Obama slow to grasp terrorism threat

A headline on the front page of the Jan. 3 edition of The Augusta Chronicle read: "Obama accuses al-Qaida in plot," then continues with the statement "President states bombing suspect trained in Yemen."

Brilliant! Nine days after an admitted terrorist-in-training burns off his trousers trying to immolate a plane full of people, al-Qaida boasts of involvement, and the man's own father has previously warned that his son is a fanatic, Obama finally gets it? I guess if he didn't spend so much time polishing his image and his Nobel medal, he might be quicker off the mark.

Wanting to have lasting peace is a lofty ambition, and one we all pray for. Having a president who wants to do it by oiling his way around the world making concessions to nefarious leaders isn't going to bring stability. It's going to make us more and more vulnerable, which is already obvious.

Obama must be a great fan of Winnie the Pooh, who said it best: "Don't underestimate the value of Doing Nothing, of just going along, listening to all the things you can't hear, and not bothering."

Molly C. Gray, Aiken, S.C.

GGpap
GGpap 01/07/10 - 03:43 am
Molly Gray, Rome wasn't built

Molly Gray, Rome wasn't built in a day and peace and stability in this world cannot---and NEVER will be FORCED in just a few days; or in the few short years an American President can serve in office. Non-violence, tolerance and compassion toward all men can work over time. Patience is a virtue, Ms. Gray; perhaps you could work on yours rather than attempting to stir up unrest among the rest of us. Suggestion: read a bit of the history of Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi. GGpap

HowieBoutneaux
HowieBoutneaux 01/07/10 - 04:00 am
GGpap, perhaps you should

GGpap, perhaps you should accept her opinion and not throw insults her way. Most of us happen to agree with her. What happened to your vow not to wake up in the middle of the night and type "stupid old man" stuff? (Your words if I recall correctly)

GGpap
GGpap 01/07/10 - 04:16 am
Howie, my bedtime is normally

Howie, my bedtime is normally around 6 or 7 A.M., after THAT I "may" write stupid old man stuff! By the way, you might try writing that "MANY of us happen to---" since you cannot possibly know that most of us agree with the writer. However, I would agree that many, if not most of the posters on these threads are so far right that they would agree with the devil if he/she were opposed to this president (a man I didn't vote for, by the way). GGpap

gaspringwater
gaspringwater 01/07/10 - 04:41 am
Ms. Gray, diplomacy, justice

Ms. Gray, diplomacy, justice and fairness will go a long way toward draining the hate from people attacking us for revenge. More wars and injustice in the Middle East has got us in a position where we're just embattled and plagued as the Israelis. We need to get smarter instead of just tougher. In the meantime, fly on neutral airlines, such as Swiss or Swedish. Nobody is attacking them for revenge.

Tigger_The_Tiger
Tigger_The_Tiger 01/07/10 - 04:48 am
GGpap....read a bit of

GGpap....read a bit of history of Neville Chamberlain.

Tigger_The_Tiger
Tigger_The_Tiger 01/07/10 - 04:49 am
I love how people like

I love how people like gaspringwater blame US for getting murdered by terrorists..........sheesh!

gaspringwater
gaspringwater 01/07/10 - 05:06 am
Tigger_The_Tiger - We've

Tigger_The_Tiger - We've tried sandpaper but are we smart enough to try velvet?

Tigger_The_Tiger
Tigger_The_Tiger 01/07/10 - 05:10 am
Sand paper has

Sand paper has worked..........Appeasement (ie velvet) has NEVER worked and has in fact been proven to be disastrous.......especially when it is your way of life that your enemy hates. It's not about being "smart" enough to use a proven failed method.

GGpap
GGpap 01/07/10 - 05:11 am
Tigger, the history of

Tigger, the history of Chamberlain's minimal efforts failed long ago; Gandhi's all-encompassing and superior efforts, which also required the acceptance and support of the masses is still in play in India today. GGpap

Tigger_The_Tiger
Tigger_The_Tiger 01/07/10 - 05:12 am
If being free and allowing

If being free and allowing women to live as equals is a reason to be murdered, I say kill the enemy! To hell with rubbing them with velvet.

Tigger_The_Tiger
Tigger_The_Tiger 01/07/10 - 05:13 am
Chamberlains efforts failed

Chamberlains efforts failed and we would all be speaking German if it hadn't been for the U.S. FIGHTING Germany.......not talking to them.

HowieBoutneaux
HowieBoutneaux 01/07/10 - 05:15 am
GGpap, I follow enough

GGpap, I follow enough polling data to correctly use the word "MOST" as I did. Have a blissful day.

HowieBoutneaux
HowieBoutneaux 01/07/10 - 05:17 am
If gasping is disagreeing

If gasping is disagreeing with you about any topic, you can rest assured you are on the right and correct path. He is our litmus paper to go with the velvet and sandpaper.

gaspringwater
gaspringwater 01/07/10 - 05:28 am
Tigger_The_Tiger - Neville

Tigger_The_Tiger - Neville Chamberlain was an honorable man who tried. And we need more peacemaker and less warmongers. Any fool can start a war and Dubya demonstrated that.

johnston.cliff
johnston.cliff 01/07/10 - 05:32 am
Following the most foolish of

Following the most foolish of leaders just to prove we're fence straddlers sounds like a silly approach. "I agree with Obama sometimes so I can't be a right winger". Not following a Marxist robot is just plain smart, no wings involved. It's painfully obvious that Obama is the exact same meat puppet that Carter was while in office. No political experience, no decision making abilities and very little real life knowledge. He does, however, read a fine teleprompter. An uninformed or misinformed public is easy to trick. It's hard to keep them tricked.

GGpap
GGpap 01/07/10 - 05:32 am
Tigger, you must know that

Tigger, you must know that Chamberlain had nothing to do with the US fighting Germany. They declared war on us after we declared war on Japan! And, Howie, polls are designed to reflect the goals (or biases) of the Pollster. If you believe the polls you are easily duped, sir. GGpap

gaspringwater
gaspringwater 01/07/10 - 05:40 am
Tigger_The_Tiger - Sounds

Tigger_The_Tiger - Sounds like you have Blackwater mentality. Shoot your way out of trouble. Something like a domestic violence partner - beat your way out of problems.

HowieBoutneaux
HowieBoutneaux 01/07/10 - 05:43 am
GGpap, I read the exact

GGpap, I read the exact wording of the questions too when folks are asked about their opinions on security and Obama's (PBUH) lack of understanding and commitment to it. If you want to keep your head tucked in your depends and pretend you are safe, that is your choice, sir.

1941
1941 01/07/10 - 05:45 am
What diffrence, would it have

What diffrence, would it have made, if he was on tv, one hour after the incident? You people would still have something to b---h about!!Have you ever heard of witing untill you have all of the facts?Also, he is not a ''cowboy", talk tough, and then still get it wrong!!!

HowieBoutneaux
HowieBoutneaux 01/07/10 - 05:49 am
gasping, that is what the

gasping, that is what the culture we are fighting understands and the only thing they respect. They have been trading silk, spices and camels for thousands of years before America came along. They can not be out negiotiated.

GGpap
GGpap 01/07/10 - 05:50 am
JC, I would say the same to

JC, I would say the same to you, "Rome wasn't built in a day." Of course, as you have proven over time, NOTHING matters to you other than taking pot shots at the left and cheap shots at the president ("He does, however, read a fine teleprompter.) At least he doesn't utter the Bushism faux pas' we've been so accustomed to in recent years! GGpap

HowieBoutneaux
HowieBoutneaux 01/07/10 - 05:51 am
1941, you and GGpap share a

1941, you and GGpap share a generation. Y'all "FDR was our last great president" folks ought to get together for a game of checkers.

HowieBoutneaux
HowieBoutneaux 01/07/10 - 05:52 am
I have much more admiration

I have much more admiration for a man that stumbles while delivering his heart felt honest opinion than a groomed lying talking head spewing pre-prepared propoganda distortions.

GGpap
GGpap 01/07/10 - 06:02 am
But, Howie, for thousands of

But, Howie, for thousands of years, while they were trading silks, spices and camels, America was not interfering with their commerce and their social and religious mores. Why not get the hell out and let then resume their thousand year traditions? No? Guess we gotta stay there and kill them all off because we don't like the smell of camel sh##! GGpap

johnston.cliff
johnston.cliff 01/07/10 - 06:08 am
GGap, I beg to differ with

GGap, I beg to differ with you. My teleprompter reading comment was sincere. The only award Obama has deserved was the grammy he earned for reading his book. I feel he can by-pass the Peter Principle and have a fine career as a reader of talking books or a narrator. I like his voice, I just don't like his philosophical views and the damage they cause.

HowieBoutneaux
HowieBoutneaux 01/07/10 - 06:10 am
It might help if you thought

It might help if you thought about us as liberators rather than unwelcomed invaders which is the reality of the situation for the majority of citizens in Iraq and Afghanistan. The ones we continue to fight were the oppressors who are unwilling to give up their power and intimidation of the average citizen there. I've been there, talked to the "man on the street" and know what they say.

GGpap
GGpap 01/07/10 - 06:10 am
P.S.: I won't respond to

P.S.: I won't respond to anymore of your juvenile B.S. on this thread, Howie. You're really not worthy of receiving any of my "generation's" observations. GGpap

HowieBoutneaux
HowieBoutneaux 01/07/10 - 06:12 am
I don't need your generation

I don't need your generation to tell me about that region today. I have first hand experience and expertise. I bet you were happy when Israel was created, huh?

ispy4u
ispy4u 01/07/10 - 06:32 am
HOWIE, who are " most of us"?

HOWIE, who are " most of us"? The people here in Augusta? Please. There were Terrorist prior to this President and they will be there after he leave office. Your Attempt and Gray's attempt at attacking this President will only be received in the already established anti-Obama circle.

HowieBoutneaux
HowieBoutneaux 01/07/10 - 06:39 am
ispy, Another pathetically

ispy, Another pathetically ineffective deflection attempt. We are not talking about when terrorism originated or when it might end. We are talking about how Obama (PBUH) is failing, or has already totally failed, every test or international challenge he has been faced with.

Sickness closes all McDuffie County schools

One day after closing an elementary because of excessive absences caused by an outbreak of influenza, strep infection and stomach viruses, the McDuffie County School System has decided to enact an ...