Basketball league for white Americans targets Augusta

A new professional basketball league boasting rosters made up exclusively of white Americans has its eyes set on Augusta, but the team isn't receiving a warm welcome.

The All-American Basketball Alliance announced in a news release Sunday evening that it intends to start its inaugural season in June and hopes Augusta will be one of 12 cities with a team.

"Only players that are natural born United States citizens with both parents of Caucasian race are eligible to play in the league," the statement said.

"As a sports enthusiast, I have always supported bringing more sporting activities to Augusta," he said. "However, in this instance I could not support in good conscience bringing in a team that did not fit with the spirit of inclusiveness that I, along with many others, have worked so hard to foster in our city."

Clint Bryant, athletic director at Augusta State University, laughed when he heard the news.

"It's so absurd, it's funny, but it gives you an idea of the sickness of our society" he said. "It shows you what lengths people will go to just to be mean-spirited. I think at any basketball level, no matter if it's all black, all white, all Hispanic, all Asian or anyone else, the players should just be a basketball team."

Don "Moose" Lewis, the commissioner of the AABA, said the reasoning behind the league's roster restrictions is not racism.

"There's nothing hatred about what we're doing," he said. "I don't hate anyone of color. But people of white, American-born citizens are in the minority now. Here's a league for white players to play fundamental basketball, which they like."

Lewis said he wants to emphasize fundamental basketball instead of "street-ball" played by "people of color." He pointed out recent incidents in the NBA, including Gilbert Arenas' indefinite suspension after bringing guns into the Washington Wizards locker room, as examples of fans' dissatisfaction with the way current professional sports are run.

"Would you want to go to the game and worry about a player flipping you off or attacking you in the stands or grabbing their crotch?" he said. "That's the culture today, and in a free country we should have the right to move ourselves in a better direction."

The Atlanta-based league, which will operate as a single-entity owning all of its teams, is looking for local contacts to pay $10,000 to become a "licensee" in one of 12 cities throughout the Southeast. Lewis said he has already received threats from people opposed to the roster restrictions and several cities have told him to stay out of town. Lewis said he has yet to hear from any one in Augusta.

"We need a local person ingrained into the community to make this successful," he said.

Lewis said he expects to eventually find support in every town with a team.

"People will come out and support a product they can identify with. I'm the spoken minority right now, but if people will give us a chance, it'll work... The white game of basketball, which is essentially a fundamental game, works."

Lewis said he wasn't sure where the team will play.

Augusta has had problems with minor league basketball teams in the past, but the issues never centered around race. The Augusta Drive lasted less than a month before folding in 1995, citing financial reasons. The Augusta Groove made it through a full, 20-game schedule in 2009, but accusations from players and local businesses that the team wasn't paying its bills surrounded the team during the second half of the season. The team later shut down in the offseason.

Pu239
Pu239 01/21/10 - 09:26 pm
Hey NA....how about the

Hey NA....how about the demographics in that burg you claim as home? 386 African Americans out of a population of more that 25,000? Real diversity goin' on there amigo! You have to be the most bigoted, racist, arrogant, elitist, piece of bovine excrement that has posted to this blog. As to your earlier post about the North paying all of the taxes only to have the money spent in the south...welcome to wealth redistribution! I feel sure a philanthropist such as you recognizes that which is yours is mine!

subterraneanne
subterraneanne 01/21/10 - 09:49 pm
Some of my fellow

Some of my fellow white-americans shouldn't be allowed to celebrate their heritage. My ancestors were Vikings. I'll be damned if I have to share my heritage with someone who's family only came because they were crying that laws weren't liberal enough. Those with [filtered word] for ancestors should only be ashamed that their ancestry weren't as awesome as mine.

BERSERKERGANG.

its_umama
its_umama 01/21/10 - 10:02 pm
I am white and I am offended

I am white and I am offended

riceroni
riceroni 01/21/10 - 10:04 pm
I would just like it to be

I would just like it to be know especially to people from other countries that may stumble across this site. I am a Caucasian American. This person Don "Moose" Lewis is a hate mongering bigot. He does not represent or speak for the vast majority of Whites in America. In fact the majority of Whites in America are growing increasing sick of these types getting press and making it look as if moronic racist like this guy express the sentimental mindset of Whites in America. As you've seen in this thread only a bunch of low life losers who can't achieve on their own merit thus need someone to feel superior to either will attack and sort themselves based solely on the pigment of skin. There couldn't be anything more retarded. So I say it again, these LOSERS do NOT speak for, or is either supported by even 1% of Whites in America.

ballaboveall
ballaboveall 01/21/10 - 10:16 pm
Another question this

Another question this "league" brings up that's kinda being overlooked because of this white/black stuff is how come a team consisting of Steve Nash (white, Canadian), Manu Ginobli (white, Argentenian), Dirk Nowitzki (white, German), Linas Kleiza (white, Lithuanian), and Zydrunas Ilgauskas (white, Lithuanian) would most likely crush a team consisting of 5 white Americans?

And, if anybody noticed, the San Antonio Spurs, who won the NBA title in 2007, had players on the team from France, Argentina, the Virgin Islands, the Netherlands, and Slovenia.

tashatruth
tashatruth 01/21/10 - 10:39 pm
SO I SEE THE BLACK PANTHER

SO I SEE THE BLACK PANTHER PARTY WAS SOME HOW MENTIONED..? Who would dare relate them to such a topic? some jerk.. well, I live in California, home to the Black Panthers, and if anyone believes that what they did is in any way similar to what this guy "moose" is doing, they are incredibly uneducated. Panthers were for all rights to all people, this guy apparently thinks that African Americans are destroying the game that white people "love to play so much". ??? Sounds like a stereotype to me.

tashatruth
tashatruth 01/21/10 - 10:45 pm
The idiot Corgimom guy...

The idiot Corgimom guy... you're not paying for my education, the GI Bill is.. so kick rocks. And to BETTY BOOP who called the South "GOD'S COUNTRY", she ought to be ashamed. I lived there for half my life, and those people have always hid behind religion to make excuses for their prejudice ways.

RoadKing
RoadKing 01/21/10 - 10:55 pm
tash ... you're not getting

tash ... you're not getting much of an education. where do you think gi bill money originates ???

tashatruth
tashatruth 01/21/10 - 11:02 pm
HELLO, TAXES: I'm fully

HELLO, TAXES: I'm fully aware. My point was, Americans, no SOUTHERNERs need to finally stop crying about taxes. Newsflash: Everybody pays them, if you dont like it, go somwhere else. My family has served this country, and Im getting the benefits of it. The same law applies to anybody else in my situation, ROADKING

Ben There
Ben There 01/21/10 - 11:34 pm
Every village has it's

Every village has it's idiots. But after reading many of these posts, it made me realize it would be extremely difficult to narrow it down to just one in this town!

apatheist
apatheist 01/22/10 - 12:23 am
An "All-AMERICAN Basketball

An "All-AMERICAN Basketball Alliance" should consist of Native Americans, not whites.

Lewis should rename this idea of his. How about the WASP-BA?

englanddg
englanddg 01/22/10 - 12:42 am
MegaZ0 - You do know what a

MegaZ0 - You do know what a book called "Reading Fundamentals" implies, correct?

So, to play "fundamental basketball"...

Regardless, lets call it for what it is. Organizations like the NAACP are inherently racist. There is no question about it. Is being racist wrong? You decide. I personally think it is.

Digest that for a bit.

englanddg
englanddg 01/22/10 - 12:49 am
Those defending this, I ask

Those defending this, I ask this question. Why not just start this as a "Family Friendly League"? I don't understand what enforcing league rules has to do with being an american born white person. This man is clearly racist, and is associating negative qualities that have nothing to do with race and assuming that another race is immune to those same negative qualities when they're not.

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 01/22/10 - 12:56 am
Everybody pays taxes? Surely

Everybody pays taxes? Surely you must mean sales taxes. lol

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 01/22/10 - 01:09 am
Historian, even though some

Historian, even though some of those organizations you speak of claim to not exclude anyone, but yet in the same stroke say for example miss black american, It says in its elegibility requirements its for women of color. Then what does that mean? UNCF, eligability requirements, african american. What does that mean? Hello????????? If being a certain race is a requirement, then they exclude other races. What planet are your living on?????? Hypocrites.

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 01/22/10 - 01:10 am
That was re your 6:15 by the

That was re your 6:15 by the way.

Danyell706
Danyell706 01/22/10 - 01:24 am
this article just brought out

this article just brought out the true kkk members in augusta, as well as augusta's finest of the ignorant association. this is the craziest thing i have ever heard of to date!

NorthernAggressor
NorthernAggressor 01/22/10 - 02:57 am
Bettyboop, Minnesota is tops

Bettyboop, Minnesota is tops in education, quality of life, professional employment and family friendly states- regardless of race. I've been reading this for two days and none of you racist have been able to factually or statistically name ONE advantage to living in the South. Weather? I like playing pick-up pond hockey and racing snowmobiles and my wife like to ski so, the weather here is just fine.

You'd better be nice to use, our taxes support your broke, dependent states. You're welcome.

NorthernAggressor
NorthernAggressor 01/22/10 - 03:08 am
Hey P-eww! Grant does not

Hey P-eww!
Grant does not have that many people you fool. http://www.muninetguide.com/states/minnesota/municipality/Grant.php

Second, here in the real world, people live where they want or can afford. There are no black areas and exclusive white areas. You can go where your money takes you and that's how it should be in a capitalistic society.

Again, you're such a racist that you can't understand a place where black and whites live in the same town. In both rich and poor areas, you see black and white. Economics and education determines one's lot in life, not skin color.

RoadKing- the South takes more from the government for basic needs than they put in. So from whom do you think that money comes from? How about those of use in the North who pay more than our fair share just to listen to uneducated rubes talk about race instead of trying to improve their own lot in life.

JR_001
JR_001 01/22/10 - 06:01 am
Blacks have their own

Blacks have their own leagues, why can't whites?

ecc
ecc 01/22/10 - 06:59 am
Just in case the idiots did

Just in case the idiots did not know that they are not Native Americans. So I guess they will not be able to play in the league.

joekm46
joekm46 01/22/10 - 07:36 am
As far as I am concerned

As far as I am concerned outlaw basketball period! Maybe then the deprived ghetto society would earn an education rather than a pastime to be used during their vacation time in our jails.

subterraneanne
subterraneanne 01/22/10 - 08:31 am
By the way, I heartily

By the way, I heartily disagree with Lewis's statements. You should be allowed to grab your crotch whenever you want. I used to do it all the time. Point to your opponent, grab your crotch, point to the stands, grab your crotch.
Being able to grab your crotch whenever you want is a universal ideal, that all races hold sacred.

givemeabreak
givemeabreak 01/22/10 - 08:37 am
I am so sick of the blacks

I am so sick of the blacks always screaming "racism" and I am also sick of the people who back them up every time something comes up that "excludes" them... I agree with several comments that have been posted regarding "Miss Black America Pageant", "NAACP", "United Negro College Fund" and so on. Why is it okay for black people to discriminate against everyone else but OMG let them think for one second they are being discriminated against and you can guarantee that Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson show up and yell "RACISIM." It is kind of comical though when you really think about it being as they are two of the most RACIST PEOPLE I know... As for "Augusta Mayor Deke Copenhaver, who has publicly expressed his support for minor league teams in the past, said he would not do the same for this team." ---Give me a flippin break sounds to me like you are just trying to earn brownie points (pardon the pun.) I think someone needs to come up with a Miss White America Pageant and maybe a United White College fund and let's see how fast we all hear that one word that is shouted out every single time the white race tries do something for their people.

Patty-P
Patty-P 01/22/10 - 10:10 am
I don't see anything wrong

I don't see anything wrong with it. My only question is what does it prove? What purpose would it serve?

Lovelace_in_yo_face
Lovelace_in_yo_face 01/22/10 - 11:19 am
In the words of one of the

In the words of one of the greatest lyricists of all time..."It ain't about black or white cuz we're human. I hope we see the light beefore it's ruined."--2 Pac. To add to that, I think that this story is attracting way too much attention and if this were a league set up by a group other than white people, nobody would care. That being said, if somebody really wants to be a part of the D league of basketball go right ahead. Your only fans will be your mom, dad, your white grandparents and that one homeless guy that has nothing better to do. A few questions; do you have to show a valid birth certificate that says: "I am a whitey" in order to get in. What if your parents that adopted you are black, can you not get in the league? What if you're black and your parents that adopted you are white; does that make you "white" in the eyes of the law? Just wondering. I'm done. I've wasted too much time of my life commenting on this.

Sick_and_tired
Sick_and_tired 01/22/10 - 12:11 pm
Being the parent of a

Being the parent of a Caucasian middle-school basketball player, I get to personally witness the differences made between the races. Coaches feel sorry for the "poor black kids" (especially those with a single parent). So they are given much more playing time and recognition than everyone else because the coaches want to make sure that these kids are given a fair chance (REGARDLESS of their ability to play basketball). (Keep in mind that these kids don't have to pay any kind of fees either.) When my player told me that this is what the coach told the entire team, I said immediately that "I want you to have the same opportunities that the black kids have. Just because you're white and have two parents who are married and pay ALL of your fees - it shouldn't be held against you." So all of you who think that racism is only against blacks and other races; believe me, racism is STRONGLY alive against whites!! So an all white basketball league - where do we sign up?!

NorthernAggressor
NorthernAggressor 01/22/10 - 12:20 pm
Give me a break- Your state

Give me a break-
Your state after 235 others has to be the dumbest of all. It has been explained over and over how those groups are not exclusive to blacks and the ONLY reason they exist is blacks were excluded from the mainstream organization and thanks to Plessy v Ferguson in 1896.

If he started a team of just fundamentals- as he defines them, fine. There are basketball leagues that are 3 on 3 streetball with different rules. However, when he says its going to be all American born whites- that's discriminatory. When he reasons its because others are incapable of playing that style, well, that's just racist.

If you want violence, try going to a European soccer game. The fans put each other in the hospital. Or, how about NHL hockey, more fights per game than any other professional sports. And, as far crotch grabbing, you ever, ever watch major league baseball? Before a pitcher pitches or batter bats, they make 'adjustments' and sometimes spit. How is any of that family friendly?

I think I've just proven that racists will support anything if it appeals to their beliefs- they won't let the facts stand in the way. Will you?

NorthernAggressor
NorthernAggressor 01/22/10 - 12:28 pm
Hey sickandtired (actually

Hey sickandtired (actually sickandtiredandignorantashell), your kid sucks and complained that he was being discriminated against because he was white (yes,discrimination is the word, not racism you genius). No coach worth his salt would play crappy players to be pc. What we do see is kids like your whining instead practicing and parents like you demanding their little scrub get some play time. Put a freakin hoop up and teach the little brick-thrower the 'fundamentals' or buy him some soccer shorts. He'll probably grow up to start his own white league of players without talent, but having a lot of whiteness.

mrpcez
mrpcez 01/22/10 - 12:34 pm
Did it ever occur to anyone

Did it ever occur to anyone that perhaps this individual has created this league for the sole purpose of exposing the hypocrisy that runs so deeply within society? Just because it is all white, the conclusion is drawn that "the Klan" is on its way to town. There is inequity in this country swaying toward caucasians, but few, if any, minority groups will acknowledge the growing gap. Ethnic groups are allowed to be proud of their heritage with the exception of whites. Showing such pride deems one prejudice. I am simply asking one to consider if a controversy can be seen with the creation of a White American History Month, or White Entertainment Television, or a white version of the NAACP? All things are not equal. That is why I feel this league was created and for this, it will neither receive my support nor my denial.