Basketball league for white Americans targets Augusta

A new professional basketball league boasting rosters made up exclusively of white Americans has its eyes set on Augusta, but the team isn't receiving a warm welcome.

The All-American Basketball Alliance announced in a news release Sunday evening that it intends to start its inaugural season in June and hopes Augusta will be one of 12 cities with a team.

"Only players that are natural born United States citizens with both parents of Caucasian race are eligible to play in the league," the statement said.

Augusta Mayor Deke Copenhaver, who has publicly expressed his support for minor league teams in the past, said he would not do the same for this team.

"As a sports enthusiast, I have always supported bringing more sporting activities to Augusta," he said. "However, in this instance I could not support in good conscience bringing in a team that did not fit with the spirit of inclusiveness that I, along with many others, have worked so hard to foster in our city."

Clint Bryant, athletic director at Augusta State University, laughed when he heard the news.

"It's so absurd, it's funny, but it gives you an idea of the sickness of our society" he said. "It shows you what lengths people will go to just to be mean-spirited. I think at any basketball level, no matter if it's all black, all white, all Hispanic, all Asian or anyone else, the players should just be a basketball team."

Don "Moose" Lewis, the commissioner of the AABA, said the reasoning behind the league's roster restrictions is not racism.

"There's nothing hatred about what we're doing," he said. "I don't hate anyone of color. But people of white, American-born citizens are in the minority now. Here's a league for white players to play fundamental basketball, which they like."

Lewis said he wants to emphasize fundamental basketball instead of "street-ball" played by "people of color." He pointed out recent incidents in the NBA, including Gilbert Arenas' indefinite suspension after bringing guns into the Washington Wizards locker room, as examples of fans' dissatisfaction with the way current professional sports are run.

"Would you want to go to the game and worry about a player flipping you off or attacking you in the stands or grabbing their crotch?" he said. "That's the culture today, and in a free country we should have the right to move ourselves in a better direction."

The Atlanta-based league, which will operate as a single-entity owning all of its teams, is looking for local contacts to pay $10,000 to become a "licensee" in one of 12 cities throughout the Southeast. Lewis said he has already received threats from people opposed to the roster restrictions and several cities have told him to stay out of town. Lewis said he has yet to hear from any one in Augusta.

"We need a local person ingrained into the community to make this successful," he said.

Lewis said he expects to eventually find support in every town with a team.

"People will come out and support a product they can identify with. I'm the spoken minority right now, but if people will give us a chance, it'll work... The white game of basketball, which is essentially a fundamental game, works."

Lewis said he wasn't sure where the team will play.

Augusta has had problems with minor league basketball teams in the past, but the issues never centered around race. The Augusta Drive lasted less than a month before folding in 1995, citing financial reasons. The Augusta Groove made it through a full, 20-game schedule in 2009, but accusations from players and local businesses that the team wasn't paying its bills surrounded the team during the second half of the season. The team later shut down in the offseason.

Sick_and_tired
Sick_and_tired 01/22/10 - 12:40 pm
Northern Agressor - you have

Northern Agressor - you have no idea what you are talking about and calling people names and saying slurs against kids you don't even have an inkling about - who's ignorant here? For your information, we've had a "freaking hoop up" for my little "brick-thrower" as you call my child, since my child was able to walk. And for your information, coahces do play players to be "PC". Obviously, you don't have children. Maybe when you do, you'll become enlightened. And the more I think about it, I'm wasting my time responding to such an ignorant a-hole.

Notreally
Notreally 01/22/10 - 12:51 pm
Sick and tired sign your

Sick and tired sign your child on up for that undercover front for the KKKers, Nazi lovers and separatist. Once he's brain washed by Moose and company please notice his demeanor towards non whites afterwards. If it's changed in anyway congrats the seed you allowed to be planted will only grow.

NorthernAggressor
NorthernAggressor 01/22/10 - 01:00 pm
What is it with you people?

What is it with you people? Why do you keep bringing up, UNCF, NAACP, BET and Miss Black America? Its been answered over and over. I'm starting to see why the rest of the country is writing your little southern ways off. You'r just too stupid for your own good.

sickandtired, 243 comments and most are racist negative tirades against people who look like me by, people who don't have half my education or success. You want to see name calling, look above. I'm 38 and married. I have children. Three boys and one girl. I'm at hockey, basketball, football and volleyball games throughout the year. Not to mention recitals, plays, science fairs and camps. I live in Minnesota so minorities are the minority and if they suck, they sit on the bench. Each of my kids have different gifts and none of them are going to be playing pro sports so, the learn teamwork, discipline and how to work hard for success through sports.

I have seen parents like you year after year. I have coached kids of parents like you. Instead of working with your child to improve his/her skills, you want to blame the coach- well actually you're blaming the other kids for being poor and black and playing.

ConsiderThis1
ConsiderThis1 01/22/10 - 01:27 pm
Note that the restriction is

Note that the restriction is "US born whites." Whites outside of the United States play basketball just fine. The real puzzle is why U.S. whites don't. I suspect it is because they don't want to play with other black kids as they grow up. In Europe and Canada and South America the kids are not dealing with that kind of crap.

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 01/22/10 - 01:55 pm
NorthernAgressor, you really

NorthernAgressor, you really don't know anything about the South, do you? You have no idea how people relate to each other and you evaluate everything about our life and ways through the lens of you own (seriously uninformed) opinion. When you have spent some time down here, then you might have an decent opinion. Until then, keep in mind that having "minorities" as minorities of the population is a very different situation and experience than having "minorities" be the majority. I would never discriminate against someone because of their race, but I find it extremely difficult to have some of the cultural features of certain demographic groups--more young than nonwhite-- forced upon me virtually everywhere I go in public. Shouting in public, profanity and obscenities in front of children, petting and fondling in public, violations of personal space, plain rudeness and lack of any consideration for others are all rampant in the South now. I never see the kind of crude, uncivilized behavior when I travel in the North or other parts of the country unless it's a big city with similar demographics to Atlanta or Augusta. Many are just sick of dealing with it, but mistake the real cause.

montega12
montega12 01/22/10 - 02:49 pm
oh whatever why is blacks are

oh whatever why is blacks are the only ones that can have exclusive clubs and college funds that are only for blacks

NorthernAggressor
NorthernAggressor 01/22/10 - 03:22 pm
Fiat lux, my whole family is

Fiat lux, my whole family is from the South or, was. After college and the military, they moved North and I was born up here. You are a racist. Like I said, we have our problems but, we have also learned to work together and are a lot farther ahead than the South. EVERYTHING I have written in my 30 posts are facts from the FBI, stats from think tanks and official measurements- the South is a drag on the country. You are less educated, lower incomes, less informed, more racist, higher divorce rates, higher unwed births, weak infrastructure, subpar schools, more domestic violence and more welfare than the rest of the regions in this country. Race is no excuse for your failures. Look at yourselves.

(montega12-Proof that racist don't read even whats in their face. Unbelievably stupid)

subterraneanne
subterraneanne 01/22/10 - 03:30 pm
Fiat_Lux, you sound like a

Fiat_Lux, you sound like a pus.sy. Your ancestors must have been real pus.scakes. I'm sorry you're such a wuss that you can only "endure" and have things forced upon you, instead of having the guts to make a stand. I wonder what other cultural features(such as dicks),that have also been forced into you.
Too bad you don't have viking blood in you, otherwise you would have the guts to make a stand.
I pity you, and your ancestors.
Pu-ssy.

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 01/22/10 - 03:46 pm
NA and Subhuman, you both are

NA and Subhuman, you both are disgusting and apparently lacking in reasonable intelligence. Pity. You don't merit conversation, and you, subhuman, are something to be reported and deleted.

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 01/22/10 - 03:59 pm
NA, if you compare

NA, if you compare demographics of birthrates, you might get some clue as to why your statistics read the way they do. It isn't because people like me have be reproducing at such an enhanced rate relative to the total population. The people I am from and live with are far better educated that the national level, make more money and have standards for morality and social interaction that make most yankees look like apes. I see the deterioration of the South with great sadness, but we can thank the federal government for that. Black Americans should have been offered full rights/privileges of citizenship many decades before the Civil Rights Act, but don't go getting all smug about how well the North did it. The riots in Michigan, Illinois and Boston made Birmingham look like a weeny roast. Augusta wasn't even a blip. All that subpar crap came about after 1970, and it was forced on us by do-gooder but stupid people like you, who hurt the cause of integration and assimilation far more than you helped it. Look at how fragmented things are now. It might have been moving more slowing than you liked, but it was moving, and in the right direction. Assimilation would have been nice.

subterraneanne
subterraneanne 01/22/10 - 04:23 pm
Uh oh, Fiat got some sand in

Uh oh, Fiat got some sand in his vagina. Guess I hit too close to the heart. I'm sorry my Scandinavian heritage trumps what ever pathetic batch of losers your ancestors came from. Although, we might actually be distantly related. I bet my distant ancestors bent your ancestors over a tree trunk and raped the hell out of them. It'd explain why you can only "endure" things you don't like, or take the wimpy way out of the conversation like threatening to report me. You are a pathetic disgrace of a caucasian.
Your ancestors were pathetic, and my Viking forefathers probably dumped their seed in your ancestors, because your forefathers were too limp-wristed, knobby kneed, and pathetic to do anything about it.
I agree. It's not worth having conversation with a vagina like you. Have fun complaining over the internet about things you don't like, instead of changing it. Don't blame me that your dad was a pus.s . Blame yourself for perpetuating the tendencies of your ancestors.

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 01/22/10 - 04:32 pm
I think I hear your sewer

I think I hear your sewer calling you, subhuman.

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 01/22/10 - 04:33 pm
Ahhhh.

Ahhhh.

TheDeerhunter
TheDeerhunter 01/22/10 - 04:38 pm
the comments on this article

the comments on this article are a shame; damn shame.

whycantthewhitesdoit
whycantthewhitesdoit 01/22/10 - 08:27 pm
does grambling have white

does grambling have white players or ga southern,theres plenty of black programs and great,great leaders who are not racist like,al sharpton,rev jackson,lewis ferra..,i dont see the black people complaining about them,and have you noticed lately when they show obama on t,v he always has a bunch of black people standing behind him,heres a thought,have you ever heard of a racist black person,,,of course not,there not racist

whycantthewhitesdoit
whycantthewhitesdoit 01/22/10 - 08:30 pm
i hope i find out when and

i hope i find out when and where they play there games at so i can go watch,and i would donate money to help support this if i knew where to send it to,and i bet if and when they play there first game,that hundreds of black people will be there to protest,but thats funny no one protests there santuarys ,its a sad world when we cant have a darn basketball league of our own

sevw626
sevw626 01/22/10 - 09:06 pm
Say's a lot about Augusta

Say's a lot about Augusta

Lp_J
Lp_J 01/22/10 - 09:11 pm
im black and im gonna get me

im black and im gonna get me a black sheet and hood and protest at game

corgimom
corgimom 01/22/10 - 10:14 pm
"The idiot Corgimom guy...

"The idiot Corgimom guy... you're not paying for my education, the GI Bill is.. so kick rocks." You fool, who do you think pays for the GI Bill? The tooth fairy? And you are going to college, and you can't figure out that with a name of "corgimom" I'm female? Kick rocks? Like the ones that came out of your head?

dycenyne
dycenyne 01/22/10 - 11:07 pm
Why isn't BET (Black

Why isn't BET (Black Entertainment Television) considered racist??? Isnt that the same idea and basic ground work? How many whites are employeed at BET?? I guarantee you that if there were such a thing as WET (White Entertainment Television) that would be considered completely racist. Personally I wouldn't care if there was an all black league or an all white league, just like the television channel reference. The thing I care about is that as long as its purpose isnt promoting racism what is the issue? I guarantee this wouldn't even had made the news if it was an all black league!!!!

Pu239
Pu239 01/22/10 - 11:24 pm
Northern Sphincter....So you

Northern Sphincter....So you are even more elitist and arrogant than I orginally posted. (I used White Bear Lake stats, because I am familiar with the area and knew Grant was close.) So using your source, the demographics of your little slice of heaven are 98.14% white, 0.15% African American with the remainder being small percentages of Asians, Latinos, and others. With a population of 4026 that would equate to 6 African Americans, so you are telling me that your family is the only AA family? No wonder you are so preoccupied with this ridiculous article. You are living it. However, I'm sure that with the 6 digit median income of your paradise, I'm certain you still feel smug. You keep working to support us ignorant Southerners ya heah? BLESS YOUR HEART!

Pu239
Pu239 01/22/10 - 11:28 pm
BTW....BLESS YOUR HEART is

BTW....BLESS YOUR HEART is code for that man is dumber than a sack of rocks.

lovett_jonathan
lovett_jonathan 01/22/10 - 11:31 pm
Since 1989, the NBA has grown

Since 1989, the NBA has grown by $3.6 billion in revenue due to the accomplishments of players of all races. The most prominent of whom, Michael Jordan, did not play "fundamental" basketball, nor did he grab his crotch and attack fans. He just happened to be black. This league, aside from the clearly inflammatory remarks made about black players, is destined to fail because it is designed to be boring. Even if the league didn't exclude players because of race (which seems like racism to me; I go to a Historically Black College and I have classmates of all races) the "fundamental style of basketball" won't sell out any arenas. So instead of protesting, I'll comfortably sit back and watch this league of injustice cause it's own demise. Popcorn anyone?

Pu239
Pu239 01/22/10 - 11:53 pm
lovett jonathan makes a

lovett jonathan makes a powerful statement in his post "So instead of protesting, I'll comfortably sit back and watch this league of injustice cause it's own demise." I could not agree more. Left to their own devices, stupid ideas such as this "basketball league" will die a slow quiet death.

JCDunn
JCDunn 01/23/10 - 12:17 am
I would love to play

I would love to play basketball again. Haven't played since junior high school, i could not handle the blacks. Maybe my girlfriend can come watch without being harassed too.

They are just awful, they think they are gods becuase they can bounce a ball. They make their disgusting monkey calls at women, i just don't want to be around them.

TheDeerhunter
TheDeerhunter 01/23/10 - 02:40 am
haha jcdunn. You B__ about

haha jcdunn. You B__ about black folk after midnight. What happened? "Jody's got your girl and gone?"....u damn peasant!!!!

JesusIsComing
JesusIsComing 01/23/10 - 07:25 am
Don "Moose" Lewis is a

Don "Moose" Lewis is a "Professional Wrestler" - you really don't need to know more. Thank you, Augusta, for rejecting this intentionally provacative announcement of a non-existent league.

dmac504
dmac504 01/23/10 - 07:49 am
First of all this is a lost

First of all this is a lost cause. Every league we have now was once an all white league. Football, Basketball and Baseball started out all white. Blacks was considered to be unable to compete with these so called " White Pro Players". How ironic is it that now whites realize that they don't have a shot in hell at competing with black players. It is a known fact that none of these sports were worth watching when only whites played in them. As far as your fundementals. In his time Babe Ruth would be considered no better than the blacks that play now. He was a drunk and a womanizer. He cause trouble where ever he went. I guess that doesn't qualify him as a thug. lol. Also to comment on the BET remark and Black Colleges. Whites do have their own TV channel it is called Fox. His allows all the white hatred to come out with no recorse for it's actions. For the college issue once again these institutions came about because good white folk aka Racist did not want black to go to their good white schools. How ironic is it that Augusta won't support this league when it supported a racial institution for years. I am speaking about the golf club where the Masters is played didn't allow blacks.

FOOTBALL IS BACK
FOOTBALL IS BACK 01/23/10 - 09:36 am
The Georgia Ragin' Bulls are

The Georgia Ragin' Bulls are a minor league team and we are still around. This is totally absurb. Color doesn't mean anything. White black red or green. We should all be allowed to play on a team TOGETHER, and get along. Stuff happens. But this dude is crazy!! One Team, One Family One Goal

55 F-100
55 F-100 01/23/10 - 09:58 am
Does that mean that "Ya' know

Does that mean that "Ya' know what I mean?" and "Ya' know what I'm sayin'?" would be absent from all post-game interviews? No spreewell-adorned Hummers, Range Rover's, Escalades, Navigators, Denali's, Expedition's or 80's or 90's Impala's or Crown Vic's painted up in the M&M's, Skittles', or Red Bull motifs in the parking lot? No tattoo's or or obscene language on the court? Bummer!!!

Allen has hometown swearing-in

U.S. Rep. Rick Allen returned home to Augusta on Thursday for a ceremonial swearing-in, a platform he used to update his top priorities for his first term in Congress.