Basketball league for white Americans targets Augusta

A new professional basketball league boasting rosters made up exclusively of white Americans has its eyes set on Augusta, but the team isn't receiving a warm welcome.

The All-American Basketball Alliance announced in a news release Sunday evening that it intends to start its inaugural season in June and hopes Augusta will be one of 12 cities with a team.

"Only players that are natural born United States citizens with both parents of Caucasian race are eligible to play in the league," the statement said.

Augusta Mayor Deke Copenhaver, who has publicly expressed his support for minor league teams in the past, said he would not do the same for this team.

"As a sports enthusiast, I have always supported bringing more sporting activities to Augusta," he said. "However, in this instance I could not support in good conscience bringing in a team that did not fit with the spirit of inclusiveness that I, along with many others, have worked so hard to foster in our city."

Clint Bryant, athletic director at Augusta State University, laughed when he heard the news.

"It's so absurd, it's funny, but it gives you an idea of the sickness of our society" he said. "It shows you what lengths people will go to just to be mean-spirited. I think at any basketball level, no matter if it's all black, all white, all Hispanic, all Asian or anyone else, the players should just be a basketball team."

Don "Moose" Lewis, the commissioner of the AABA, said the reasoning behind the league's roster restrictions is not racism.

"There's nothing hatred about what we're doing," he said. "I don't hate anyone of color. But people of white, American-born citizens are in the minority now. Here's a league for white players to play fundamental basketball, which they like."

Lewis said he wants to emphasize fundamental basketball instead of "street-ball" played by "people of color." He pointed out recent incidents in the NBA, including Gilbert Arenas' indefinite suspension after bringing guns into the Washington Wizards locker room, as examples of fans' dissatisfaction with the way current professional sports are run.

"Would you want to go to the game and worry about a player flipping you off or attacking you in the stands or grabbing their crotch?" he said. "That's the culture today, and in a free country we should have the right to move ourselves in a better direction."

The Atlanta-based league, which will operate as a single-entity owning all of its teams, is looking for local contacts to pay $10,000 to become a "licensee" in one of 12 cities throughout the Southeast. Lewis said he has already received threats from people opposed to the roster restrictions and several cities have told him to stay out of town. Lewis said he has yet to hear from any one in Augusta.

"We need a local person ingrained into the community to make this successful," he said.

Lewis said he expects to eventually find support in every town with a team.

"People will come out and support a product they can identify with. I'm the spoken minority right now, but if people will give us a chance, it'll work... The white game of basketball, which is essentially a fundamental game, works."

Lewis said he wasn't sure where the team will play.

Augusta has had problems with minor league basketball teams in the past, but the issues never centered around race. The Augusta Drive lasted less than a month before folding in 1995, citing financial reasons. The Augusta Groove made it through a full, 20-game schedule in 2009, but accusations from players and local businesses that the team wasn't paying its bills surrounded the team during the second half of the season. The team later shut down in the offseason.

tashatruth
tashatruth 01/21/10 - 12:09 am
ON THAT NOTE, I need to study

ON THAT NOTE, I need to study my psychology so Ican understand racist whites like you, and so that i dont have to work for you ignorant people.

kmckown
kmckown 01/21/10 - 12:13 am
It is kind of a silly

It is kind of a silly proposition. How would you know who was really "Caucasian?" Last time I looked they no longer put race on birth certificates in the US. I know some people who look different than what they consider themselves, ie. friends who are "black" but look white, friends who are "white" but look hispanic, etc. How would one judge this? How far back would one go tracing ancestry, and not too far back since it is pretty much agreed that all humanity originated in Africa.

It is a racist proposition because when you make exclusion from an organization based on race that is racist. That applies to all races and all organizations. BET/NAACP/etc are not excluding all whites/hispanics/orientals. (Yes, there are some racist Black organizations.) The NBA is not racist because all races are able to compete equally for jobs in the NBA, the fact that a high percentage of the players are black is not because of a "no whites" rule. Starting a league that plays by the "old" rules and has morality clauses in their contracts might be more in line with the claimed purpose of this group.

DaveyC
DaveyC 01/21/10 - 12:14 am
NorthernAggressor, Are you

NorthernAggressor,
Are you arguing against yourself? Notice the Southern states with the problems you mention tend to have a high percentage of blacks.
West Virginia is mostly white and relatively poor, but notice it has a low crime rate and is a MUCH nicer place to live than Haiti. It's not even close.

PedroBearington
PedroBearington 01/21/10 - 12:16 am
@tashatruth U MAD?

@tashatruth U MAD?

Pu239
Pu239 01/21/10 - 12:18 am
Hey Tasha? regarding your

Hey Tasha? regarding your 2304....I didn't rob anyone, I didn't enslave anyone, I haven't killed a single minority or majority. Regarding your 2309...I could never, ever be as racist as you are. You really do need an education because ignorant as you present yourself to be...I doubt you could ever work for me.

kmckown
kmckown 01/21/10 - 12:30 am
triniman 65 Love your idea,

triniman 65 Love your idea, and your humor. I'm white but I like to hang on to the side too. Can I come too?

NorthernAggressor
NorthernAggressor 01/21/10 - 12:39 am
Banking, Medical, Finance,

Banking, Medical, Finance, Energy, Food. You want more PeeEww?

Pu239
Pu239 01/21/10 - 12:48 am
So Northern Sphincter....the

So Northern Sphincter....the north is independent on banking, finance, energy, and food? Perhaps you could piece together a few syllables to explain WTH you mean? On second thought don't bother....it's outside your area of expertise.

corgimom
corgimom 01/21/10 - 12:54 am
" I DIDNT CHOSE TO BE HERE, I

" I DIDNT CHOSE TO BE HERE, I DIDNT ROB A NATION OF LAND AND I DIDNT ENSLAVE AND KILL THOUSANDS OF MINORITIES." Well, Tasha, then go back. Nobody's stopping you. But you know, there is still slavery in Africa, so you might have a problem with that too. Now, let's talk about African history. You know, when Africans captured Africans and sold them to the slave traders, who took them to the US. Remember that part? Oh, and there are wars in Africa right now, where they are killing thousands of blacks. Hmmmm.......well, I'm sure you'll love it once you get there.

NorthernAggressor
NorthernAggressor 01/21/10 - 12:54 am
(ignoring daveyc as states in

(ignoring daveyc as states in the north have plenty of blacks too)
Tasha, keep studying and don't let the inbreeds rile you up.
Most of these people on here you are fighting with are undereducated and these points pass over them. Notice their continued reference to BET or NAACP as an equivalence to a racial exclusive club. They are watching the country progress beyond their understanding so they come on here to inflate themselves.

Keep studying and take pride in knowing when you get that degree, they'll be [filtered word]. I've done it and even left the firm after my first three years and the senior partners who thought I was the cats meow was sure to express how I wouldn't make it. Now I see them quarterly looking to me for business.

Get them where it hurts, break the stereotypes and kill 'em with the facts.

historian
historian 01/21/10 - 01:01 am
I think this is

I think this is disgraceful.

1) Black colleges do not discriminate. There are a number of non-Black students who attend who did not grow up in predominantly Black neighborhoods.
2) Black organizations allow non-Black members. One of the national student presidents of AKA is White. She got voted in!
3) The only things I know that "discriminate" against race, if we want to use that word, are grants and fellowships for cultural groups But still, they don't say "You have to be a White Cuban."

I understand how certain people want to get back to the original game. But really? Do you think that barring non-Whites is going to make everything alright?? Just like how the drug problem is only in minority neighborhoods, huh....
SMH

Overall, it looks like the people who made comments pretty much agree that this may not be the best look for Augusta.

Pu239
Pu239 01/21/10 - 01:08 am
NA........thanks for the

NA........thanks for the laugh........now I have Carlton Banks doing the Tom Jones dance playing over and over in my mind. "The cats meow".........unbelievable! BTW....the last statement of your 2354 makes the most sense of ANYTHING you have posted. That statement holds true no matter race, gender, religion, or creed.

NorthernAggressor
NorthernAggressor 01/21/10 - 01:12 am
PeeEww, you really have to

PeeEww, you really have to ask? Try this, read the facts and check them for yourself, that I posted. Then come back and tell me what you racist have accomplished in 140 years on your own. Why is it you are dependent on the quality of life and income in the North so that you can feed off of our taxes in the South.

Southern cities that have thrived like Atlanta and Charlotte have done so by including all of their citizens in leadership at the table. Still can't learn from that?

NorthernAggressor
NorthernAggressor 01/21/10 - 01:16 am
Riiiight, you only think that

Riiiight, you only think that blacks talk like some character on tv or in a rap video. Maybe I can help you out by ending this night with a 'Damn Skippy' or 'Ah-ite Yo!'

Go climb on your sister, she's missing you and your father.

tashatruth
tashatruth 01/21/10 - 01:23 am
Im proud of my roots, I'm

Im proud of my roots, I'm here and IVE NEVER BEEN TO AFRICA LIKE YOU HAVE NEVER BEEN TO EUROPE! lol obviously this disucussion has gotten off topic, and some people are too immature to handle others opinions. However, somebody might want to tell "corgimom" that the Afircan Wars have nothing to do with an all "white" basketball team. And, if "your" country was violated and its people constantly sold; you'd probably be at war too. But you would'nt know because Europeans never stayed in their own country long enough to figure it out. And thanks NA =]

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 01/21/10 - 01:48 am
though I don't really agree

though I don't really agree with excluding anyone from anything, I do see the need for certain pride groups and possible people being togehter who just share the same values of something. Its ok to have black only this black only that, hispanic this..etc... you get the point, but oh no.... whites can't have a white anything without being racist. Its called black pride or whatever pride and its ok and not racist, anything having to do with whites can't ever be white pride only racist. Bunch of fricken hypocrites!! Makes me sick!

JR_001
JR_001 01/21/10 - 03:01 am
I think the hostility

I think the hostility displayed by the self-identified African here kind of shows everyone why whites would choose to self-segregate themselves from such hostile angry people who feel they are owed some debt because their great-great-great grandparents picked cotton for a minority of wealthy whites when (at the time) there was a majority of poor landless whites much worse off and poorer than black slaves all around the USA.

Blacks have no problem collectively blaming whites for the slavery practiced by a minority of long dead rich white people, yet when a modern living member or members of the black race is seen committing an atrocity against a white person or persons or committing random crimes against society they start invoking arguments of how you cannot collectively blame the black race for the acts of a few members of the black race.

JR_001
JR_001 01/21/10 - 03:06 am
So if all whites are

So if all whites are responsible for the slavery practiced by a relatively few rich white slave owners over a hundred years ago then to be consistent all blacks are responsible for violent senseless acts committed by their fellow blacks today.

How do you like them apples?

Kudzu2
Kudzu2 01/21/10 - 03:08 am
NA, I have no intention to

NA, I have no intention to succumb to your "race baiting". I only entered this foray to defend your racist portrayal of the south. There are several points of contention that you distort or simply leave out, I'm sure an acquired instrument of the legal profession. I will;however, defend myself and my south. Now, you have me at a disadvantage as I have no idea what part of the country you reside... all I can surmise is that you are needy little man that has to blame someone for a community that under achieves in every respect and blames "the man" because they chose not to participate in their own education. I will wager that I helped pay for your education, please tell me you worked your way college and law school. As far as your stats on education, please be concise and break down the stats to major cities, not states and include the racial make up of each city...lets be fair, oops fair would just be racist. Have you ever been south? I'm certain you have not but many thousands of your "people" have re-located to escape the wonderful yankee life. Black leadership and federal dollars....Look up Tuskegee Alabama/ Wal Mart, the only store to close in America. White incest, really!!

DaveyC
DaveyC 01/21/10 - 03:44 am
Northern

Northern Aggressor,
"(ignoring daveyc as states in the north have plenty of blacks too)"
Yes, and they have similar problems as the states in the south with plenty of blacks. Thanks for continuing to back up my points.

riceroni
riceroni 01/21/10 - 05:27 am
@obkad - You referring to

@obkad - You referring to blacks having all black clubs without identifying one; the NAACP / Urban League as having all black memberships, must work fox noise. It's all in your head and without any factual information, knowledge or credible research to support his statements. Fact, I've never seen or heard of any public black club identify itself as "Black Only". Typically, and historically, black organizations were formed because for years they were not allowed to join, participate or contribute in White social, professional or educational clubs, organizations etc. Although, they met the citeria, other than being white to join. Fact, the NAACP / Urban League not only have white members, latino and members of all hues, they welcome diversity. Fact, they also employ people who are qualified, and commited to equal access, i.e. housing, employment,education; freedoms under the constitution for all, including yours. Facts,not fiction or just some factless statement to justify your position. As far as the formation of AABA; all white Basketball Alliance is concerned, I could care less, but most athletes worth their salt, are driven by the competitive spirit. Not this debauchery.

humbleopinion
humbleopinion 01/21/10 - 08:22 am
I for one WOULD THEY have

I for one WOULD THEY have BET, NAACP, United NEGRO College Fund, Congressional BLACK Caucus, BLACK Expo, BLACK Miss America, BLACK Panthers and more, but let white people try and do something and they scream RACISM. Bring on the league! After all, whites are almost the minority in America now, so it's about time to have "our" groups and activities just like the previous minorities have had!

Pu239
Pu239 01/21/10 - 08:40 am
Northern Sphincter.....your

Northern Sphincter.....your ramblings still make no sense. If I interpret your poorly stated "FACTS" correctly, the north derives all of its "altruistic wealth and knowledge" independent of its business, finance, medical and energy infrastructure? So you are telling me that everyone in the north is independently wealthy and morally above reproach? I'm sure that you can tell me all about inbreeding, judging from the caliber of your responses you are most likely a brother and an uncle to the same person

reb007
reb007 01/21/10 - 08:49 am
I guess I'm a tea party

I guess I'm a tea party racist. Stand up for what is right and you are called a racist. I'm getting a little tired of all the BS. 90% of the robberies,rapes, and all crimes in general are commited by blacks. So I'm a racist if I say anything about that.

Moochzilla
Moochzilla 01/21/10 - 11:39 am
Will Syracuse's Eric

Will Syracuse's Eric Devendorf be invited to join? He's a fine young example of sportsmanship!

This is why no one takes the South seriously. You are all trying to get back to a vision of America that never existed, that was only seen on the TV screen with "Happy Days" and "Andy Griffith".

This is another example of Southern white people upset that they now have to compete with a bigger group. Unlike your daddys and granddaddys, you aren't handed all the best jobs and positions in society because you are a white male. You have to work for it. And that angers you.

My grandparents came off the boat and our family has worked, advanced, and is now reaping the benefits. You guys just sit back and whine about what could have been if you had won a Civil War that you had NO shot at ever winning. None. Zero. It's a real shame, like some kind of geogrpahical mental disorder.

Moochzilla
Moochzilla 01/21/10 - 11:46 am
Does this while concept not

Does this while concept not assume that the NBA is set up to favor blacks? And can't we all agree that this is a ludicrous assumption? White suburban kids are soft, they don't compete and don't play sports anymore. They skateboard. They snowboard. They pick sports where there is less competition. That's why the NBA is mostly black, those communities play the sport from young childhood through High School. And don't tell me white kids cannot play, I see plenty of (gasp) foreigners making it in the NBA. Dirk Nowitzki, Steve Nash, Peja Stojakoic. When whites moved to gates communities in the suburbs they got soft and lazy. And that is why any league that features them will fail. It would be an awful product.

NorthernAggressor
NorthernAggressor 01/21/10 - 11:49 am
For the record I live in

For the record I live in Grant Township, Minnesota. Its a burb with some room to stretch out. You couldn't get past the gates. -
JR001- You start off by addressing one black person, then move on to attribute comments to the entire race. You seem to be ignorant beyond belief. Why would you say such things about crime when the FBI keeps stats? You think we are all as stupid and lazy as you are? According to the FBI white commit MORE violent crime than blacks, especially forced rape- animals! Educate yourself (or for those who are reading and remain silent).
Here are your sources:
http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/05cius/data/table_43.h... - year 2005
http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/cius2006/data/table_43... - year 2006
http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/cius2007/data/table_43... - year 2007

Tashatruth, that's how you beat them. You keep showing where their words and assertions are false and illogical. If they have any self respect, they'll shut up. However, you can count on people like JR, PU,humble, Davey and Cody to keep talking. It doesn't appear they let facts get in the way of a good story. Stay in the books, it will pay off in the long run.

Moochzilla
Moochzilla 01/21/10 - 11:54 am
NA - they create their own

NA - they create their own reality. They see what they want. If they dislike black people they just prenetend that that group is responsible for all the problems in the world.

Same way that Southern states live off of Federal welfare, but they are against big government. My taxes all go South, they benefit fromthe very system they claim to despise.

Moochzilla
Moochzilla 01/21/10 - 11:56 am
Oh, and DumDum Millionare

Oh, and DumDum Millionare (aka Sarah Palin) is really a smart woman of the people. Yeah, because your average Joe is a millionaire married to a lobbyist who doesn't seem to know 4th grade history. That's the REAL America!