Augusta Museum of History will cut hours

The Augusta Museum of History will reduce its hours to four days a week and close its museum shop and research library starting Feb. 1, Executive Director Nancy Glaser said.

Back | Next
Ben runs in front of a window in the rotunda. The museum has lost $100,000 in government and foundation funds in the past two years.  Rainier Ehrhardt/Staff
Rainier Ehrhardt/Staff

"With the economy the way it is, everybody is being challenged right now from top to bottom," Glaser said. "We're all having to look at how we restructure our facilities to keep the maximum amount of our mission going forward. We've had to prioritize. There's some things that we just can't do anymore until the economy starts turning around."

The museum at 560 Reynolds St. will be closed Monday through Wednesday. New hours will be 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Thursday through Saturday and 1-5 p.m. Sunday.

In the past two years, the museum has lost $100,000 in funding, including government funds and money from several foundations, Glaser said. It had already frozen two full-time positions and five part-time positions.

Three part-time positions have been cut, Glaser said. One employee hadn't started working and another was planning to leave because of family needs, so she had to lay off only one part-time worker.

One more full-time position has been frozen, but it was vacant. The remaining staff will include six full-time and two part-time workers.

The museum will continue its scheduled programs through the end of the year.

It will also continue its mission of collecting local treasures, preserving a collection of more than a half-million items and exhibiting material of celebrities such as James Brown. It will also continue providing educational programs, such as Voices of the Past, according to a news release.

"We're hoping that people will be willing to volunteer to help the museum in many of these areas where we've lost part-timers," Glaser said.

Reach LaTina Emerson at (706) 823-3227 or latina.emerson@augustachronicle.com.

NEW SCHEDULE

- Starting Feb. 1, the Augusta Museum of History will be open 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Thursday-Saturday and 1-5 p.m. Sunday.

- The museum shop and research library will be closed.

disssman
disssman 01/23/10 - 07:46 am
This can't be true. I

This can't be true. I thought we were building a TEE center right down the street. Now either we are a vibrant expanding city, or someone is lieing. This was the last form of anything resenbling family entertainment downtown, so what is our draw now for the masses that are going to be drawn to Augusta?

Jake
Jake 01/23/10 - 11:39 am
Probably the Discotheque

Probably the Discotheque Lounge. When I am in town I like to go to the museum and the past few times has been frustrating because they are always closed. Maybe Augusta can market itself as a ghost town.

Emerydan
Emerydan 01/23/10 - 12:26 pm
I remember back when the

I remember back when the museum was in the old location and they used to have the medical specimens from MCG on exhibit and the creepy shrunken head! Last time I went to the museum at the current location these things were no longer on display.. they should bring them back, that might get more paying folks back in the doors.

Jake
Jake 01/23/10 - 03:32 pm
I think the original museum

I think the original museum was in the old ARC building. They had some pretty good displays, especially army uniforms. I really like the new one, though. Let's face it, downtown Augusta does not offer the draw that it once had.

BakersfieldCityLimits
BakersfieldCityLimits 01/23/10 - 04:10 pm
Where I come from, this is

Where I come from, this is not done.

Emerydan
Emerydan 01/23/10 - 04:54 pm
Bring back the shrunken head!

Bring back the shrunken head!

John Locke
John Locke 01/23/10 - 04:59 pm
The shrunken head is on

The shrunken head is on display or was just before xmas. I find it interesting that no one from the city finds this or the same issue with Fort Discovery worthy of immediate funding attention. That money given to the idiot lawyer could have gone to the museum. I think the problem is the leaders of Augusta are not very educated and therefore don't recognize the importance of things they don't understand. I'll bet none of the commissioners have ever even stepped foot in the musuem cause they might learn something. Can't have that learning stuff going on in Augusta, especially science or history.

Emerydan
Emerydan 01/23/10 - 05:04 pm
good to know the shrunked

good to know the shrunked head is back on display.. been a while since I been in there, but last time I did, it was not there. I was dissappointed.

Jake
Jake 01/23/10 - 05:11 pm
That is right JL. The

That is right JL. The Petersburg boat, wall of history from early to modern, James Brown exhibit, etc is very interesting. I wish they would publish more of the photo books that they used to have like "An Augusta Scrapbook". I have seen in people's houses old photos of Augusta like the University Hosp, downtown, etc. and wish they were published for all to see. I like historical Augusta and would love to see it preserved.

Emerydan
Emerydan 01/23/10 - 05:45 pm
The fetuses in the big glass

The fetuses in the big glass jars used to always freak me out.

Jake
Jake 01/23/10 - 05:58 pm
I worked for a pathologist

I worked for a pathologist (Dr DF Mullins) for many years at the Medical Arts Building on Harper St. We used to get specimens in the mail every day for him to disect and make slides. Used to go on many autopsies as well. Across the street he had brains and other specimens in glass and formaldehyde. Now his old ranch is Mullins Crossing.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 01/23/10 - 10:10 pm
If a tree falls in a forest

If a tree falls in a forest and no one hears it, does it really make a sound? If a museum cuts back its hours and no one cares, is it really news?