Investigators back on job after fatal shooting

Three Richmond County narcotics investigators were back on regular duty Tuesday, Sheriff Ronnie Strength said.

The investigators -- Philip Hambrick, Jason Saal and Mike Swint -- went on desk duty in November when they were involved in the fatal shooting of drug suspect Michael Nestor, 30.

"I made contact yesterday with the GBI, and at this point they found nothing to indicate they shouldn't be back at work, so I put them to work," the sheriff said. "I don't have excessive manpower that I can have folks sitting around for a few months."

Sheriff Strength said the Georgia Bureau of Investigation is still conducting tests on evidence from the scene, but he had no indication they would find that anything was handled improperly.

The sheriff said Mr. Nestor was shot multiple times after he tried to strike one of the officers with his car.

Reach Adam Folk at (706) 823-3339 or adam.folk@augustachronicle.com.

wise
wise 01/13/10 - 06:42 am
How about the witnesses

How about the witnesses statements.. One witnesses said they heard shots before they heard the car start up. Another said they heard shoots before seeing the car back up. The Richmond County Good Ole Boys have done it again... Gotten by with Murder......

ds6987
ds6987 01/13/10 - 07:13 am
Whatever happened to the days

Whatever happened to the days of when a cop told you to "freeze " and no one moved? And I guess that the drug dealer should have been allowed to continue selling and "murdering " his junkies? Thanks to the RCSO for taking a strong stance against criminals.

wise
wise 01/13/10 - 07:32 am
Johnrockstone and ds6987 I

Johnrockstone and ds6987 I have no problem with Richmond county doing their job properly. But its been proven time and time again that they do not follow procedure. They do what every they want and appear to be above the law. So if you get stopped and you fit the description of a known drug dealer and you hear a noise you turn to look and they shoot you dead. I guess you deserved it because you were a drug dealer. Simple minds for once look outside of your box.

corgimom
corgimom 01/13/10 - 07:47 am
Wise's stupidity shines.

Wise's stupidity shines.

Edward1968
Edward1968 01/13/10 - 08:27 am
wise, I don't know

wise,
I don't know where you come off saying the RCSO believes themselves above the law. Like any other agency or group for that matter there will be bad apples from time-to-time. That DOES NOT mean they all are this way. You referenced two witness statements, how about the other witnesses? Do you know what they said? I agree with johnrockstone and corgimom, change your posting name.

themaninthemirror
themaninthemirror 01/13/10 - 08:48 am
It does not matter if the

It does not matter if the narcotics agents handcuffed this man and shot him multiple times, backed the car out of the driveway themselves, then put the drug dealer in the car. What matters is that one less thug is now unable to get back on the streets. This means that we are all safer, and most of all our children are safer. Way to go, RCSD, keep up the good work!

cojak
cojak 01/13/10 - 09:39 am
I am the officer. I have been

I am the officer. I have been where you fear to be. I have seen what you fear to see. I have done what you fear to do. All these things I have been for you. I am the person you lean upon. The one you cast your scorn upon. The one you bring your troubles to. All these people I have been for you. The one you ask to stand apart. The one you feel should have no heart. The one you call the officer in blue. But, I am a person just like you. And through the years I have come to see. I am not always what you ask of me. So take this badge, take this gun. Will you take it? Will anyone? When you watch a person die and a battered baby cry then do you think that you can be all these things you ask of me?

LancelotLink
LancelotLink 01/13/10 - 09:51 am
hey wise, care to share some

hey wise, care to share some of the documentation for this libelous statement? "But its been proven time and time again that they do not follow procedure."

corgimom
corgimom 01/13/10 - 10:24 am
I want to know about this

I want to know about this part too; "So if you get stopped and you fit the description of a known drug dealer and you hear a noise you turn to look and they shoot you dead"- who did that happen to?

corgimom
corgimom 01/13/10 - 10:26 am
Hey, wise (*snort*), smart

Hey, wise (*snort*), smart people know that when the police say "Police, Freeze!" that means DON"T MOVE because if you do, YOU WILL BE SHOT.

fishman960
fishman960 01/13/10 - 12:16 pm
**Nestor speaks from his

**Nestor speaks from his grave** " I didn't think they were talking to me"!

Asitisinaug
Asitisinaug 01/13/10 - 12:35 pm
Wise, your statement is not

Wise, your statement is not back by any facts whatsoever. These fine deputies were forced to take action as they are trained to do and did exactly that. We are all better off for them and appreciate their service.

butler123
butler123 01/13/10 - 03:22 pm
This guy was already in

This guy was already in trouble , but was still dealing. He would have never changed, only gotten worse, and only gotten around to selling his poison to someone you cared about.

Mwilli5009
Mwilli5009 01/13/10 - 06:15 pm
His child was born 8 days

His child was born 8 days later. He was going to turn himself in after her birth. I'm not going to rehash everything I said the day this event occurred, but there is much more involved than meets the eye. However, those who choose to see police officers officers as incapable of making mistakes or errors in judgment would never see another side of the story. What the Chronicle prints is fine by them.

corgimom
corgimom 01/13/10 - 06:43 pm
Mwilli, sure, after Santa and

Mwilli, sure, after Santa and the tooth fairy came, too.

Asitisinaug
Asitisinaug 01/13/10 - 08:50 pm
Police officers are human and

Police officers are human and certainly make mistakes. That being said, these officers responded to the actions of the suspect who made a conscious decision to ignore them even though he had personal knowledge they were officers and why they were there. As for friends of his making comments against the police and them doing their jobs, his true friends should have done more instead of enabling or looking the other way because we all now that drug dealers of any race, age or sex will eventually end up behind bars or dead. He knew he had a child coming for 8 months prior to this and still chose to continue selling drugs, carrying a guy, having video cameras to watch his house, etc. even though he was already on probation and had been given a 2nd chance at life. Don't try to destroy great officers who are putting their lives on the line to enforce laws the majority want enforced when it is the criminal who is 100% at fault for his actions. Had he simply followed the laws to begin with, or learned from his previous arrests, or turned himslef in when he KNEW he was wanted, or not tried to escape and injur officers arresting him, he would be alive - sorry those were HIS choices.

Mwilli5009
Mwilli5009 01/13/10 - 09:27 pm
Corgimom: Can't let it go can

Corgimom: Can't let it go can you? No matter. I had more people agreeing with me and ridiculing you last time this was discussed. Make your off-handed comments, That's all they are, Asitis: I was not a personal friend. I have no problem acknowledging a majority of the things you state are true. They were his choices. All of them. But, my points still stand: 1) Do we really believe that he knew they were there due to the undercover nature of the op, the black uniforms, and time of day? 2) Should we not fear a government that has the power to murder non-violent offenders at will? They should have let him go and tried again later. Bottom line.

helpicantfindthespacebar
helpicantfindthespacebar 01/14/10 - 12:35 am
Mwilli5009 a motor vehicle

Mwilli5009 a motor vehicle can be used in a violent manner as a weapon, so your depiction of the deceased as 'non-violent' is a load of crap. That drug dealer knew who they were and why they were there, and he was certainly not unfamiliar with being arrested. If LE had the power to 'murder' the human garbage they have to arrest daily the dead would be in the streets like speed-bumps. Letting someone who is willing to run over a LEO and trying to catch them later would be stupid and put the general public in danger. BOTTOM LINE.

Asitisinaug
Asitisinaug 01/14/10 - 12:35 am
Mwilli5009, although I am

Mwilli5009, although I am sure youmeal well, your bottom line is very far off. The bottom line is follow the laws as they are written and 99.9% of the time, you will not have any issues with law enforcement officers or other government officials of which we the people ask to protect us. 1) Yes, we REALLY do belive he knew they were police officers ordering him to stop as he PERSONALLY KNEW and had previous interactions with at least 2 of the officers and their jackets had SHERIFF in large bold 6" letters in Bright Yellow along with badges and guns. This non-violent offender was a repeat offender and in a previous search was armed with a handgun who refused to cooperate with the police and put them in harms way while trying to escape so yes, they responded to HIS actions as they were trained. Had they let him escape and he harmed an innocent civilian while driving away others (maybe even you) would then be blaming the police for failure to do their job. It is individuals with this type of logic that blame the police no matter what for simply doing their job instead of placing the blame where it belongs on the criminal. Bottom line, they responded appropriately to his actions.

joekm46
joekm46 01/14/10 - 07:48 am
Praises to the RCSO.. Protect

Praises to the RCSO.. Protect and serve! Times are tough from an economic standpoint these days, but making a living from drug dealing should never be an option.. I have watched families, marriages, and lives ruined and destroyed from drug addiction.. Myself included! I thank God for my sobriety from drugs and for placing the men and women of the Richmond County Sherriffs Department in place to enforce the law!! To :Ronnie Strength, a sincere thank-you!!!

Ex-SC Gov. Edwards dies

CHARLESTON, S.C. - James B. Edwards, South Carolina's first Republican governor since Reconstruction and later energy secretary for two years in the Reagan administration, has died.