Young adults honored at ball

Six young adults were honored Monday by The Augusta Assembly at its annual winter ball at the Augusta Country Club.

The assembly is a social organization that was founded in 1952. It recognizes honored guests who are proposed by its members each year.

This year's honored guests were:

- Carter Burdell Boardman, presented by her parents, Mrs. Catherine Blanchard Boardman and Mr. Clayton Pierce Boardman III. She was escorted by Mr. John Henry Klopp.

- Raymond Bruce Brady Jr., presented by his grandparents Mr. and Mrs. William Francis Toole. He is the son of Mr. and Mrs. Raymond Bruce Brady and escorted Miss Grace Battey Elliott and was accompanied by Mrs. Toole.

- Miss Grace Battey Elliott, presented by her grandparents Mr. and Mrs. William Francis Toole. Grace is the daughter of the Honorable and Mrs. Hoyt Massey Elliott Jr., and was escorted by Mr. Raymond Bruce Brady Jr.

- Mr. Robert Gould Bush Long, presented by his uncle and aunt Mr. and Mrs. John Bush Long. He is the son of Dr. Eugene Mitchell Long Jr. and Mrs. Elizabeth Bryans Long, and escorted Miss Catherine Ware Stebbins and was accompanied by Mrs. John Bush Long.

- Miss Virginia Marie Taylor, presented by her grandmother Mrs. William Glascock Bush. She is the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Douglas Dryer Taylor and was escorted by Barrett Isaiah Bush and accompanied by Mr. John Bush Long.

- Miss Marianna Dixon Williams, presented by her parents, Mr. and Mrs. John Dickey Boardman Jr. She was escorted by Mr. Ivan James Stoganov.

DowntownJaguar
DowntownJaguar 01/03/10 - 09:10 am
For what were they honored?

For what were they honored?

momma mia
momma mia 01/03/10 - 12:45 pm
Being rich kids,

Being rich kids, DowntownJaguar.

DowntownJaguar
DowntownJaguar 01/03/10 - 01:43 pm
LOL--dang momma, I was just

LOL--dang momma, I was just asking--not trying to be nasty. I am guessing this is similar to the "cotillion."

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 01/03/10 - 04:47 pm
They're being honored for

They're being honored for being outstanding young people, who not only have already accomplished something in their short lives but are on-course for making a difference in the greater scheme of things. Go back and do a search on some of their names why don't you, Momma, instead of just spouting your snarky venom. Why don't you try to produce a star student yourself, Momma? Think you've got what it takes to guide a human being into being the kind person that is any of these six? Unlikely. If it weren't for people like these, Augusta would be just like Sardis, or some other dried up little community, or like a smaller version of Detroit, being cannibalized by ignorant, violent, dependent criminals. We live in an advanced, humane civilization because of people like these, but I'm not sure that the blinders of your self-destructive class envy allow you to see anything so clear and simple.

justthefacts
justthefacts 01/03/10 - 04:52 pm
Good job Fiat.

Good job Fiat.

DowntownJaguar
DowntownJaguar 01/03/10 - 05:07 pm
Fiat_Lux--please do not have

Fiat_Lux--please do not have a stroke. The article was very vague. I am sure these young people are well deserving and achieved every thing without help from anyone.

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 01/03/10 - 05:25 pm
No stroke in the offing, DTJ,

No stroke in the offing, DTJ, and no, these kids didn't achieve everything on their own. They had a lot of people in their lives inspiring, leading, teaching, correcting, supporting and cheering them. The difference is that they took advantage of their opportunities instead of spitting on them and being too cool to excel.

DowntownJaguar
DowntownJaguar 01/03/10 - 05:34 pm
Fiat_Lux, I still contend the

Fiat_Lux, I still contend the article is vague. I do know people who have achieved without the opportunities you mentioned. I hope they are successful and give back to this community--we desperately need it. I do disagree with your notion that this type of thing is what makes Augusta better than places like Sardis--this seems very narrow minded. Who gives a crap who someone's "daddy" is? This is 2010--why can't we move past this and focus on who the individual is? And no, I didn't need to Google the names because I have lived here all my life. The amount of inter-marrying in this town is concerning at times--just sayin'.

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 01/03/10 - 05:44 pm
Whatever.

Whatever.

DowntownJaguar
DowntownJaguar 01/03/10 - 05:45 pm
I am glad you agree ;).

I am glad you agree ;).

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 01/03/10 - 05:55 pm
Think what you want and I'll

Think what you want and I'll do the same. Don't confuse that with agreement.

DowntownJaguar
DowntownJaguar 01/03/10 - 06:01 pm
No problem--it is obvious a

No problem--it is obvious a nerve was struck--nothing like the feeling of "entitlement."

justthefacts
justthefacts 01/03/10 - 06:41 pm
Somebody is looking a little

Somebody is looking a little "green".

DowntownJaguar
DowntownJaguar 01/03/10 - 07:11 pm
LOL--keep skirting around the

LOL--keep skirting around the truth--you know I'm right.

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 01/03/10 - 07:29 pm
Not really a nerve either,

Not really a nerve either, DTJ. Just sick of people like Momma taking pot shots at decent, kind, civilized people like these kids, people who are forces for good instead of social drains, especially when it comes from envy and without any personal knowledge. What I know about you is that you like to speculate about people's motives and somehow have the impression that you possess superior insight. And, BTW, there really is such a things as being entitled to recognition and respect, whether you agree or not. The word wasn't always used with sarcasm or applied to losers.

corgimom
corgimom 01/03/10 - 08:59 pm
They are outstanding young

They are outstanding young people? I thought they were just kids attending a party. It's a social club, not an awards ceremony.

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 01/03/10 - 09:10 pm
Way to go corgi. On the

Way to go corgi. On the money.

FallingLeaves
FallingLeaves 01/03/10 - 10:47 pm
I somewhat agree with

I somewhat agree with corgimom on this one. I always wondered what they meant exactly by "honored". Is there something specific they have been honored for? Or is being "honored" in this way just an unearned perk that comes along with privilege?