Seven speeders already face extra $200 fine

They might not know it yet, but seven drivers caught going too fast on Augusta-area roads will soon be receiving a $200 fine in the mail as part of Georgia's new "super speeder" law.

So far, authorities said, they have issued six citations in Richmond County and one in Columbia County that meet the criteria for the new law, which went into effect Jan. 1.

Anyone caught traveling 85 mph on four-lane roads and interstate highways or 75 mph on two-lane roads will face a $200 state fine on top of the local jurisdiction's speeding fine.

In Richmond County, sheriff's Maj. Richard Weaver said deputies handed out tickets for people doing 85 mph on Interstate 20, 87 mph on Bobby Jones Expressway and 80 mph on Deans Bridge Road. They also ticketed two people for doing 75 mph on Washington Road.

One person was also cited on Washington Road by the Georgia State Patrol for going 76 mph.

Columbia County sheriff's Capt. Steve Morris said his office had cited one person for going 102 mph on I-20 on Saturday.

The state Legislature approved the measure last year as a way to help fund the state's struggling trauma centers.

The fines are expected to bring in about $23 million a year, but the money will be funneled through the state's general fund, meaning lawmakers will decide how it is spent.

The death rate in Georgia from traumatic injuries is far greater than the national rate, according to a 2007 legislative committee study. The state's trauma centers are facing a deficit of more than $170 million caused by uncompensated care they provide each year -- largely to uninsured victims.

The law's opponents have labeled it a back-door tax increase on Georgians.

It was blasted by Emanuel County Sheriff Tyson Stephens as a tax targeting the poorest people in the state and has also been criticized by Libertarian talk-radio host Neil Boortz.

Maj. Weaver said that it's too early to gauge the effect of the law locally but that he expects it to have an impact.

"If it was me, and I knew that driving at those kinds of speeds were going to cost me an additional $200 on top of what the fine is, that would make me slow down," he said.

Associated Press reports were used in this article.

Reach Adam Folk at (706) 823-3339 or adam.folk@augustachronicle.com.

happychimer
happychimer 01/06/10 - 11:47 am
Same thing. Repubs are too

Same thing. Repubs are too stupid to understand that if you obey the law you won't get in trouble.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 01/06/10 - 11:53 am
Just a thought, If a survey

Just a thought, If a survey was taken on how many of the seven that were caught were Dem or Rep.

ICSunshine
ICSunshine 01/06/10 - 11:57 am
CG, I'd like to see that too

CG, I'd like to see that too with a few more demographics included.......

ICSunshine
ICSunshine 01/06/10 - 12:07 pm
plumb, when you got out to

plumb, when you got out to the bar for lunch today, please take your cellphone along so you can alert the proper authorities to drunks leaving and speeding away.....

happychimer
happychimer 01/06/10 - 12:07 pm
You could also ask how many

You could also ask how many were men or women.Do they prefer chicken or beef. Do they like winter or summer. Do they like animals. Do they watch tv or listen to music more. It does not matter who they are or what their likes and dislikes are. If they speed, they know they can get a ticket.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 01/06/10 - 12:15 pm
Your right, plum. The only

Your right, plum. The only trouble will be in an upcoming article which will state that the officers are accused of profiling.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 01/06/10 - 12:18 pm
I know you will brand me a

I know you will brand me a racist when I post this, but I really don't give a dam. Of the 100 plus cars that push me out of the fast lane at 76 each day, 85% are black. Sorry that are the facts.

themaninthemirror
themaninthemirror 01/06/10 - 12:19 pm
Well, would you have rather

Well, would you have rather our wonderful lameduck governor propose a tax that we would all have to pay, as opposed to a tax on people who break the law? I for one think it is a great law. No it was not designed to curb speeding, just like seat belt laws were not designed to protect pedestrians. It was designed with one thing in mind, to increase state revenue.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 01/06/10 - 12:21 pm
So I will say it before it

So I will say it before it comes up, if the law enforcement offficers do their job, 85% will be black that are ticketed.

butler123
butler123 01/06/10 - 12:25 pm
I think it is a really good

I think it is a really good thing. Everyone speeds a little every now and then just from not paying attention. Sometimes you get caught and at least for awhile goes a long way toward making motorists pay more attention. If you are going 20 mph over you are intentionally speeding and your fine should be higher.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 01/06/10 - 12:26 pm
This is one tax (so claimed)

This is one tax (so claimed) that I fully agree on!

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 01/06/10 - 12:31 pm
One good thing about this

One good thing about this tax, I will not be paying it and never have in the past.

bigclaude
bigclaude 01/06/10 - 12:53 pm
CG. I am a McDuffie county

CG. I am a McDuffie county resident and my car must be beyond ragged out by your standards since it is older than the ragged out range of (1997-2005) that you posted.

2005 is a four to five year old car at this point. That is what you consider "ragged out?" And to think that you singled out my fair county in that post.

Well on behalf of all McDuffie county citizens: Please forgive us for being too poor to drive anything other than "ragged out" cars. I make that drive every day too. Maybe I will see you in the morning and you can choke on some exhaust fumes from my "ragged out" 1991 model.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 01/06/10 - 12:57 pm
I will be doing 76, make sure

I will be doing 76, make sure your 1991 model is doing at lease 86. I will let you pass!!

bigclaude
bigclaude 01/06/10 - 01:52 pm
Well I will be lucky to go

Well I will be lucky to go that fast without pieces of my car flying off of it.

CarlA
CarlA 01/06/10 - 02:17 pm
There is a sheriff's

There is a sheriff's substation not far from my house in Daniel Village. Heaven forbid you are crossing the street when its time for the officer's shift change. The rate of speed in which the deputies fly down Central is unbelievable!

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 01/06/10 - 02:43 pm
If you report what you think

If you report what you think is a violation by a deputy to the RCSO with the car number, time and place. I feel your report will be handled in a closed back door matter. Repeated reports on the same deputy will eliminate any future violations. Your complaints on this blog will go nowhere.

jamesmonty
jamesmonty 01/06/10 - 02:45 pm
A fine for speeding is not a

A fine for speeding is not a tax. This new law is directed at people on the interstates. And a lot of them will be people from out of state. That, IMO, is what this law was meant for. 75 MPH on 2-lane highways. That means on Peach Orchard from South Augusta to downtown a person has to be going 30 MPH over the speed limit to get the "super" fine and a person on a portion of interstate that is posted at 70 MPH would only have to go 15 MPH over the posted speed to get the "super" fine. To me going 75 MPH in a 45 MPH posted speed limit is outright dangerous and should be jail time, heavy fine and loss of license.

ispy4u
ispy4u 01/06/10 - 05:45 pm
If you cannot tell by that

If you cannot tell by that this guy COBALT is an idiot. Who in the hell does a survey on what race of people are speeding? I guess we can just say that little old White ladies are the ones holding up traffic. Leave it to an imbecile to make speeding a racist issue.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 01/06/10 - 06:11 pm
ispy4u, All I am trying to

ispy4u, All I am trying to say is, It will be as time goes by. It has in the past on the same issue.

Roeschen
Roeschen 01/06/10 - 06:59 pm
Personally, I think cameras

Personally, I think cameras should be installed. Then the deputies could be elsewhere solving crimes and the speeders, or owners of the cars speeding down roads, would have to pay the fine. Seems to work great in the Phoenix, AZ area and in many other areas across this country and in Europe. Anybody flying 102 mph on any road needs to go to jail.

RoadKing09
RoadKing09 01/06/10 - 07:14 pm
If it was about speed &

If it was about speed & safety The Law would make auto makers restrict auto form going over 70. It's about revenue. case closed.

Discussionstarter
Discussionstarter 01/06/10 - 07:42 pm
This new law is great. I

This new law is great. I just wish the fine was higher.... $500. Now if someone would just come out to West Lake and slow down the traffic in our neighborhood.

happychimer
happychimer 01/06/10 - 08:25 pm
Cameras in LA take pictures

Cameras in LA take pictures of speeders and the vehicle. The driver gets a ticket in the mail.Also in school zones when the lights are flashing, speeders fine is $100 for each mile over the speed limit.

Tigger_The_Tiger
Tigger_The_Tiger 01/06/10 - 08:29 pm
The problem with cameras is

The problem with cameras is that it tags speeding with the car, not the driver. And road king....regardless of the motive for the law....it's easy to avoid the ticket.......just obey the law.

Tigger_The_Tiger
Tigger_The_Tiger 01/06/10 - 08:30 pm
plum...the owner of the car

plum...the owner of the car gets a ticket....not necessarily the driver.

Seashells
Seashells 01/06/10 - 08:31 pm
I wished I had my 1997 car

I wished I had my 1997 car back.....a nice TBird that got totalled by a drunk driver on Christmas 2005. I was sitting at a red light and the damn drunk plowed right into my rear end. He was going waaaaaay too fast. It only had 72,000 miles on it and was not ragged out.

happychimer
happychimer 01/06/10 - 08:39 pm
Yes the driver gets the

Yes the driver gets the ticket. So I guess they have to be careful about loaning their vehicles. The cameras also catch those running red lights.

Tigger_The_Tiger
Tigger_The_Tiger 01/06/10 - 08:41 pm
Plum...what if someone other

Plum...what if someone other than the owner is driving the car? All my cars are in my name......so my wife won't get any tickets....I get them all. How is that right?

Tigger_The_Tiger
Tigger_The_Tiger 01/06/10 - 08:48 pm
It is unconstitutional to

It is unconstitutional to charge someone with a crime that someone else committed.

SRS shipments halted until 2016

Savannah River Site can't resume shipments of Cold War nuclear waste materials to an underground repository in New Mexico until at least 2016 when the federal government reopens the facility to ...