Bottom line

Denver public school officials have apologized for signing off on a school lunch menu meant to honor the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. for MLK Day.

The lunch, planned for Friday, was to have included Southern fried chicken, collard greens and a biscuit.

Such an appalling stereotype is enough to make your head hurt. But school board president Nate Easley Jr. offered the

offended some needed perspective.

"I don't think people woke up in the morning and said, 'How can we offend people?' " Mr. Easley told The Denver Post. "(T)he things that offend me more is how we are doing with kids in the district. ... If Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. was alive today, I think he would be more concerned about our outcomes of our students than what they are eating to honor him."

Oh, and did we mention Mr. Easley is black?

johnston.cliff
johnston.cliff 01/18/10 - 05:59 am
My kids didn't take tap dance

My kids didn't take tap dance because they didn't want to offend and I always keep a 'wet-one' in my pocket when I work on the car so I won't ever be seen wearing black face. Personally, I love fried chicken and collard greens, but have stopped eating them (and watermelon) for fear of offending. When I see the "ethnically allowed" eating these foods, I politely divert my eyes. The divisive approach of the ultra-sensitive and mega-offensive politically correct is the language of slavery that keeps so much of our population shackled and separated from inclusion in society, but it does produce a lot of Dem voters. I guess it's all about perspective.

Roeschen
Roeschen 01/18/10 - 06:29 am
My kids and grandkids take

My kids and grandkids take tap lessons. I love fried chicken and watermelon but am not too fond of collard greens. If someone finds what I eat offensive, well, then shame on them. They can pay for my meals and buy my groceries.

johnston.cliff
johnston.cliff 01/18/10 - 06:36 am
Roeschen, sarcasm rules. The

Roeschen, sarcasm rules. The second part of my post explains the first.

Riverman1
Riverman1 01/18/10 - 06:40 am
When I was in the Army it was

When I was in the Army it was common to honor MLK Day with "soul" food. On Spanish holidays, we had Mexican food. What's wrong with doing that in a school? Yesterday, President Obama attended an all black church and spoke at length and I don't believe Americans fault him for that even though it was a loud and boisterous amen crowd. Should we fault the president for attending a stereotypical black church? With the election of Obama, the largest increase ever of blacks felt that black people were better off than they had been five years earlier and this is in the midst of our Great Recession. Relax everyone and enjoy the fried chicken and collard greens.

ONLY THE TRUTH
ONLY THE TRUTH 01/18/10 - 08:32 am
I had collard greens and pork

I had collard greens and pork chops last night. Does that count???

bettyboop
bettyboop 01/18/10 - 08:33 am
people just get more stupid

people just get more stupid everyday.......those kids will love that chicken and as for the greens well thats an "acquired" taste..........................

Martinez
Martinez 01/18/10 - 08:42 am
The PC Crowd has taken this

The PC Crowd has taken this one way too far.

ispy4u
ispy4u 01/18/10 - 08:43 am
Sounds like a good menu to

Sounds like a good menu to me. But hey, I am from the south. Lighten up snapper heads. LOL

ispy4u
ispy4u 01/18/10 - 08:48 am
Hell, it could have been

Hell, it could have been Chitlins and rutabaga.

seenitB4
seenitB4 01/18/10 - 08:55 am
Sounds like good eating,,

Sounds like good eating,, any day of the week..I was raised on fried chicken,, collard greens,, cornbread,, sweet potatoes..good ole southern supper.. also ice tea..

Riverman1
Riverman1 01/18/10 - 09:02 am
SeenitB4, now you've done it.

SeenitB4, now you've done it. My mother would even cook grits for supper. Her gravy was the grease from whatever meat she had fried, and she always fried the meat, mixed with flour, little milk and COLD water to make the gravy gel a little. She would hold the big skillet under the faucet and it would steam up and hiss loudly as the water hit it and she stirred ferociously. The rest of the grease went back into the old Crisco can to use the next time. She did have a separte can for fish grease though. My coronary arteries shut off at 12 years old and I underwent quadruple bypass surgery before I could enter high school. (a joke folks)

overburdened_taxpayer
overburdened_taxpayer 01/18/10 - 09:23 am
I confess, I hate chicken AND

I confess, I hate chicken AND greens. But I see nothing wrong with putting it on a school menu. Some people just aren't happy and these complainers are some.

RushLimbuttbubba
RushLimbuttbubba 01/18/10 - 09:26 am
Hey guys and gals...are these

Hey guys and gals...are these white jokes or black jokes?!?...I want to laugh but... 1. I don't want to offend anyone....2. I don't want to appear to be dumbest of all.

justus4
justus4 01/18/10 - 09:27 am
Ol' Easley is the type

Ol' Easley is the type individual that kept African-Americans in chains for 180 yrs. His view of problem-solving will always be against those who look like him. In fact, he is EXACTLY the type that non-minorities put in ones face on matters of race, secretly saying, "see...here is one who thinks like we do" while a fool like Easley is thinking a promotion. He is a C. Thomas-type who is used as a front to exact harm on minorities. Because he is black, don't mean he comprehends Black issues. Why keep his type on staff?

corgimom
corgimom 01/18/10 - 09:31 am
We eat greens at school. Now

We eat greens at school. Now that I know that I am unwittingly perpetuating a stereotype, I will refuse to eat them. I know that will benefit millions. (*snort*)

RushLimbuttbubba
RushLimbuttbubba 01/18/10 - 09:34 am
Why not just stop eating!?!

Why not just stop eating!?!

overburdened_taxpayer
overburdened_taxpayer 01/18/10 - 09:40 am
Ol' justus4 is the type

Ol' justus4 is the type individual that kept a certain segment of Americans down for decades because of their hate for anything not them. Take an American that moves into the mainstream to work with instead of hate other Americans for a common cause and they are labeled traitors by those like justus4.

nofrills
nofrills 01/18/10 - 09:50 am
When will we as a society

When will we as a society stop think about ourselves and take care of the important things. Look around there are people dying everywhere, Iraq, Afghanistan, Haiti, Somalia, Kenya. With the entire world suffering and still we don't have enough. We still can't get along. What a Dream!

nofrills
nofrills 01/18/10 - 09:50 am
When will we as a society

AWyld1
AWyld1 01/18/10 - 09:57 am
to many people look for

to many people look for racism where there is none and ignore it when it's blatant....just see any of justus' posts....

willienelson
willienelson 01/18/10 - 10:17 am
Racism is real. Racism is

Racism is real. Racism is rampant. Just ask any white athelete in America. Why do you think that despite blacks representing only 12% of the total population in the US, 86% of the NBA is black?? And, pleases, don't give me that worn out old lie that all black atheletes are the best.

crackerjack
crackerjack 01/18/10 - 10:25 am
Not only 86% of the NBA is

Not only 86% of the NBA is black, but 95% of the fans that fill the stands to help pay their extravagant salaries, are white.

ispy4u
ispy4u 01/18/10 - 10:31 am
Why stop there? You have

Why stop there? You have Hockey, Skiing, Golf, Wrestling and on and on. Break those down.

corgimom
corgimom 01/18/10 - 10:33 am
Martin Luther King Jr. would

Martin Luther King Jr. would be appalled at the black culture that glorifies thugs and gangsters, calls women derogatory names, and where there is an expectation and acceptance that going to prison is normal and anti-social behavior is ok.

Irish
Irish 01/18/10 - 10:52 am
OMG. ISPY is really Austin

OMG. ISPY is really Austin Rhodes in disguise. I knew there was a reason everyone loves to hate him. Snapper head

Irish
Irish 01/18/10 - 10:53 am
Actually Chicken and grits

Actually Chicken and grits might have been more appropriate....

Brenda_G
Brenda_G 01/18/10 - 10:53 am
Dr. King had a dream. A part

Dr. King had a dream. A part of that dream was that people would be judged by their character and not the color of their skin. It seems to me that those who are quickest to "judge" have missed the message. We see them on here, never missing an opportunity to cast aspersions. The passion would be better spent pressing toward the positive rather than the negative. It's hard to take someone seriously when they can sing only one note.

disssman
disssman 01/18/10 - 11:04 am
What a sick society we are.

What a sick society we are. Actually I find it disgusting that teachers and school administrators aren't required to eat at least one meal a week in the school cafeteria. The last time I ate in a school was a disgusting experience I will never forget.

luckie
luckie 01/18/10 - 11:06 am
I want fried chicken at my

I want fried chicken at my school. All we ever have is baked.

ustabe
ustabe 01/18/10 - 12:09 pm
Happy birthday, Rev. King.

Happy birthday, Rev. King. You did so much for all of us. There's still a lot to do, isn't there?

Paine plans furloughs, salary cuts, layoffs

Paine College President George C. Bradley on Friday announced the college will implement furlough days, salary reductions and layoffs to save $2.4 million over the next fiscal year.