Basketball league for white Americans targets Augusta

A new professional basketball league boasting rosters made up exclusively of white Americans has its eyes set on Augusta, but the team isn't receiving a warm welcome.

The All-American Basketball Alliance announced in a news release Sunday evening that it intends to start its inaugural season in June and hopes Augusta will be one of 12 cities with a team.

"Only players that are natural born United States citizens with both parents of Caucasian race are eligible to play in the league," the statement said.

Augusta Mayor Deke Copenhaver, who has publicly expressed his support for minor league teams in the past, said he would not do the same for this team.

"As a sports enthusiast, I have always supported bringing more sporting activities to Augusta," he said. "However, in this instance I could not support in good conscience bringing in a team that did not fit with the spirit of inclusiveness that I, along with many others, have worked so hard to foster in our city."

Clint Bryant, athletic director at Augusta State University, laughed when he heard the news.

"It's so absurd, it's funny, but it gives you an idea of the sickness of our society" he said. "It shows you what lengths people will go to just to be mean-spirited. I think at any basketball level, no matter if it's all black, all white, all Hispanic, all Asian or anyone else, the players should just be a basketball team."

Don "Moose" Lewis, the commissioner of the AABA, said the reasoning behind the league's roster restrictions is not racism.

"There's nothing hatred about what we're doing," he said. "I don't hate anyone of color. But people of white, American-born citizens are in the minority now. Here's a league for white players to play fundamental basketball, which they like."

Lewis said he wants to emphasize fundamental basketball instead of "street-ball" played by "people of color." He pointed out recent incidents in the NBA, including Gilbert Arenas' indefinite suspension after bringing guns into the Washington Wizards locker room, as examples of fans' dissatisfaction with the way current professional sports are run.

"Would you want to go to the game and worry about a player flipping you off or attacking you in the stands or grabbing their crotch?" he said. "That's the culture today, and in a free country we should have the right to move ourselves in a better direction."

The Atlanta-based league, which will operate as a single-entity owning all of its teams, is looking for local contacts to pay $10,000 to become a "licensee" in one of 12 cities throughout the Southeast. Lewis said he has already received threats from people opposed to the roster restrictions and several cities have told him to stay out of town. Lewis said he has yet to hear from any one in Augusta.

"We need a local person ingrained into the community to make this successful," he said.

Lewis said he expects to eventually find support in every town with a team.

"People will come out and support a product they can identify with. I'm the spoken minority right now, but if people will give us a chance, it'll work... The white game of basketball, which is essentially a fundamental game, works."

Lewis said he wasn't sure where the team will play.

Augusta has had problems with minor league basketball teams in the past, but the issues never centered around race. The Augusta Drive lasted less than a month before folding in 1995, citing financial reasons. The Augusta Groove made it through a full, 20-game schedule in 2009, but accusations from players and local businesses that the team wasn't paying its bills surrounded the team during the second half of the season. The team later shut down in the offseason.

PedroBearington
PedroBearington 01/20/10 - 08:56 pm
corgimom, why don't you

corgimom, why don't you address DaveyC's arguments instead of name calling? Oh that's right you don't know how to.

MilfordLoudermilk
MilfordLoudermilk 01/20/10 - 09:01 pm
Cities soon to join:

Cities soon to join: Nashville [filtered word], Burlington Bleach Allstars, Tulsa Crackers, Knoxville Krispy Kremes, Des Moines Turtle Necks, And the Augusta- We hate black peoples

Boogaloo
Boogaloo 01/20/10 - 09:07 pm
As Monty Python would say,

As Monty Python would say, "And now for something completely different". Let the all-white league do it's thing. Attendance would be horrible unless they come up with a gimmick to bring people in. I know, at halftime they could hold "I am whiter than you contests". First event would be to strike a Negro dummy with a club and see how far it goes. 2nd event is to spot the welfare receiver in a Walmart store buying goods. 3rd event is to look at the latest arrest sheet with names and identify the Afro-Americans. What fun!

JR_001
JR_001 01/20/10 - 09:14 pm
Americans today prefer

Americans today prefer classism to racism. In other words, it is low class to be a racist, but socially acceptable and even elite to be classist, upper class, that is.

JR_001
JR_001 01/20/10 - 09:18 pm
Curiously, the biggest

Curiously, the biggest cheerleaders of "diversity" are those who live furthest from it.

One's enthusiasm for "diversity" is proportional to their distance from "diversity".

mommy7
mommy7 01/20/10 - 09:22 pm
just had a theory about why

just had a theory about why blacks are good at physical activities. when they were brought over as slaves, only the storng ones survived and the smart ones (as smart as or smarter than the whites) were killed off. so all that was left were the strong stupid ones. and they procreated leaving us with a bunch of um... basketball players. granted a few smart blacks slipped thru the cracks. but when you think about it, the smarter blacks in america are the ones from different countries and not american born. another theory was that when the africans sold slaves to the white traders, they sold their dumb ones who could do physical/manual labor. not trying to be racist just a real thought.

MilfordLoudermilk
MilfordLoudermilk 01/20/10 - 09:23 pm
If that were true JR001 then

DaveyC
DaveyC 01/20/10 - 09:32 pm
corgimom, "DaveyC is an equal

corgimom, "DaveyC is an equal opportunity BIGOT and an all-around SORRY FOOL." Bigot: "a prejudiced person who is intolerant of any opinions differing from his own." Now which of us really fits the definition of bigot based on our comments?
I've arrived at my views by questioning most everything I was taught by authority figures. If I were a bigot I would just be repeating what they taught me. And guess what? Everything you have posted here I have heard before -- from those authority figures!
Yet your friends in academia would label me as an "authoritarian personality" for NOT agreeing with the views of status quo authorities. Hilarious.
Maybe you'll come off less like a bigoted indoctrinator if you'll address the points I make rather than rail at me as if I'm some Hollywood caricature.
Nothing I have proposed would require Nazis or Klansmen to implement. To the contrary, such people were (or are) an admittedly unhealthy REACTION to an already unhealthy status quo. Such Evil Bigoted Movements would never have come into being were it not for people's legitimate grievances being mocked or ignored, and ignored, and ignored.
I support free discussion and democracy. Do you?

jeffyjet
jeffyjet 01/20/10 - 09:33 pm
As a former New Yorker (thank

As a former New Yorker (thank God I got out of that socialist cesspool years ago!) during the early-1970s I was a *huge* Knicks fan -- you know, the era of Jerry Lucas, Dave Debusschere, Bill Bradley et al. By about the end of the 1970s not only had the game started looking like a national convention of the NAACP but the way it was played really turned me off, with al the slam-dunks and showboating. Gone were the days of th great Red Holzman's golden rule to find "the open man". Interestingly, several of the other commentors have similarly expressed how they're turned-off by today's black-centric style of pro basketball in which passing the ball -- you know, COOPERATING with your teammates -- is absent. The hypocrisy of those who would smear the creators of this new league as "racists" (as if that's even necessarily a bad thing!) while, at the same time, encouraging all manner of racially and ethnically oriented groups and organizations (La Raza, NAACP etc. ad nauseum) is stunning.

DaveyC
DaveyC 01/20/10 - 09:42 pm
JR_001, That reminds me of

JR_001, That reminds me of how Michael Moore lives in a mansion in a lily-white town without a single black person. A real representative of the working class there! Or Al Franken who kvetches about the "racism" of Bob Jones University, yet the talent he hires for his productions has a LOWER percentage of Blacks than BJU! (Practically all Whites, Jews, and Asians, with the percentage of blacks even lower than the tiny percentage of blacks at Bob Jones U. LOL)

DaveyC
DaveyC 01/20/10 - 10:08 pm
Milford, "If that were true

Milford,
"If that were true JR001 then the south would be yelling for an all diversity league and Boston would be hosting the All White Olympics."
You sure you want to go down this road? Segregation by both race and class is a reality in the North. The UCLU's Civil Rights Project found in 2004 that racial segregation in Metro Boston continued to be high, citing "a disastrous failure to achieve peaceful desegregation."
America's Half Blood Prince (thanks Steve Sailer) can't make the realities of race go away.
Indeed you can look at say Brazil which is far MORE racially mixed than America, yet "racism," segregation and inequalities continue to be a reality there. Even in areas where there are no "pure" whites, the lighter-skinned discriminate against the darker-skinned, and vice versa.
Scapegoating Southern Whites will only go so far. More and more Whites on both sides of the Mason-Dixon line are realizing that they have more in common with one another, than either has in common with Blacks.

Kudzu2
Kudzu2 01/20/10 - 10:22 pm
Deerhunter, The Alabama

Deerhunter, The Alabama Public School Act was passed Feb 15th, 1854 providing funding for schools and established the office of State Superintendent. There were many more "public" schools found in many communities long before the 1854 act, didn't' become a state until 1819....still don't care too much for basketball.

yepjustlikethat
yepjustlikethat 01/20/10 - 10:38 pm
im going to bed

im going to bed

BlackJesus
BlackJesus 01/20/10 - 10:53 pm
I just had to respond to some

I just had to respond to some of the foolishness I have read on here concerning the # of whites in America. First off during the gruesome slave trade, over 6 million slaves were brought here, the average plantation housed over 20 slaves and one white family of 5 members or less. It is a fact that blacks have more children per household than whites add race mixing (1 drop of black blood, u black) All that and you still will sit here and claim that white people are the majority it's absolutely absurd. That has been one of the biggest lies to ever be told. Whites are now and have always been the minority, they just have mastered (no pun intended) the art of story-telling. "Call them what we really are". I am not racist at all I just know that the crimes of many whites have gone unpunished but there will be a day of restitution.

triniman65
triniman65 01/20/10 - 11:16 pm
As a Black man from a foreign

As a Black man from a foreign country I would like to start a all Black foreign swim league where Blacks and foreigners can splash around, which is what we like. I mean, do we want to go to a swimming pool and have to worry about swimming really well like white americans with all their fancy strokes - breast stroke, back stroke, butterfly. We just want to do belly flops and hold onto the sides of the pool. I am looking for a home pool to start the league. Send all donations and ideas to BlackSplash.com

tashatruth
tashatruth 01/20/10 - 11:18 pm
Ok, first of all OBKAD, you

Ok, first of all OBKAD, you mispelled KWANZA.. if you're going to be racist, know how to spell your terms. Second of all, since white people want to get racist, WHITE MEN only want to be isolated because they dont stand on in the NBA. Theyre mad because they cant dunk, even Yao Mein can dunk! So let them make their own little league, whos going to go? The trailor Park.. And newsflash:Europeans DO NOT consider themselves WHITE, dont try to pawn your racist history on another culture. WHITES dont even know what they are, British? German? Irish? Wow. They did'nt do a thing but take land, now that they're outnumbered, THEY CANT HANDLE IT.

grillapineapple
grillapineapple 01/20/10 - 11:31 pm
I'm going to go so I can sit

I'm going to go so I can sit in the stands and feel pretty.

I bet the concession stand has a deep fryer.

tashatruth
tashatruth 01/20/10 - 11:36 pm
and every single person who

and every single person who stated "I am not a racist" ...is racist. MOMMY7 is an idiot, AFRICANS were not killed for being smart, they were killed FOR BEING BLACK! Black people are more physically competent because, simply out, we are the [filtered word]. =] We have stronger men, and women because our ancestors had to work hard to SURVIVE. Im talking lion hunting, sphere throwing Africans. We are the offspring, dont be mad because your ancestors didnt do anything but ride around on horses and hide behind guns.

NorthernAggressor
NorthernAggressor 01/20/10 - 11:38 pm
You have your right to your

You have your right to your own opinion but, not your own facts:
According to the National Center for Education Statistics Florida had the lowest graduation rate among white public school students with 60%, followed by Tennessee, Georgia, and Alaska. The highest rate of graduation among white students was 89% in North Dakota, followed by South Dakota, Nebraska, and Iowa.-
The top five states for median income in 2008 in the country are Maryland, Connecticut, New Jersey, Massachusetts and New Hampshire.
The bottom five? Alabama, Kentucky, Arkansas, W. Virginia and Mississippi.
The states with the highest college degrees? DC, Mass., Colorado, Connecticut and Maryland.
The states with the least? Nevada, Arkansas, Mississippi, Kentucky and W.Virginia

NorthernAggressor
NorthernAggressor 01/20/10 - 11:39 pm
The big one: - States

The big one:
States Receiving Most in Federal Spending Per Dollar of Federal Taxes Paid (minus nat resource payments to AK, MT, SD, ND):
New Mexico ($1.89), Mississippi ($1.84), West Virginia ($1.74), Montana ($1.64), 8. Alabama ($1.61), Arkansas ($1.53)-

States Receiving Least in Federal Spending Per Dollar of Federal Taxes Paid: New Jersey ($0.62), Connecticut ($0.64) New Hampshire ($0.68), Illinois ($0.77), Minnesota ($0.77)

ksteele
ksteele 01/20/10 - 11:43 pm
Its pretty sad watching all

Its pretty sad watching all of you attack eachother, I think you all just need to go to church and pray. I will pray for everone of you tonight.

NorthernAggressor
NorthernAggressor 01/20/10 - 11:44 pm
So, the brains and taxpayers

So, the brains and taxpayers are in the north. Those who suck of the feds more than they put in are in the south. Still want to secede? Allow me to show you the door.

Name one industry that the South is independent on? Even the foreign auto market was brought in with billions of tax breaks by the federal government.

The only places that prosper in the South are places where blacks are part of the leadership. Without those areas, it would be a Haiti with white people.

I'd appreciate if you'd racist would just stay in school and thank us Northern blacks for supporting you and your inbred families. Goodnight (some of us have employees who depend on us).

NorthernAggressor
NorthernAggressor 01/20/10 - 11:44 pm
More churches in the south

More churches in the south than anywhere else.
How's that working out for ya?

Pu239
Pu239 01/20/10 - 11:47 pm
So tasha any clue as to what

So tasha any clue as to what you are? I'll give you a hint spelling and grammar is not your forte. I would surmise petulant imp? Or maybe even angry regressive?

BGILK
BGILK 01/20/10 - 11:52 pm
Actually this isn't all that

Actually this isn't all that different than a league that is already in operation that, amazingly enough, boasts 342 teams across these very United States. Each of these teams completely dedicated to fundamental basketball & is an incredibly safe place for the whole family. As a matter of fact it even includes men of all races. It's called the National Collegiate Athletic Association or the NCAA. LOL.
Don "Moose" Lewis = Genius. (that was sarcastic)

Pu239
Pu239 01/20/10 - 11:54 pm
Hey NA...can you tell me any

Hey NA...can you tell me any industry the north is indepedent on?

tashatruth
tashatruth 01/20/10 - 11:55 pm
I'm not on here to argue,

I'm not on here to argue, just to express my opinions. PU239 however, is insinuating my race. Ok, so I'll tell you since youre so infatuated : Im the descendent of the people stolen from my native land: stolen African.

Pu239
Pu239 01/20/10 - 11:59 pm
Tasha you are the one with

Tasha you are the one with all the attitude. You state you are African....excellent....but Africa is a pretty large continent. You seemed to take issue with people stating they were European, but not breaking down their ethnicity. Shouldn't the same standards apply to you?

tashatruth
tashatruth 01/21/10 - 12:04 am
Never had a problem with

Never had a problem with that, pay attention. I dont have a problem with identifying what "white" is, WHITE PEOPLE DO. AFRICA is huge, I dont have to state my origin: I DIDNT CHOSE TO BE HERE, I DIDNT ROB A NATION OF LAND AND I DIDNT ENSLAVE AND KILL THOUSANDS OF MINORITIES.