Basketball league for white Americans targets Augusta

A new professional basketball league boasting rosters made up exclusively of white Americans has its eyes set on Augusta, but the team isn't receiving a warm welcome.

The All-American Basketball Alliance announced in a news release Sunday evening that it intends to start its inaugural season in June and hopes Augusta will be one of 12 cities with a team.

"Only players that are natural born United States citizens with both parents of Caucasian race are eligible to play in the league," the statement said.

Augusta Mayor Deke Copenhaver, who has publicly expressed his support for minor league teams in the past, said he would not do the same for this team.

"As a sports enthusiast, I have always supported bringing more sporting activities to Augusta," he said. "However, in this instance I could not support in good conscience bringing in a team that did not fit with the spirit of inclusiveness that I, along with many others, have worked so hard to foster in our city."

Clint Bryant, athletic director at Augusta State University, laughed when he heard the news.

"It's so absurd, it's funny, but it gives you an idea of the sickness of our society" he said. "It shows you what lengths people will go to just to be mean-spirited. I think at any basketball level, no matter if it's all black, all white, all Hispanic, all Asian or anyone else, the players should just be a basketball team."

Don "Moose" Lewis, the commissioner of the AABA, said the reasoning behind the league's roster restrictions is not racism.

"There's nothing hatred about what we're doing," he said. "I don't hate anyone of color. But people of white, American-born citizens are in the minority now. Here's a league for white players to play fundamental basketball, which they like."

Lewis said he wants to emphasize fundamental basketball instead of "street-ball" played by "people of color." He pointed out recent incidents in the NBA, including Gilbert Arenas' indefinite suspension after bringing guns into the Washington Wizards locker room, as examples of fans' dissatisfaction with the way current professional sports are run.

"Would you want to go to the game and worry about a player flipping you off or attacking you in the stands or grabbing their crotch?" he said. "That's the culture today, and in a free country we should have the right to move ourselves in a better direction."

The Atlanta-based league, which will operate as a single-entity owning all of its teams, is looking for local contacts to pay $10,000 to become a "licensee" in one of 12 cities throughout the Southeast. Lewis said he has already received threats from people opposed to the roster restrictions and several cities have told him to stay out of town. Lewis said he has yet to hear from any one in Augusta.

"We need a local person ingrained into the community to make this successful," he said.

Lewis said he expects to eventually find support in every town with a team.

"People will come out and support a product they can identify with. I'm the spoken minority right now, but if people will give us a chance, it'll work... The white game of basketball, which is essentially a fundamental game, works."

Lewis said he wasn't sure where the team will play.

Augusta has had problems with minor league basketball teams in the past, but the issues never centered around race. The Augusta Drive lasted less than a month before folding in 1995, citing financial reasons. The Augusta Groove made it through a full, 20-game schedule in 2009, but accusations from players and local businesses that the team wasn't paying its bills surrounded the team during the second half of the season. The team later shut down in the offseason.

CodyJ
CodyJ 01/20/10 - 05:29 pm
Milford do you honestly think

Milford do you honestly think we care about what other people think or have any shame in our culture and heritage? We are proud of our identity and really don't care about mockery.

BillEG
BillEG 01/20/10 - 05:29 pm
@obx2019 The entire world

@obx2019
The entire world uses the internet....My lord someone please tell that white Americans are not as stupid as obx2019!

MilfordLoudermilk
MilfordLoudermilk 01/20/10 - 05:29 pm
Cared enough to reply didn't

Cared enough to reply didn't ya?

MrSouthernJustice
MrSouthernJustice 01/20/10 - 05:30 pm
Now I take offence to that

Now I take offence to that Mr.Milk. Your name suits you, you sure are LOUD! Dispite how amazing an entire game of Larry Bird clones vs More Larry Bird clones would be, but to follow it up with monster trucks AND rasslin? Boy, I don't think my confederate heart could take it! I hope they make a home base in Georgia, I'd support what little money I can. However, dispite my pride, I don't think that beer should be allowed to be served as I would appriciate if my son could watch some real basketball with his old man.

obx2019
obx2019 01/20/10 - 05:34 pm
SillEG you deserve no more of

SillEG you deserve no more of my attention. Simply put you are a racist clown. Have a Blissful Day!

CodyJ
CodyJ 01/20/10 - 05:37 pm
Thanks to the moderator for

Thanks to the moderator for taking out the trash

BillEG
BillEG 01/20/10 - 05:42 pm
@obx2019 Yes of course and

@obx2019
Yes of course and Barack Obama was born in Cuba...and G. Bush Jr was a great president for your country... I see. Yes the world is laughing at the poor racist white Americans, what a shame that you will destroy such a great country.

MilfordLoudermilk
MilfordLoudermilk 01/20/10 - 05:44 pm
Wah Wah Wah...........They

Wah Wah Wah...........They banned me like a black man at Klan rally. I got erased like an escaped slave. I got kicked out for not being stupid. No longer part of the dumb club.

PedroBearington
PedroBearington 01/20/10 - 05:48 pm
Milford - U MAD?

Milford - U MAD?

TabbyBoxxyMinx
TabbyBoxxyMinx 01/20/10 - 05:57 pm
I actually like this idea. It

I actually like this idea. It will give many former college basketball players the chance to continue playing after failing to make it to the NBA.

MilfordLoudermilk
MilfordLoudermilk 01/20/10 - 06:00 pm
Deerhunter: got news for ya.

Deerhunter: got news for ya. It ain't your choice.

nobleeagle7
nobleeagle7 01/20/10 - 06:05 pm
White NBA players are more

White NBA players are more well-behaved than black NBA players.

UICbball
UICbball 01/20/10 - 06:10 pm
This is entertaining. Why is

This is entertaining. Why is everyone wasting so much time arguing over this. Obviously this league is a horrible idea, but who cares. Let Don "Moose" Lewis (haha) create this league that we all know will last for, I don't know lets say a week. Oh and for all of you racist white men in here, I myself am a white basketball player and to me this league just sounds BORING, not challenging and an excuse for the talentless.

Peace.

RowBoatSurfer
RowBoatSurfer 01/20/10 - 06:13 pm
Oh look! The idiot racists

Oh look! The idiot racists and pedos are here!

nobleeagle7
nobleeagle7 01/20/10 - 06:14 pm
MrSouthernJustice says "Such

MrSouthernJustice says "Such a legend as Larry Bird, who was strictly against the dunking..." well, was he really against dunking? Watch this link

puddingtane
puddingtane 01/20/10 - 06:30 pm
I don't care for basketball

I don't care for basketball at all; I think this is a dumb financial move. I feel it is wrong to exclude anyone because of their skin, that being said, what's good for the goose is good for the gander, If the blacks can exclude whites in any way shape or form, then the whites should be allowed equal rights to exclude the blacks.

CrystalO.
CrystalO. 01/20/10 - 07:05 pm
FratmanATL, the "white"

FratmanATL, the "white" founders and board members of the NAACP that you speak of were Jewish. More than half of the white freedom riders were jewish as were so many of the whites involved in the civil rights movement. There is even a wiki article on the civil rights movment that says the civil rights movement may not have succeeded without jews.

Here is a website:

Ben There
Ben There 03/13/10 - 01:34 pm
Ridiculous!

Ridiculous!

jasonthigpinn
jasonthigpinn 01/20/10 - 07:27 pm
Bet ol Deke would wet his

Bet ol Deke would wet his kakis welcoming an all negro league to augusta!

PedroBearington
PedroBearington 01/20/10 - 07:39 pm
Ben There doesn't appreciate

Ben There doesn't appreciate good defense. What a hater.

_Bulan
_Bulan 01/20/10 - 07:47 pm
This is just another example

This is just another example of the general depravity of White people.

We need to exterminate White people off the face of the planet in order to solve this problem!

Kudzu2
Kudzu2 01/20/10 - 08:16 pm
NorthernAggressor, I thought

NorthernAggressor, I thought you were educated, the south certainly supports itself...what an asinine, prejudicial comment. I haven't seen any of your tax dollars, I am sure they are well spent long before they might arrive south. Unless you live in a bubble, welfare is all around you...maybe not in your high tone neighborhood. Your northern brothers have a long history of prejudice and racism. Have you forgotten the race riots in Chicago, everyone is equal there until they move into the wrong neighborhood. Even the New York riots during the war of Northern Aggression...funny how easy it is to distort history when it suits your agenda. The only money the south received after war were payments for destroyed private property and theft...carpetbaggers took full advantage of our misery, that lasted well into the 20 century. Presently we are quite self sufficient, industry is thriving and many of our public school systems are on par with the best in the country. We certainly have poor county's and people that expect the schools to raise their children, I'm certain you don't....
At any rate, I digress....don't much care for Basketball.

Kudzu2
Kudzu2 01/20/10 - 08:32 pm
Nope Deerhunter, their are

Nope Deerhunter, their are many excellent public school systems. My grand daughter recently moved back from California and was behind in the current curriculum. We also have excellent State Colleges, one of them just won the National Championship. I didn't say every public school system..........

DaveyC
DaveyC 01/20/10 - 08:38 pm
CrystalO, That's true about

CrystalO,
That's true about Jews in the "Civil Rights Movement" but many readers would think that's great.
They don't realize that most of the Jews involved were pushing their own ethnic agenda, sadly to the detriment of gentile communities, White and Black.
Blacks have lower IQs than Whites on average, but smart Blacks do exist. Sadly integration has lead to most intelligent Blacks selling out their own people, much as most elite Whites have sold out theirs. The intelligent Blacks abandon their own and move into wealthier communities built and lead largely by Whites. The result is that most of their fellow Blacks who are less intellectually gifted are left w/o smart and decent role models. Just take a look at Detroit.
Or on a global scale, Haiti (the smartest blacks have left thanks to insane immigration policies in majority white countries)
To their credit, Blacks caught on pretty quickly to the fact that they were being used all along.
That's why Black anti-Semitism is easily stronger than White anti-Semitism in the United States.
For the most part, Jews personally dislike Blacks. When Blacks move into the suburbs, Jews are among the first to move OUT

Boogaloo
Boogaloo 01/20/10 - 08:39 pm
Dang, I was hoping for an all

Dang, I was hoping for an all Aryan team complete with swastikas. They could play the all Jew team with their yellow stars. Winner take all (and I do mean take all). Think of how intense the competition would be if it meant the loser would go into the ovens.

DaveyC
DaveyC 01/20/10 - 08:47 pm
As for a White basketball

As for a White basketball league, why not?
Either that or we need to institute affirmative action for Whites in the NBA. After all we keep hearing that Blacks are better at basketball. White men can't jump, right? Seriously, it's cruel to expect Whites to compete in a Black-dominated league. Now, if only the same people who triumphantly declare that Blacks are better at basketball will admit that Whites are better at, say, human relations. This point is actually addressed quite well in "A Conversation About Race" by Craig Bodeker. Check it out.
White people can't dance? Maybe not as well as Blacks, I'll concede. I'm open minded in that regard. I won't call anyone a bigot for pointing out that white people might not be as good at shootin' da hoops or breakin' it down on da dance floor. But I shouldn't be called a bigot for pointing out that black people are generally not as good as Whites (or North Asians) at swimming, or engineering, or physics, or mathematics...

JR_001
JR_001 01/20/10 - 08:47 pm
There seems to be a lot of

There seems to be a lot of fear and loathing that an exclusively white league might become very popular among the white sports fans and that the white sports fan who supports with his dollars the nearly exclusively black NBA league might become extinct.

I'm sure the reactionaries who are against free people freely forming a league are fearful that their thoughts and beliefs that they have patchwork construed in their minds over the past 4 decades might now be challenged and they do not like that. It makes them uncomfortable to question their outlook on the world.

Perhaps the capitalist NBA is not made up of the best players, but possibly the league manufactures its position and talent within the game of basketball.

Heaven for fend, the meritocracy of the NBA might not actually be a meritocracy but instead just a bunch of rich team owners who hire giant 7 foot tall negroes from west african origins and pay them less relatively than a white player would demand if whites were allowed to play or dominate the NBA in a country where Whites are the majority population counted nationwide.

corgimom
corgimom 01/20/10 - 08:50 pm
"marysdude are you implying

"marysdude are you implying all people who attend tea party rallies are white?" Let's just say the vast majority of the attendees are, indeed, white.

corgimom
corgimom 01/20/10 - 08:52 pm
DaveyC is an equal

DaveyC is an equal opportunity BIGOT and an all-around SORRY FOOL.

corgimom
corgimom 01/20/10 - 08:54 pm
"White NBA players are more

"White NBA players are more well-behaved than black NBA players" Obviously you don't remember Bill Walton and the Symbionese Liberation Army. I do.