is only for U know who, because any views that hit home will be sensored and removed. Comments that chant the exact same line of manure will be praised, while actual FACTS & QUESTIONS will be conveniently removed, especially if it exposes an obvious agenda. (which this outfit clearly employs daily) So Here's the question: If this effort is designed to increase participation, where is the accountability section to hold so-called journalism to account?

Ayetidiosi
Ayetidiosi 01/24/10 - 09:06 am
Justus4: the fact that you

Justus4: the fact that you can still disgrace this site with your daily racial harangues proves beyond a reasonable doubt your "theory" is invalid.

JohnRandolphHardisonCain
JohnRandolphHardisonCain 01/24/10 - 09:12 am
Here are 2 examples, 1

Here are 2 examples, 1 serious 1 trifling, of how The Chronicle's new format if it does not contain a bulletin board will result in stifling the flow of information. An inquiry is underway in Britain into what led that country to war in Iraq. Both current Prime Minister Gordon Brown & former Prime Minister Tony Blair are coming under the kind of withering scrutiny that current & former leaders of United States must eventually face. There is no mention of this in today's Augusta Chronicle (Sunday edition). Online readers have access to Reuters, AFP, The New York Times, The Times of London & an almost endless array of sources. AFAIK The Chronicle only subscribes to the AP. A headline today from AFP reads "Expert lawyers to declare Iraq war illegal: reports". This is from Britain. How is an Augusta Chronicle reader supposed to bring this to other readers' attention without a bulletin board? It will be considered off topic by "assertive moderation" standards. More frivolously, a story from the NY Daily News reads "Bristol Palin vows no more pre-marital sex - and says other women should follow her lead". How can an Augusta Chronicle reader/collaborator link to & follow these stories?

JohnRandolphHardisonCain
JohnRandolphHardisonCain 01/24/10 - 09:24 am
For the serious minded here's

For the serious minded here's the link to the AFP story "Expert lawyers to declare Iraq war illegal: reports" mentioned above:
- This yahoo link is time sensitive and will expire. And for the more frivolous Augusta Chronicle readers here is the link to the story from the NY Daily News titled "Bristol Palin vows no more pre-marital sex - and says other women should follow her lead"

JohnRandolphHardisonCain
JohnRandolphHardisonCain 01/24/10 - 09:27 am
Augusta Chronicle readers who

Augusta Chronicle readers who want to see either of the two pieces linked in my post above must copy the link and paste it in their browser.

deekster
deekster 01/24/10 - 09:38 am
No more comments about the

No more comments about the "Little King" and his royal family. No more discussion about the real problems Augusta faces. No more "radical Christian thought". No more JESUS SAVES. Exaggerate the trivial and hide the important. Communist journalism/propaganda.

JohnRandolphHardisonCain
JohnRandolphHardisonCain 01/24/10 - 09:44 am
As of 9:38 am EST Sun 24 Jan

As of 9:38 am EST Sun 24 Jan 2010 both the Associated Press and icasualties.org are reporting that 3 more U.S. soldiers have been killed in Afghanistan. This has not yet been reported by The Chronicle online or in print. Where is an Augusta Chronicle reader/collaborator supposed to post such information if not on a bulletin board like The Forum? Here are the links to the AP and icasualties.org sources. You must cut and paste them in your browser to visit the websites.

JohnRandolphHardisonCain
JohnRandolphHardisonCain 01/24/10 - 09:51 am
Ignorance is bliss, eh Alan

Ignorance is bliss, eh Alan English? Oh I forgot, the Augusta Chronicle executive editor has the weekend off. No news of import is supposed to happen when he is away from his editor's/censor's desk. The U.S. war in Afghanistan is going just fine as far as you are concerned, right? I know that Robert Gates, Stanley McChrystal, and the dead Paul Harvey all concur with you that everything is on track for American "success" in Afghanistan.

corgimom
corgimom 01/24/10 - 10:07 am
"that chant the exact same

"that chant the exact same line of manure" ah, justnuts, we know exactly what you mean.

JustMe
JustMe 01/24/10 - 10:26 am
I understand what you were

I understand what you were saying about Cain. The second post I read 2 sentences and quit. Don't forget people this is a newspaper. If you want to be able to express your opinion without being censored start your own blog. And justus...as I said yesterday you are a bigot. You act like there is always someone around the corner waiting to get you....I think you might want to talk to your Psychiatrist about that.

Riverman1
Riverman1 01/24/10 - 10:31 am
Looks like I was right when I

Looks like I was right when I said I wouldn't post on the forum anymore. Heh.

JohnRandolphHardisonCain
JohnRandolphHardisonCain 01/24/10 - 11:02 am
The U.S. neocolonial,

The U.S. neocolonial, political war in Afghanistan is not going to turn out any better for this country than the U.S. war in Vietnam did. It is the American Establishment that is waging it. Barack Obama along with Joe Biden, Hillary Clinton, Chris Dodd and almost every "conservative" & "liberal" in Congress is part of that Establishment. The American political & moneyed Establishment sees the U.S. future through the lens of military power. Trouble is, the U.S. economy is headed for a failed state a la Soviet Union in 1989. I say "bring it on" if that is what it takes to change the direction of U.S. foreign policy. China is devouring us economically. The American pro-war Establishment sees U.S. military prowess as its saving grace. I say that is not going to happen. The era of neocolonialism is over. The unipolar moment when United States was the uncontested superpower following the collapse of the Soviet Union has passed. We now live in a multi-polar world. I will not be listening to President Obama's SOTU address. I closed my ears to Obama after his December 1st speech escalating the failed U.S. war in Afghanistan. Obama does not represent change. He is status quo Establishment.

AWyld1
AWyld1 01/24/10 - 11:12 am
He couldn't help himself. He

He couldn't help himself. He had to throw something in there about how terrible the US is. A country that is so terrible it's citizens donated over 57 million dollars to Haiti. Of course justus fails to realize that you can't tell one's color from their posts unless they are obviously so racist you can't help but notice...like his posts...

NO DIXIE CHICK PLEASE
NO DIXIE CHICK PLEASE 01/24/10 - 11:21 am
I agree with the other

I agree with the other posters on here about John... To quoyte a line from Ray Stevens song- "What the heck did he say anyways?"
John honestly people here are average readers and what your attempt to do is to try and put your self up as some sort of college professor or a profound thinker. Personal observation is you fail on either account and sounds more of a bunch of sour grapes. The Bush administration did not please you and know neither apparently does the Obama administration. Perhaps we should give you a warm glass of milk and cookies and tuck you in bed because we didn't listen to you and you didn't get your way.

bettyboop
bettyboop 01/24/10 - 11:27 am
It sounds really

It sounds really exciting...(profile pages and photos)..gonna be a hoot!....AC please keep cain on a short leash.. just look at the amount of space he has taken up here..........(pssst cain you could say the same thing with out all the extra verbiage.)

JohnRandolphHardisonCain
JohnRandolphHardisonCain 01/24/10 - 11:31 am
TNThomsom, Cindy Sheehan

TNThomsom, Cindy Sheehan remains active in the anti-war movement. In a story Jan 16, The Associated Press reported that a group led by peace activist Cindy Sheehan demonstrated against the military's use of unmanned drone aircraft. In a clarification issued Jan 18 the AP reported "The story should have made clear that Sheehan said she was protesting the deaths of Pakistani civilians in U.S. drone attacks on al-Qaida and Taliban targets." Don't expect The Chronicle to keep you apprised of Cindy Sheehan's efforts for peace & justice. I fault The Daily Kos blog for being a tool of the Democratic Party. It began as a spin off of the Howard Dean campaign. Too many liberals are obsessed only with health care reform when peace is the highest priority. Peace is the sine qua non for progress in this country including economic progress. Other liberal blogs have been more critical of Obama's continuation, escalation & expansion of Bush's wars. AntiWar.com is one such blog. Contributors at the blog Firedoglake have been more critical of Obama as has my personal favorite, retired Commander Jeff Huber, who posts on the at-Largely blog as well as his own blog Pen and Sword. Seek and ye shall find

AWyld1
AWyld1 01/24/10 - 11:38 am
Cain your posts are the

Cain your posts are the reason for aggressive moderation.You have taken over this entire forum about the new chronicle online format and turned it into your usual anti war rhetoric. Shutup already.

JohnRandolphHardisonCain
JohnRandolphHardisonCain 01/24/10 - 11:44 am
NO DIXIE CHICK PLEASE, I take

NO DIXIE CHICK PLEASE, I take it you count yourself among the "average" readers here on The Augusta Chronicle website. You must think that U.S. foreign policy is not your interest, forte, or bailiwick. Therefore you leave it to the "experts" to decide such matters as war & peace. Well, that isn't a democracy, Sister. An informed citizenry is imperative for a functional democracy. Otherwise, special interests, including corporations who profit from war, set the agenda. Maybe you aren't old enough to remember the Vietnam War. The roots of that war started in 1954, but United States got involved in a big way in 1964 and 1965. It finally ended in 1975 with between 1.5 and 3 million Vietnamese, Cambodians & Laotians dead. United States lost 58,000 men and women with many other American veterans were traumatized by the war or poised by Agent Orange. We live with the consequences of that war today but nowhere near as much as the Vietnamese do with birth defeats & left behind ordinance that still kill & maim farmers and others. Historians concur that the U.S. war in Vietnam was not necessary. Today 2 British lawyers have found the war in Iraq to be illegal. Never leave it to the "experts"!

JohnRandolphHardisonCain
JohnRandolphHardisonCain 01/24/10 - 12:02 pm
Where did The Chronicle

Where did The Chronicle report this story, and/or under what story or format is it deemed "appropriate" to link to it by the powers that be at The Chronicle? "Expert lawyers to declare Iraq war illegal: reports" (AFP story posted on Yahoo News onSat Jan 23, 8:41 pm ET)