Martin Luther King Jr. changed my life

I was raised by two loving parents in a white, upper-middle-class, Deep South family. I went to church and was given every advantage; there was absolutely no reason for me to sink into disillusionment and depression. But about age 15 I did anyway, became lost and devoid of goals and focus. How miraculously fortunate it has been, then, that I discovered the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr.

Most think only of Dr. King's civil rights efforts, so his first calling as a preacher, an uplifter of the human spirit, tends to get lost in that immense conflagration. However, about 15 years ago a snippet of one of his speeches immediately struck brutally at my alarmingly dark, self-absorbed attitude. The sudden liberation I felt was amazing.

Arguably the greatest treasure in my life since that priceless moment in my early 20s is Dr. King's autobiography, edited by Claybourne Carson. This compendium always is near my bed. It's impossible to get too down in the dumps reading, say, how Dr. King dealt with the daily threat of murder for his countless altruistic efforts. Yet somehow Dr. King, despite his constant, terrifying troubles, makes me feel like he'd always take a few minutes to lend one of life's most empathetic ears.

No, Dr. King hasn't been a panacea for me. Although my nihilism no longer has the same bite, I must do many different things in the struggle to keep my numerous personal defects at bay, every single day.

Notwithstanding the supernova of moral probity that was Dr. King's unbending perseverance of the loftiest goals in human history, he has done as much as anything else to inspire me away from my own intoxicatingly conscienceless demons. And I wish these few pitiful words could do any justice to expressing my gratitude for that. Undying thanks, Dr. King.

Nathan Kirby, Augusta

johnston.cliff
johnston.cliff 01/18/10 - 06:02 am
Yes, Virginia, there is a

Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa...

ispy4u
ispy4u 01/18/10 - 07:40 am
Yes, Johnston you are an

Yes, Johnston you are an idiot.....

Fundamental_Arminian
Fundamental_Arminian 01/18/10 - 07:49 am
Nathan Kirby: "However, about

Nathan Kirby: "However, about 15 years ago a snippet of one of his [King's] speeches immediately struck brutally at my alarmingly dark, self-absorbed attitude. The sudden liberation I felt was amazing." How sad that the writer didn't share this snippet! Some specifics would've greatly improved his letter and might've helped a few readers.

johnston.cliff
johnston.cliff 01/18/10 - 07:51 am
Look up ispy, that blur

Look up ispy, that blur passing over your head is another of my comments.

ONLY THE TRUTH
ONLY THE TRUTH 01/18/10 - 08:28 am
Please put down the thesaurus

Please put down the thesaurus already.......D@mn

ispy4u
ispy4u 01/18/10 - 08:31 am
Johnston, believe me, I

Johnston, believe me, I understand every thing that you post and unlike some, also know in what context it is meant.

Riverman1
Riverman1 01/18/10 - 08:45 am
I don't mean this in any way

I don't mean this in any way disrespectful, but I enjoyed reading Iceberg Slim to gain understanding much more than MLK. You should try him on for size, Mr. Kirby.

bettyboop
bettyboop 01/18/10 - 08:56 am
I think I am going to throw

I think I am going to throw up......

justus4
justus4 01/18/10 - 09:09 am
"It is argued that the Negro

"It is argued that the Negro was inferior by nature because of Noah's curse upon the children of Ham...The greatest blasphemy of the whole ugly process was that the white man ended up making God his partner in the exploitation, chattel slavery, and destruction of the Black mind" WDWB III, MLK 1965.

Rhetor
Rhetor 01/18/10 - 09:10 am
MLK, Jr. showed us that a

MLK, Jr. showed us that a powerful moral force can overcome entrenched evil.

WW1949
WW1949 01/18/10 - 09:23 am
justus4, The Jews and the

justus4, The Jews and the Christians were also slaves to the Romans and Egyptians. Their minds were not messed up. Why? What was the comment Nathan? I wpuld like to know.

corgimom
corgimom 01/18/10 - 09:28 am
"But about age 15 I did

"But about age 15 I did anyway, became lost and devoid of goals and focus. " This is that dread disease "I am a spoiled, self-absorbed teenager"

willienelson
willienelson 01/18/10 - 09:43 am
I too was raised by two

I too was raised by two loving parents in a white middle class neighborhood and at about age 16 I wanted a car and was refused. I became severely depressed for about 2 hours and sulked around the house in a dark, self absorbed attitude until my father had enough of my cry baby crap.

fd1962
fd1962 01/18/10 - 10:44 am
I too was raised by two

I too was raised by two loving parents who were severely depressed about the threat of nuclear annihilation until they learned that the DOE had spent ten years and forty million dollars proving that bamboo is a plant that thrives in soil.

corgimom
corgimom 01/18/10 - 10:46 am
Willie, I am laughing here. I

Willie, I am laughing here. I told my son no, too. Ooh, he was mad. The answer was still no.

Irish
Irish 01/18/10 - 11:01 am
Wow, what a moving heart

Wow, what a moving heart rending commentary. There is absolutely no way to know what his basic theme is but it was a heck of an opportunity to publicly display his knowledge of the use of a thesarus....what's that knew sign for sarcasm ? :)

Irish
Irish 01/18/10 - 11:04 am
Isn't it strange as a staunch

Isn't it strange as a staunch republican Dr. Kings biggest nemisis was the entrenched DNC.

deekster
deekster 01/18/10 - 11:12 am
The Washington Establishment

The Washington Establishment did not want MLK. They were willing to use him. They were afraid of his "radical teachings". Self respect, self determination, American citizens first and his most troubling FAITH. JFK and RFK were on the same hit list. How different history would have been had these men survived.

Irish
Irish 01/18/10 - 11:43 am
Dr. King would not have been

Dr. King would not have been proud of the America that is today...He never envisioned a welfare society. That was LBJs way of silencing the masses while insuring the vote.....

formeraugres
formeraugres 01/18/10 - 12:27 pm
justus4 - you are wrong - we,

justus4 - you are wrong - we, that are children of God has the Holy spirit in us and are not inferior to no one - its thinking like yours that fuel so many idiots. We are spirits traped in flesh to live here on earth. Jesus took all curses to the Cross with him.

Harmonielehre
Harmonielehre 01/18/10 - 02:54 pm
The problem with this letter

The problem with this letter is certainly not MLK, it is the letter writers pathetic attempt to seem verbose by using a ridiculous run-on of obscure words.

KSL
122017
KSL 01/18/10 - 06:26 pm
Yep, ispy definitely got up

Yep, ispy definitely got up in a foul mood this morning.