Seven speeders already face extra $200 fine

They might not know it yet, but seven drivers caught going too fast on Augusta-area roads will soon be receiving a $200 fine in the mail as part of Georgia's new "super speeder" law.

So far, authorities said, they have issued six citations in Richmond County and one in Columbia County that meet the criteria for the new law, which went into effect Jan. 1.

Anyone caught traveling 85 mph on four-lane roads and interstate highways or 75 mph on two-lane roads will face a $200 state fine on top of the local jurisdiction's speeding fine.

In Richmond County, sheriff's Maj. Richard Weaver said deputies handed out tickets for people doing 85 mph on Interstate 20, 87 mph on Bobby Jones Expressway and 80 mph on Deans Bridge Road. They also ticketed two people for doing 75 mph on Washington Road.

One person was also cited on Washington Road by the Georgia State Patrol for going 76 mph.

Columbia County sheriff's Capt. Steve Morris said his office had cited one person for going 102 mph on I-20 on Saturday.

The state Legislature approved the measure last year as a way to help fund the state's struggling trauma centers.

The fines are expected to bring in about $23 million a year, but the money will be funneled through the state's general fund, meaning lawmakers will decide how it is spent.

The death rate in Georgia from traumatic injuries is far greater than the national rate, according to a 2007 legislative committee study. The state's trauma centers are facing a deficit of more than $170 million caused by uncompensated care they provide each year -- largely to uninsured victims.

The law's opponents have labeled it a back-door tax increase on Georgians.

It was blasted by Emanuel County Sheriff Tyson Stephens as a tax targeting the poorest people in the state and has also been criticized by Libertarian talk-radio host Neil Boortz.

Maj. Weaver said that it's too early to gauge the effect of the law locally but that he expects it to have an impact.

"If it was me, and I knew that driving at those kinds of speeds were going to cost me an additional $200 on top of what the fine is, that would make me slow down," he said.

Associated Press reports were used in this article.

Reach Adam Folk at (706) 823-3339 or adam.folk@augustachronicle.com.

happychimer
happychimer 01/06/10 - 08:59 pm
Tigger I don't know. I know a

Tigger I don't know. I know a picture is taken of the driver too, so maybe they have a way for the owner to report the driver. You will have to ask the state of California. My sister-in-law said it works good.

Tigger_The_Tiger
Tigger_The_Tiger 01/06/10 - 09:02 pm
Again.....it's

Again.....it's unconstitutional to charge someone with a crime that someone else committed........and what happened to "innocent until proven guilty?"

happychimer
happychimer 01/06/10 - 09:13 pm
Well they can go to court and

Well they can go to court and plead not guilty, but if the prosecution has a picture of that perso running a red light or speeding, then it would be hard to prove not guilty.

Tigger_The_Tiger
Tigger_The_Tiger 01/06/10 - 09:19 pm
And when they have a picture

And when they have a picture of a person in a hat and sunglasses...then what? And unless I woke up in Russia this morning you don't have to prove Not Guilty...the prosecutor has to prove Guilty.........which a low quality of a person through a glaring windshield, doesn't quite do.

Tigger_The_Tiger
Tigger_The_Tiger 01/06/10 - 09:21 pm
And for the record,

And for the record, California is not a good example of heeding people's constitutional rights.....just try to exercise your 2nd amendment rights there and see what happens.

kulay294
kulay294 01/06/10 - 10:52 pm
Cobalt, give them time. When

Cobalt, give them time. When blacks have a larger % of the speeding tickets then it WILL be a race issue. You know the 'ol "you stopped me because I'm black" thing will come up before to much longer.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 01/06/10 - 11:10 pm
"Seven speeders already face

"Seven speeders already face extra $200 fine" Only 7 in 5 days, Heck, If I was a police officer I could have the 7 in the first hour of the first day on I-20 between 0700 to 8 AM.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 01/06/10 - 11:14 pm
You know how simple it is.

You know how simple it is. Sit on the Grovetown exit during this time with a radar gun and the first group of cars that are tailgating a lead car at 85 or 90. Take off and pull them all over and write your 7 tickets.

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 01/06/10 - 11:15 pm
I see no prblem with a camera

I see no prblem with a camera taggin the car instead of the driver, don't let people borrow your car, or turn them over when you get the ticket or sue them to be reimbersed. You should be responsible for your car and who drives it. Just like these morons who let unlicensed drivers drive their vehicles then they wreck and insurance won't pay they think they aren't responsible because they didn't know the person had no license and didn't bother to check. Tooooo bad, still gotta pay, you shouldn't have been so free and careless with a dangerous instrument. If a car is involved in a hit and run, the owner is responsible no matter what unless the car was stolen, same goes for parking tickets, why should speed cameras be any different?

HollyHoly
HollyHoly 01/06/10 - 11:23 pm
Cobalt, you ARE an idiot. To

Cobalt, you ARE an idiot. To say rich people with nice cars don't speed as bad. Moron.

HollyHoly
HollyHoly 01/06/10 - 11:24 pm
Well Colbalt, become an idiot

Well Colbalt, become an idiot police officer then.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 01/06/10 - 11:25 pm
Takes one to know one!

Takes one to know one!

HollyHoly
HollyHoly 01/06/10 - 11:26 pm
I can NOT even believe the AC

I can NOT even believe the AC is not deleting these racists post by colbalt and kulay, and others on here!

HollyHoly
HollyHoly 01/06/10 - 11:27 pm
Get lost Cobalt.

Get lost Cobalt.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 01/06/10 - 11:27 pm
So police officers are

So police officers are idiots. That is a great way to feel.

Roeschen
Roeschen 01/06/10 - 11:28 pm
I know cameras work great in

I know cameras work great in other parts of the world. Why not here? They are expensive but pay for themselves in a short period of time. Also, everyone who is speeding gets ticketed, no racial profiling. And, leaves deputies free to be elsewhere.

HollyHoly
HollyHoly 01/06/10 - 11:28 pm
pos

pos

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 01/06/10 - 11:32 pm
HolyHolly, give me one reason

HolyHolly, give me one reason the AC would remove my post. I have not posted one thing that isn't documented Facts. Not like you by just saying someone is racists. You don't know me and I am far from racist. I know, you don't like me mentioning the president as a so called president. Right?

HollyHoly
HollyHoly 01/06/10 - 11:39 pm
So saying 80 percent of folks

So saying 80 percent of folks getting speeding tickets are black, you don't think is a racist remark?? That's absurd. And the stupid post about rich people having 'more respect' for the road. Seriously, think real hard about those post...you're not the sharpest tool in the shed dude.

HollyHoly
HollyHoly 01/06/10 - 11:43 pm
black people push you out of

black people push you out of the way, 85 percent black people are speeders...rich people have respect for the road.....oh boy.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 01/06/10 - 11:47 pm
Re-read my11:18 AM post, I

Re-read my11:18 AM post, I stated a fact. Would you like to ride with me one morning and you do the counting.

brianw
brianw 01/07/10 - 05:20 am
I travel on Bobby Jones

I travel on Bobby Jones (Eastbound) every morning around 6Am. I tell you, truthfully, I generally drive near 60 MPH (no more than 65). At 60 - 65MPH one will come close to being run over and the offenders are not one race or the other. Its alot of both. Yet, there is never a cop to be found. If cops were to spread out (one or two at regular intervals) between Wrightsboro Road and the Mike Padgett Highway exit they would generate much revenue.

HowieBoutneaux
HowieBoutneaux 01/07/10 - 05:37 am
Many municipalities across

Many municipalities across the US are removing their traffic cameras due to the relatively low conviction rate and the expense of trying all the cases. It's been tried and is deeply flawed.

1941
1941 01/07/10 - 06:37 am
What happens if they don;t

What happens if they don;t pay? Take thier licenses? They will still drive! Take thier tags? They will steal one! Put them in jail? They have to feed them! Please keep us updated!!!

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 01/07/10 - 08:31 am
I think this tax (or revenue)

I think this tax (or revenue) is the best thing that has come down the pike, I believe it should be raised to $500.00. The question is, will it be enforced. Only 7 in 5 days could be the indication it is not just like the laws of handicap parking, use of mobile phones, seatbelts usage, ect. To make laws work, enforce them and don't worry about the back lash.

Search of alleged dealer's home found drugs, firearms