Basketball league for white Americans targets Augusta

A new professional basketball league boasting rosters made up exclusively of white Americans has its eyes set on Augusta, but the team isn't receiving a warm welcome.

The All-American Basketball Alliance announced in a news release Sunday evening that it intends to start its inaugural season in June and hopes Augusta will be one of 12 cities with a team.

"Only players that are natural born United States citizens with both parents of Caucasian race are eligible to play in the league," the statement said.

Augusta Mayor Deke Copenhaver, who has publicly expressed his support for minor league teams in the past, said he would not do the same for this team.

"As a sports enthusiast, I have always supported bringing more sporting activities to Augusta," he said. "However, in this instance I could not support in good conscience bringing in a team that did not fit with the spirit of inclusiveness that I, along with many others, have worked so hard to foster in our city."

Clint Bryant, athletic director at Augusta State University, laughed when he heard the news.

"It's so absurd, it's funny, but it gives you an idea of the sickness of our society" he said. "It shows you what lengths people will go to just to be mean-spirited. I think at any basketball level, no matter if it's all black, all white, all Hispanic, all Asian or anyone else, the players should just be a basketball team."

Don "Moose" Lewis, the commissioner of the AABA, said the reasoning behind the league's roster restrictions is not racism.

"There's nothing hatred about what we're doing," he said. "I don't hate anyone of color. But people of white, American-born citizens are in the minority now. Here's a league for white players to play fundamental basketball, which they like."

Lewis said he wants to emphasize fundamental basketball instead of "street-ball" played by "people of color." He pointed out recent incidents in the NBA, including Gilbert Arenas' indefinite suspension after bringing guns into the Washington Wizards locker room, as examples of fans' dissatisfaction with the way current professional sports are run.

"Would you want to go to the game and worry about a player flipping you off or attacking you in the stands or grabbing their crotch?" he said. "That's the culture today, and in a free country we should have the right to move ourselves in a better direction."

The Atlanta-based league, which will operate as a single-entity owning all of its teams, is looking for local contacts to pay $10,000 to become a "licensee" in one of 12 cities throughout the Southeast. Lewis said he has already received threats from people opposed to the roster restrictions and several cities have told him to stay out of town. Lewis said he has yet to hear from any one in Augusta.

"We need a local person ingrained into the community to make this successful," he said.

Lewis said he expects to eventually find support in every town with a team.

"People will come out and support a product they can identify with. I'm the spoken minority right now, but if people will give us a chance, it'll work... The white game of basketball, which is essentially a fundamental game, works."

Lewis said he wasn't sure where the team will play.

Augusta has had problems with minor league basketball teams in the past, but the issues never centered around race. The Augusta Drive lasted less than a month before folding in 1995, citing financial reasons. The Augusta Groove made it through a full, 20-game schedule in 2009, but accusations from players and local businesses that the team wasn't paying its bills surrounded the team during the second half of the season. The team later shut down in the offseason.

MrSouthernJustice
MrSouthernJustice 01/20/10 - 04:48 pm
You see flotsam, I understand

You see flotsam, I understand how you notherns think of us southern kind as biggots and racists and that there just isn't any such disparities going on around these parts. Well I'm sorry to inform you but we do suffer from our own minority. The ghettos in our land are atrocious and forces us to lock our children in at night. We cannot attend late night festivities such as a basketball game unless our security is assured. Having an all white league will surely make our nocturnal adventures much more guarded.

puddingtane
puddingtane 01/20/10 - 04:50 pm
NorthernAggressor, Prove me

NorthernAggressor, Prove me wrong, and I will admit I'm wrong

MrSouthernJustice
MrSouthernJustice 01/20/10 - 04:55 pm
Now that I've begun to think

Now that I've begun to think about it, we really are opressed here in the south. You notherners constantly mocking our pride in the confederacy. Well what's wrong with having pride in your origins! Are we not the same men the founded America in the first place? Have our upper brothers conspire to become something we were never to be? It is this treachery that has put America in the economic picture to begin with! Are we not humans? Are we such fiends as to lash out at an association that is dedicated to something as color of skin when it's been happening for as long as we've been civil?

CodyJ
CodyJ 01/20/10 - 04:57 pm
This is very exciting news.

This is very exciting news. Anyone have any idea how much season tickets will cost? This would be great for me and my son.

NorthernAggressor
NorthernAggressor 01/20/10 - 05:00 pm
The Congressional caucuses

The Congressional caucuses are a group of members of the United States Congress that meets to pursue common legislative objectives. Formally, caucuses are formed as Congressional Member Organizations (CMOs) through the United States House of Representatives and governed under the rules of that chamber. They are not always called caucuses, and are sometimes titled coalitions, study groups, task forces, or working groups.

There are about 300 including the Bike Caucus, the Friends of Switzerland Caucus and the Republican Hispanic Caucus.

There are and have been non-black members in the Congressional Black Caucus. However, I doubt if there are non-Christians in the Congressional Christian Caucus.

As a proud white American, I thought you'd be more versed on your own government. You didn't just get schooled by a minority like myself did you? Don't want your apology or admission of being wrong. You avoiding it is a much bigger sign of who you are and what you're about.

MrSouthernJustice
MrSouthernJustice 01/20/10 - 05:01 pm
Great question Cody! I myself

Great question Cody! I myself do not know, but I wish to get ahold of some as soon as I get my paycheck from the pig wrangling ranch.

PedroBearington
PedroBearington 01/20/10 - 05:02 pm
I think it'll be very

I think it'll be very interesting to see the style of play. I enjoy seeing off the ball screens and outside shooting - to me that's the most beautiful part of the game. Let's hope they can put a competitive and entertaining product on the court.

puddingtane
puddingtane 01/20/10 - 05:02 pm
NorthernAggressor REP Clay

NorthernAggressor
REP Clay issued an official statement from his office:

"Quite simply, Rep. Cohen will have to accept what the rest of the country will have to accept - there has been an unofficial Congressional White Caucus for over 200 years, and now it's our turn to say who can join 'the club.' He does not, and cannot, meet the membership criteria, unless he can change his skin color. Primarily, we are concerned with the needs and concerns of the black population, and we will not allow white America to infringe on those objectives."

NorthernAggressor
NorthernAggressor 01/20/10 - 05:02 pm
No, MrSouthernJustice you are

No, MrSouthernJustice you are not the same men that founded this country. Those men are from the NorthEast and Mid-Atlantic. You are from the same people who worked damn hard at destroying this country twice in her history.

BillEG
BillEG 01/20/10 - 05:03 pm
Are White Americans this

Are White Americans this stupid? The civilized whole world is laughing at you!!!!!

NorthernAggressor
NorthernAggressor 01/20/10 - 05:05 pm
Oh- Don Sterling broke

Oh- Don Sterling broke federal housing laws. The ones you agree to abide by when going into the rental business. He broke the law Bubba.

BillEG
BillEG 01/20/10 - 05:05 pm
Are White Americans this

Are White Americans this stupid? The civilized world is laughing at you!!!!!...hell even the uncivilized world is laughing at you!!!!

BillEG
BillEG 01/20/10 - 05:06 pm
Are White Americans this

CodyJ
CodyJ 01/20/10 - 05:06 pm
I hope they can afford

I hope they can afford Cheerleaders in the first year. That would be a beautiful sight! I realize there is going to be a lot of negativity directed towards this league, but I support it 100%. If blacks set up a blacks-only league, no one would be outraged. But if whites make an exclusive league, they're called racists.

NorthernAggressor
NorthernAggressor 01/20/10 - 05:07 pm
Bill Clay was and is wrong

Bill Clay was and is wrong and should have been challenged under the House Rules. Cohen was a member of the Jewish Conference.

MrSouthernJustice
MrSouthernJustice 01/20/10 - 05:07 pm
I conqure Pedro, dispite my

I conqure Pedro, dispite my feelings on your name, I must admit that that style of play just gets me inspired. Such a legend as Larry Bird, who was strictly against the dunking, should be copied and film studied by every aspiring basketball player. The sheer gallop of a point guard to an overhead pass to a small forward for a 3 point basket just brings me in awe. Besides, with a rasslin promoter working this maybe we'll see some hogan leg drops on the court!

CodyJ
CodyJ 01/20/10 - 05:08 pm
@BillEG We're smart enough to

@BillEG

We're smart enough to only submit our comment one time.

gamecockjoe
gamecockjoe 01/20/10 - 05:09 pm
I think it would be nice to

I think it would be nice to have in the USA SOMETHING All American JUST one thing in our country where players go by the rules of the game no walking, no traveling, no palming,and less slam dunk showboats and pants fit. It would also be nice if red white and blue were the colors.

NorthernAggressor
NorthernAggressor 01/20/10 - 05:11 pm
Cody, the only time there

Cody, the only time there were black leagues is when WHITES had a ban against blacks playing in the professional leagues. When that barrier was dropped, the black leagues in all sports disappeared. Same thing with everything that was started during the separate but unequal period in American history championed by Southerners.

Are whites not given the opportunity to play? Then why have an all white, American born team.

PedroBearington
PedroBearington 01/20/10 - 05:12 pm
@MrSouthernJustice haha, I'm

@MrSouthernJustice haha, I'm not hispanic. I'm white. Just a funny name my kids call me.

butler123
butler123 01/20/10 - 05:14 pm
I think it is wrong, it just

I think it is wrong, it just promotes separatism. Why not just create a team with the rules of no dunks, no street ball etc. or maybe a team with people not over 5'10", so shorter people could play too.

NorthernAggressor
NorthernAggressor 01/20/10 - 05:15 pm
I would like to see the South

I would like to see the South support itself for a change. I'm tired of working hard and having my tax dollars go to the south because they chose not to invest in education or important American economic moves.
I'm tired of most of welfare and state aid going to the South. I'm also sick of them having enough time on their hands to think of dumb failed ideas like this one.

How about an engineering emphasis on harnessing American energy? Export something we want. The war is over and we in the North are still paying for you.

BillEG
BillEG 01/20/10 - 05:17 pm
No wonder your economy is

No wonder your economy is failing, you dumb bigots are still mentally in the stone ages!!!!

1. White' didn't "allow", "let" or grant freedom and rights to blacks and other non-whites....

2. The American economy cannot function if it's not totally inclusive.

History will show that the coming American depression and possibly the destruction of America was encouraged by bigotry and classism, coupled to unsound financial practices.

Really how dumb are you guys?..Sad.

MrSouthernJustice
MrSouthernJustice 01/20/10 - 05:17 pm
@Pedro. Oh I see boy, my kin

@Pedro. Oh I see boy, my kin also have some funny words for me. I still don't know what the hell a "mudkip" is though, oh well. I wonder what the team names will be, I'd love to offer up my hand for free as their graphic designer. I'm not that fancy with a computer but I'mma great ol painter.

fishingwithdarwin
fishingwithdarwin 01/20/10 - 05:17 pm
Yes wcr250, having a team

Yes wcr250, having a team that is exclusively white is racist. Having a team that doesn't allow whites is racist as well, which is why they don't exist. If they want to get away with this all they have to do is say the team is all fundamentalist christian republican. That way it will be all white and they can stealthily hate non-whites "for Jesus".

CodyJ
CodyJ 01/20/10 - 05:19 pm
@northernaggressor oh my god!

@northernaggressor oh my god! http://www.blacksoftballcircuit.com/

this is an outrage... they must be stopped. why isn't the media covering this?

puddingtane
puddingtane 01/20/10 - 05:20 pm
So I am correct. Now speaking

So I am correct. Now speaking of getting schooled.... any way my daughter needs to be picked up from school, so I'll be back.

obx2019
obx2019 01/20/10 - 05:22 pm
Yes SillEG "unsound financial

Yes SillEG "unsound financial practices" such as the ones Obama has implemented and is trying to implement. Also what do you mean "your" economy...Do you not reside in the US???

BillEG
BillEG 01/20/10 - 05:25 pm
The point that should be made

The point that should be made is that, other sports leagues do not exclude people based on race...they may be just made up of one group. This is different from outwardly excluding all races but one. That being said, I would encourage this all white league, so as to teach the world a lesson, and show the baseness and foolishness of certain groups of white Americans. The thing is, you are only hurting your own country, not blacks, not non-blacks but your own country. That's just plain stupid.

MilfordLoudermilk
MilfordLoudermilk 01/20/10 - 05:26 pm
You bunch of rednecks! All I

You bunch of rednecks! All I can say is live it up and be prepared to be laughed at...........oh but you guys are already used to being the laughing stock of the country.

SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY come to see the Pasty Whites take on the Sunburns and stay for our all obese rasslin match brought to you by trucks and stuff. Free to the first 100 drunk dumbasses to show up.