Perdue hints at teacher pay options

ATLANTA --- Teachers can opt to have their pay raises based partly on how well their students perform, according to legislation Gov. Sonny Perdue said Tuesday he will introduce.

He also said only one area of the budget -- mental health -- will be getting more money under his recommendations.

His answer to health reform is to allow individuals to purchase insurance approved in other states, even if it hasn't been OK'd by Georgia's insurance commissioner.

The governor gave the first hints at his legislative package during a speech to 2,700 people attending a breakfast sponsored by the Georgia Chamber of Commerce. He will make a more extensive pitch for it today during his State of the State address to a joint session of the General Assembly. He also said he will unveil legislation for mandatory water conservation in addition to a way to generate new funding for transportation.

He spoke the longest on education. So-called pay for performance plans have been a longtime goal of conservatives and a sticking point with many teacher organizations fearful of members losing out in circumstances they can't completely control.

Mr. Perdue said his proposal, to be enacted over several years, would be a way for good teachers to get a major boost in pay.

"I believe our best teachers should be eligible to receive the compensation of our champion football coaches," he said.

New and veteran teachers would be able to choose to have their pay raises determined half by student achievement and half by observations of how they manage their classrooms. Or they could remain in the current system, which boosts salaries for each additional degree they earn, such as a master's or doctorate.

"Why should we continue to base pay on a proxy of an advanced degree when we can base it on the real thing?" Mr. Perdue asked.

The Georgia Educators Association is waiting for the details before they decide to support or oppose his idea, according to President Jeff Hubbard. For instance, Mr. Hubbard suggests the achievement be measured by the student's classroom participation and work on projects rather than standardized tests.

"If they are going to base it just on a standardized test score, that is going to be a problem with us because a child is more than a standardized test score and a teacher is more than a standardized test score," Mr. Hubbard said.

Mr. Perdue acknowledged such tests could lead to more allegations of teachers cheating on tests, something he intends to address with a separate bill that will do more to safeguard the integrity of tests. And he said he'll seek teacher input on how to design the merit-pay legislation to address their concerns.

Another way to improve education, he said, is to pass legislation introduced last year to boost the ethics of school boards and allow the removal of board members who don't comply. He mentioned Warren County's loss of accreditation this week as an example of the board's behavior harming the entire system.

Though he didn't say much about the looming shortfall in the current budget, he did say pending federal legislation for health reform would add to the state's troubles. His alternative was allowing the sale of insurance policies in Georgia from other states.

He told reporters after his speech that the only part of the budget to escape cutting will be programs dealing with mental health. He releases his full budget Friday.

His ideas for new money for transportation are not likely to come out of the general budget but rather from either the sale of bonds or some new form of tax, such as the various sales-tax plans under discussion in the Legislature in recent years.

Mr. Perdue's staff said details about transportation funding would come later in the session.

STATE OF THE STATE ADDRESS

ATLANTA --- Gov. Sonny Perdue will deliver the State of the State Address today at 11 a.m. Georgia Public Broadcasting will simulcast the address on GPB Knowledge, GPB Radio and stream it online at www.gpb.org. The entirety of Mr. Perdue's address can also be seen at 7 p.m. on GPB.

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 01/13/10 - 05:22 am
So, mental health programs

So, mental health programs won't be cut, huh? Well, that's a good thing because this man is causing nothing but stress and anxiety for the teachers! Can't wait for him to get out of office.

thankgodforaugusta
thankgodforaugusta 01/13/10 - 08:30 am
yea god forbid someone be

yea god forbid someone be expected to preform their job to get a raise who does he think he is

coolette
coolette 01/13/10 - 08:35 am
How about parent surveys as

How about parent surveys as part of the review?

garciadrive
garciadrive 01/13/10 - 08:47 am
c'mon coolette. that would

c'mon coolette. that would never work. too many parents think their kids can do no wrong. so parental surveys, while they would most likely be objective in form, would be covertly subjective far too often.

themaninthemirror
themaninthemirror 01/13/10 - 09:07 am
I have to agree with Just MY

I have to agree with Just MY Opinion. Our current governor is not much different than Roy Barnes when it comes to education. After all, isn't Perdue a turncoat Democrat. Personally, I think he is a RINO,(Republican IN Name Only). I do feel for those with mental health issues, but I would venture to guess that those whose mental health issues are serious enough to depend on state mandated care, are probably not productive members of our society. What I mean by that, is that they are probably not able to hold down steady jobs and support a family. Given the current economic situation, shouldn't the focus be on putting the money into organizations where it would provide and keep jobs?

thewiz0oz
thewiz0oz 01/13/10 - 09:21 am
Good teachers are the most

Good teachers are the most under-paid members of our society. Teachers should be given the authority and resources necessary to produce a well educated student and then held accountable which means a program to determine the outcome of the education process. Most teachers have to work with one hand tied behind their back because of non-teaching responsibilities and often being considered a 'baby-sitter' by the parent. Give the teacher control of the process and then reward them for the outcome. This will attract better teachers and produce a better educated public. hummmmmm -- but some say politicians don't want the public to be too educated -- might significantly change voting patterns.

cojak
cojak 01/13/10 - 09:26 am
I see too many parents who

I see too many parents who enable their children's poor school performance, lack of respect and poor discipline and blame the teachers, schools and police for it. They demand teacher changes, grade changes and exceptions made for their children's misbehavior. The teacher can only do so much in the classroom. "You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink."

livinginthebuckle
livinginthebuckle 01/13/10 - 09:30 am
So does that mean teachers

So does that mean teachers who teach at schools like Davidson (who get to pick and choose the students they admit) will be getting a bonus while the rest of the teachers in the system have no choice but to put up with students who don't want to be there and disrupt their classes?

thewiz0oz
thewiz0oz 01/13/10 - 09:51 am
A teacher can only be held

A teacher can only be held accountable if he/she has control of the situation. I believe that the best teachers should be placed into the most challenging situations, given full control and full support in the management of their class rooms and students and paid a premium for the outcome. Davison is a physical structure -- with the right programs that focus on the education process where a competent teaches is given the authority and resources any school could replicate the results that have traditionally come from Georgia’s finest school, Davison.

scoobynews
scoobynews 01/13/10 - 09:52 am
How about we start doing this

How about we start doing this for every profession? Doctor's can be paid based on how well the outcome of your treatment was and you decide how much you want to pay them for their service. Don't like the way that waiter served up your meal then just pay the restaurant less money for the meal because it was their fault for hiring them in the first place. EMT's didn't show up fast enough to your house just don't pay them or take a percentage off. Pumbler didn't finish your pipes fast enough just have him deduct a little bit off the bill. Nurse didn't come fast enough when you pressed the call button just deduct it from her pay. Hair dresser took to long to do your cut, color, and blow dry take a little off her bill too. Stay at home mommies could have grade scales based on their child's performance at school to see how well they are doing as a SAH mommie. They could be graded on how many times their kid gets written up, a grade for each score of A, B, C, or Ds their kid brings home, how often their kid doesn't get tardies. I mean come on do we see how stupid this is so why base ONE profession's income on what a child decides to do or NOT do in a classroom.

UncleBill
UncleBill 01/13/10 - 10:17 am
I am not a teacher. It is a

I am not a teacher. It is a good thing too, because if my pay were based on performance of the students I for sure would not want to work in a classroom with problem students. In my humble opinion, if you base teacher pay on improved performance pretty soon you won't be able to find teachers who will work with problem students.

Chillen
Chillen 01/13/10 - 10:19 am
scoobynews. It is already

scoobynews. It is already done for most professions. If you don't like the outcome of your medical treatment then you don't go back to that doctor or don't refer anyone to them. They make less money. If you don't like your waiter, then don't tip him or her. Hair dressers who take too long won't get a repeat customer or a referral from you, again, hitting them in the pocket book too. I don't know enough about our education system to comment on the merit based teacher pay so I won't comment on that, I'll just leave it up to the folks who do. But most of our society works and people succeed based on how they perform.

scoobynews
scoobynews 01/13/10 - 10:38 am
Chillen, I see your point but

Chillen, I see your point but those are all outcomes of poor service and the hairdresser and doctor still get their pay for that service. Teacher's are observed each year by administration and their preformance determines if they have a contract the next year or now. If they are tenured then it determine's if they have to take training courses in deficient areas. So yes, teacher's performances are based on a school set by the state and county they work in. My complaint is that teacher's don't mind being rated and scaled based on their peers evaluations but to have their pay based on the performance of students who may or may not try is not fail. Look at the different socio-economic backgrounds of the different schools. A teacher working at Riverside will not have the same students as a teacher at Glenn Hills Middle school. You have some homes were students have access to additional learning aids such as computers and money for tutor then you have others were families can't afford a computer. The scale is NOT fair and it never will be if based on STUDENT performance not TEACHER performance. As one poster said "you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink".

GAterp
GAterp 01/13/10 - 10:50 am
Folks have told me that I'm

Folks have told me that I'm half nuts, so maybe that means Sonny will give me more money. And that's a good thing!

Chillen
Chillen 01/13/10 - 11:08 am
scoobynews agreed with you on

scoobynews agreed with you on almost all of your points but even bad teachers get paid for the year too. They, like a doctor, hairdresser etc. might not have their contract renewed the next year. But they do get paid for their year of work even if they aren't any good. My daughter has a terrible, and I mean, terrible high school math teacher this year. She can't teach or explain the material and she keeps making errors that my daughter has to correct her on. She will get paid all year even though she sucks. Hopefully she won't return next year & "not teach" yet another group of students. Where I do agree with you is that the poor teachers can't help who they get as students and if I were a teacher, I would never teach at Glenn Mills if this system were in place. If this type of system is put in place, look for a mass teacher exodus from failing schools.

TMI
TMI 01/13/10 - 11:42 am
Judge Jolly thinks she is

Judge Jolly thinks she is above the law!!! How can she court order a dead beat mother to pay 250.00 a month for two children when the law states a min of 350.00. Jolly felt she didnt have to pay that because she doesnt have a job. Blah...Blah....Blah and the gives grandparents rights. GA law once again states different. The father of these children works over 50 hours a week and now has over 15,000 dollars in lawyers bill because the mothers parents keep taking him to court. Jolly feels sorry for the drug addicted mother and gives her "supervised" visitation scheldule A. The mother can take them for a few hours alone though! WHAT!!! These poor children are in such danger and the father is having such hard time making ends meet!!!! What a broken system SHAME ON YOU Judge Jolly

coolette
coolette 01/13/10 - 12:05 pm
chillen, just curious, where

chillen, just curious, where does your daughter attend school?

Chillen
Chillen 01/13/10 - 12:22 pm
Sorry, I don't want to say

Sorry, I don't want to say because I don't want to label our school as bad because its not. I LOVE the school overall. We've just encountered a bad math teacher (in an upper level class too). My daughter has a high A in math but really hasn't learned too much this year which is disappointing with SAT's being so important your Jr & Sr. year. I've spoken to admin about it & they are aware of it.

Chillen
Chillen 01/13/10 - 12:22 pm
TMI are you on drugs or

TMI are you on drugs or something? I keep seeing your same post in several places and honestly it doesn't even make sense.

coolette
coolette 01/13/10 - 01:12 pm
well, I'm confident that it

well, I'm confident that it is not Greenbrier because their math department is EXCELLENT. They keep the grades updated and all teachers keep a website updated with notes and ETC. One teacher even has online tutoring before a test the next day from 8pm to 9pm, if a student needs help. Hope the situation improves for your daughter!!

scoobynews
scoobynews 01/13/10 - 02:44 pm
Chillen, I am sorry your

Chillen, I am sorry your child got a bad teacher. Yes, I agree there are bad teachers out there. I had a few when I was in school. The majority though are really hard working individuals. I am not sure what school your child is at but I do know that some schools are so desperate for Math and Science teachers that they will take any warm body to cover the class. I suggest looking into this teachers qualifications. There are a lot of TAPP teachers that were giving the "fast track" to become teachers. From my experience many of these people are in for a shock when they finally come into a classroom because they realize it is not as easy as they thought it would be.

PositiveThinker
PositiveThinker 01/13/10 - 03:51 pm
I am so tired of the

I am so tired of the complaint that teachers are "paid too much". As a teacher... you can get a Masters degree from ANYWHERE (including the online diploma mills) and automatically make $5,000 more every year.

Teachers only work 9 months out of the year, get incredible benefits and retirement. Their job security is pretty unbelievable. AND if they get a bad class of students... they move up the next year. For the rest of the population, if we get a bad boss we just have to deal with it.

fiscallyresponsible
fiscallyresponsible 01/13/10 - 04:04 pm
oh my positive thinker, you

oh my positive thinker, you have stirred up quite a hornets nest with that one. Hold on, it's gonna be a bumpy ride.

emergencyfan
emergencyfan 01/13/10 - 04:08 pm
Positive Thinker, if you

Positive Thinker, if you think it's such a cushy job, then why aren't you teaching for a living?

crackertroy
crackertroy 01/13/10 - 04:32 pm
emergencyyfan: exactly. And

emergencyyfan: exactly. And why do most teachers quit before year four? Why is there such a high turnover of teachers if it's so desirable. There's job security because no one else wants to do your job.

lifelongresidient
lifelongresidient 01/13/10 - 05:31 pm
i hpoe for the poor dedicated

i hpoe for the poor dedicated teachers trying to teach in the high schools(except johnson/davidson), if they would have to rely in full or partially on the standardized test scores for rasies then i would suggest not to expect any raises anytime soon

Georgiais1
Georgiais1 01/13/10 - 05:34 pm
Get rid of the teachers

Get rid of the teachers union.

GGpap
GGpap 01/13/10 - 06:19 pm
The teachers union is one of

The teachers union is one of the primary reasons that Gov. Perdue, and many others, are talking about "merit pay" salary increases for teachers. And, the negative response to this idea coming from many of the teachers simply reflects their fear that their union will lose some of its control over how wages are negotiated for public school teachers. Actually, the argument that students will be judging a teacher's success or failure in the classroom is a red herring; if there would be any consideration of student input it would only be a minor component of a much more complicated formula for judging a teachers performance. GGpap

lifelongresidient
lifelongresidient 01/13/10 - 06:29 pm
living, the children that

living, the children that attend davidson/johnson aren't chosen...their parents CHOOSE to enroll their children MUST TEST IN, they fgail the entrance exam then they do not get to attend....so it's not like those two school "cherry pick" it's the parents who value education so much to the point they sacrafice and STAY INVOLVED WITH THEIR CHID'S/CHILDREN'S EDUCATION...so do not denigrate the school or the parents for wanting their child/children to have the best education they can get, after all ITS THE PARENTS, CHILD/CHILDREN AND SCHOOL-TEACHERS/ADMINISTRATOR..ETC that all work together, if more school in richmond county would buy into davdison/johnson's learning model then the school system wouldn't turn out as many functional illiterates who can't even read the diploma they are given

scoobynews
scoobynews 01/13/10 - 06:30 pm
Postivie Thinker as a

Postivie Thinker as a teacher I STILL owe almost $8,000 on my degrees. This wonderful $5,000 dollar raise you speak of is EARNED with hard work by most of us. I went to ASU they didn't give me anything I worked for it. Then once you fall in a new income bracket that amount becomes a lot less. Not to mention our salary is just that a salary that is stretched over 12 months so take off the blinders thinking we are getting paid summer vacations that is just money we already earned. We also pay our share of teacher retirement, insurance (dental, short term, medical), page or gae dues. My take home pay every month is $2000 less because of taxes being taken out on a lump monthly sum and my benefits. I have also had good bosses and bad bosses when I get a bad one I just grin and bear it if I like my school or I leave - you have the SAME option. Get another job!