Residents can track sex offenders online

Ronnie Levon White was released from Johnson State Prison in Wrightsville, Ga., on Nov. 27, but in less than a month he was back behind bars.

Richmond County deputies arrested him Dec. 18 on East Chapman Street after he did not register as a sex offender with the sheriff's office -- the same charge that landed him a three-year term in 2007.

Nearly every week, sex offenders fall off the police radar. Most are found quickly. However, there are still more than 400 male and female rapists, child molesters and other sex offenders in Georgia that authorities can't locate.

The sheriff's office is hoping a new Web site, which went online Wednesday, will make keeping tabs on them easier by letting the public track sex offenders in their neighborhoods.

Residents can enter their information -- name, address and e-mail -- and receive regular updates on the registered sex offenders living in their neighborhoods, according to Mike Blanchard, the assistant director of the Richmond County Information Technology Department. They can also type in the name of an offender and receive e-mail alerts if the person moves or is arrested, he said.

The site allows law enforcement to share information on offenders with other departments nationwide that use the offender watch program.

Under state law, those convicted of a crime against a minor or any dangerous sexual offense must register with their local law enforcement once a year. At least 72 hours before their birthday, offenders in Richmond County must visit with authorities to update their photo, address, fingerprints and other information. If they don't, offenders face felony charges and a 10- to 30-year prison term.

"They don't see that what they are doing is wrong," said Investigator Charles Mulherin, who is tasked with keeping tabs on the 240 active offenders in Richmond County. He said many offenders don't want to be found, while others might miss a deadline but register later.

In Richmond County, there are four offenders who have been missing for a year or more, according to the Georgia Bureau of Investigation's Sex Offender Registry.

Reach Adam Folk at (706) 823-3339 or adam.folk@augustachronicle.com.

Sex offender registries

- OffenderWatch and the Online Inmate Inquiry can be accessed by going to www.augustaga.gov and clicking on "Sheriff" under "Departments."

- The GBI's Sex Offender Registry can be found by going to www.gbi.georgia.gov and clicking "Services."

johnston.cliff
johnston.cliff 01/02/10 - 06:10 am
While I consider child abuse

While I consider child abuse one of the most horrendous crimes, the Georgia law is unclear as to what is a "crime against minors" or "any dangerous sexual offense". The obvious offenders aren't in question, but the 18 year old dating a 17 year old is often in the mix of "sexual offender". Consensual homosexual relationships between a 17 year old and a 25 year old is called a statutory offense and is often in the mix. As long as the law releases sex offenders, I'm all for the registry, but I'd sure like to see a little better definition of what is and isn't a sexual offense.

rbk
rbk 01/02/10 - 07:07 am
I'm in total agreement with

I'm in total agreement with you, johnston.cliff. And 13 - 17 year old females often look older and lie about their age and pass themselves off as 18 year olds or older. This should be taken into account when prosecuting the male for consensual relationships. Often times the female is as guilty or more guilty than the male.

saltine
saltine 01/02/10 - 08:06 am
I would like to know,when did

I would like to know,when did they STOP inforcing the 1000 feet bus stop rule???? Does any one have that information????

disssman
disssman 01/02/10 - 08:57 am
I agree with J.C and would

I agree with J.C and would like saltine to tell me where he has seen a posted BUSSTOP. Last I looked the DA## busses stop at every house in a neighborhood. If we are going to have a law concerning bus stops, then make sure it is clear that busses can't stop anywhere except at a posted bus stop. Sure would make my driving time way shorter.

Notreally
Notreally 01/02/10 - 09:42 am
Dont't tell me the chronicle

Dont't tell me the chronicle just found out about this and is only now doing a story on it, this has BEEN out. How behind in time this paper is oh but wait they seem to be up to date on the daily HATE for Obama.

ICSunshine
ICSunshine 01/02/10 - 09:47 am
Nowhere in the story did it

Nowhere in the story did it say "The Augusta Chronicle learned today that.....". I'd politely suggest you do an archive search before you show any more of your hiney.

bushwhacker
bushwhacker 01/02/10 - 09:56 am
Concerned your statement "I'm

Concerned your statement "I'm in total agreement with you, johnston.cliff. And 13 - 17 year old females often look older and lie about their age and pass themselves off as 18 year olds or older." Seems you and cliff should ask for I.D's if you're trolling for younger girls , then you wouldn't have to worry about the laws.

saltine
saltine 01/02/10 - 10:06 am
Ok,I get the bus stop

Ok,I get the bus stop "thing", but what law is still there to protect our nieghborhood and children, if a child molester moves into it.I feel now that our children are at more of a risk ,than before.They can just move in anywhere around any one.and any where

willienelson
willienelson 01/02/10 - 10:54 am
Wait a minute guys. Isn't

Wait a minute guys. Isn't this still the great state og Georgia??? Why can't we just put the age of consent back to 13 like it was 15 years ago and this won't be a problem. This would certainly help with over crowded prisons and most 13 year olds know everything any how.

sliique
sliique 01/02/10 - 11:38 am
But....WHAT'S the applivable

But....WHAT'S the applivable URL???????

ispy4u
ispy4u 01/02/10 - 02:30 pm
JOHNSTON, would know about

JOHNSTON, would know about the statue on homosexual offense. I guess it is from studying with SMARTIE and ICSUNSHINE. Not that there is anything wrong. I guess you can see sunshine when you exit the closet.

ICSunshine
ICSunshine 01/02/10 - 02:39 pm
ispy, I see your post. Coming

ispy, I see your post. Coming from a ROAD (retired on active duty) spook it's not worth a response. I just didn't want you to think I was hiding from the boogey man.

fishman960
fishman960 01/02/10 - 03:39 pm
This, along with the inmate

This, along with the inmate inquiry are very useful tools that the city has done for us.

KSL
KSL 01/02/10 - 04:04 pm
SOIssues, it would be

SOIssues, it would be infinitely more helpful if the list was limited to the truly dangerous and predatory.

corgimom
corgimom 01/02/10 - 04:37 pm
SOIssues, sorry, I don't

SOIssues, sorry, I don't agree with you. The sex offenders DO reoffend. There is no cure for their sickness and evil. Sure hope that your family never meets up with one of your 95% "won't reoffend" sex offenders. Because with the terrible conviction rates of sex offenses, the convicted ones just represent a very minute portion of how many there really are. How nice that you want all the RSO's to contact you.

fishman960
fishman960 01/02/10 - 04:51 pm
It's on! In this

It's on! In this corner.........

iknowitwheniseeit
iknowitwheniseeit 01/02/10 - 05:11 pm
SOIssues - You're playing

SOIssues - You're playing with the numbers. Many sex offenders are not caught. Stats in WA state produced by the Task Force on Community Protection found that the average predatory offender committed 34 offenses for every conviction. There may be some low end crimes on registries but many are REDUCED charges to eliminate trials and many sex cases never are charged that way due to lack of evidence.

iknowitwheniseeit
iknowitwheniseeit 01/02/10 - 05:11 pm
SOIssues - You're playing

iknowitwheniseeit
iknowitwheniseeit 01/02/10 - 05:15 pm
sorry about the dup post -

sorry about the dup post - bad connection... Further more, WA state established civil commitment procedure to put the most dangerous offenders in prison until they complete counselling and guess what? Most refuse and won't acknowledge the fact they are committing a crime. The real problem with registration is that there is no National database. Offenders move from state to state and drop off the system in many cases.

iknowitwheniseeit
iknowitwheniseeit 01/02/10 - 05:19 pm
And by the way - your Adams

And by the way - your Adams county reference looks like a typo. It could also be population based - Ritzville & Othello Wa and 1 light towns - the county population is 6K. Not exactly statistically relevant.

corgimom
corgimom 01/02/10 - 07:20 pm
Saltine, there is NOTHING to

Saltine, there is NOTHING to protect you if a sex offender moves into your neighborhood. And if you think that you are safe because the registry doesn't show anyone near you- those are just the ones that are known and convicted and are registered. There are sex offenders in your neighborhood now, in all likelihood. And it's been like that for hundreds of years.
And SOIssues, you are living in Dream World if you think that every time a sex offender offends, they are caught and sent to prison. They don't stop offending, they just get better at not being caught. How naive of you to think that sex offenders offend just once, or that every sexual offense is reported or leads to conviction. Would you like to talk about the number of sex offenders who are arrested versus the ones who are convicted? Would you like to talk about what the conviction rate of 1st degree rape is? " Factoring in unreported rapes, about 5% - one out of twenty - of rapists will ever spend a day in jail. 19 out of 20 will walk free. (Probability statistics based on US Department of Justice Statistics) " I cannot fathom anyone who would defend sexual offenders. I agree, you do have issues, all right.

saltine
saltine 01/02/10 - 07:50 pm
I was notified by :"family

I was notified by :"family watch dog" that this child molester was coming to my neighborhood,the day BEFORE he got released (12/26/2009)from prison.If not for them ,no one would have been aware of his being here.He has moved into a house with his sister and next door to a family with two children.Why didn't the county warn any one????Now what do we do ,to get him out???I have my own solutation,but I WILL go to jail if I carry through with it.The county did tell me,"quote: "He has rights ,too".Can you beleive that sh#@??? What a world!!!!!!

corgimom
corgimom 01/02/10 - 08:02 pm
You can't get them out. He

You can't get them out. He has served his sentence. We have one like that in my neighborhood, too. The house next to him has been empty for 2 years. No one will even look at it because the real estate agent has to disclose. And there isn't anywhere to go to get away from them unless you want to live next to a school. If your neighborhood is anything like mine, the whole family will be shunned and no one will set foot on the property. Forbid your children to go anywhere near that place. Show them the house. Tell them when you are calm, and tell them "A person lives here that likes to hurt kids, stay away from this house. Do not go to this house for any reason." Remind them again before Halloween and during school vacations. All the neighbors will watch him like a hawk, believe me.

fishman960
fishman960 01/02/10 - 08:19 pm
I would like to go on record

I would like to go on record and state that to me, although child sexual predators are felons. they do not fall into the same category as 'felon' to me. To me, they should be chemically castrated and have a lobotomy performed, for starters. I defend NO child abuser!

mieshel
mieshel 01/02/10 - 09:16 pm
I agree with johnston. Some

I agree with johnston. Some young men lives are ruined because young girls, trying to be grown putting themselves in situations. The decision to prosecute lies with her parents and due to embarrassment, they go forward with it. Next few months their precious little darling will be out strolling around again. The young man will be scarred for life.

corgimom
corgimom 01/02/10 - 09:58 pm
AC, 9/22/2004-Ronnie Levon

AC, 9/22/2004-Ronnie Levon White, 19, of the 2500 block of Sheridan Drive, sexual battery; two years in prison, followed by three years' probation, fined $1,000 and ordered to pay restitution and $500 in attorney fees and comply with sex offender conditions of probation. Restitution? Assault and battery? Does that sound like a teenage love affair? When restitution is ordered and there's no property involved, that means someone was hurt. I just wonder how scarred his victim is- I bet the victim is scarred for life too.

corgimom
corgimom 01/02/10 - 10:02 pm
So, SOIssues, care to share

So, SOIssues, care to share with us what you were convicted of?

WW1949
WW1949 01/03/10 - 12:38 am
the young girl is just as

the young girl is just as guilty as the male if both are in agreement. it is sad that only the male is proscuted especially if the girl lies about her age.

mieshel
mieshel 01/03/10 - 10:40 am
Thank you WW1949! was trying

Thank you WW1949! was trying to explain that to corgimom. We could pull up cases all day long. Im saying maybe another category should be used. A student was also labeled a sexual offender because he took a leak outside behind a dumpster. No kids around...

iknowitwheniseeit
iknowitwheniseeit 01/04/10 - 08:27 pm
SOIssues - I don't really

SOIssues - I don't really care what your blog says. The "so called study" was generated by the Task Force on Community Protection 1989 as the result of a string of murders and assaults by sex offenders. The public was outraged and Governor Booth Gardner responded with the task force. It resulted in landmark legislation in WA state that has been adopted throughout the country which I was personally involved in. The laws that resulted and passed with unanimously were Offender Registration, Public Notification, and Civil Commitment.