WJBF, WAGT negotiating with on-air personnel

Two Augusta television stations set to begin sharing services in January are still negotiating over on-air personnel.

In October, WJBF (Channel 6) and WAGT (Channel 26) announced that their parent companies had reached an agreement for WJBF to provide sales, news and other operational services for WAGT.

"We're pretty sure of a couple of them, but because of the contractual obligations of some of the anchors, we still haven't finalized our list yet," said Bill Stewart, the general manager at WJBF. "We opened it for ... their people to apply. Some of them have, and some of them have not yet."

Under the agreement, WAGT's 47 employees can become Media General employees, Mr. Stewart said. Richmond, Va.-based Media General owns the ABC affiliate. While some employees have chosen to move on, the majority will continue to work at the station, he said.

Mishawaka, Ind.-based Schurz Communications Inc. owns WAGT, the market's NBC affiliate. Under the agreement, WAGT will manage programming other than local news and fulfill additional obligations required by the Federal Communications Commission.

Mr. Stewart said several managers will lose their jobs. The agreement requires two WAGT managers to remain at the station.

"This is actually the best situation that could come about," said Mike Bell, the station manager at WAGT. "It allows the two companies to share resources in a better, more efficient way to meet advertiser demand and new demands of the economy and hopefully move those stations forward."

WJBF will take over WAGT on Friday, but changes in the news operation won't take effect until the next week. Mr. Stewart and WJBF's news director and sales managers will go back and forth between the two stations.

"The public will see very few changes. The one thing that you will see change is a little bit of programming," he said.

The 6 p.m. news on WAGT will remain, but the 11 a.m. newscast will be replaced with a 7 p.m. news program because many people work later, Mr. Stewart said.

WJBF's staff of 74 will not be affected, Mr. Stewart said. WJBF news personnel will continue broadcasting the 10 p.m. newscast on Fox affiliate WFXG (Channel 54).

Reach LaTina Emerson at (706) 823-3227 or latina.emerson@augustachronicle.com.

ZenoElia
ZenoElia 12/30/09 - 02:20 am
It's sad to know that

It's sad to know that communications in our town have been reduced to only one owner for broadcast tv and that the only competition is Morris and his newspaper...Augusts just keeps gettin' butter. Pun intended. (Bloody nose) The smart ones will get it.

LouLou
LouLou 12/30/09 - 06:11 am
Augusta is SO BIG to hear all

Augusta is SO BIG to hear all say! What goes here MONOPOLY's
Maybe they can get Bob Smith away from WRDW. I thought he'd retired! DUH?

AnotherPerspective
AnotherPerspective 12/30/09 - 10:56 am
Zeno, I'm not sure I would

Zeno, I'm not sure I would consider broadcast to be competition for print.

augusta1987
augusta1987 12/30/09 - 01:30 pm
Once the newscast has been

Once the newscast has been combined, I sure hope they replace Jennie Montgomery on the 6&11 newscasts with Bridgett Williams. So much better on the eyes.

Emperor Vespasian
Emperor Vespasian 12/30/09 - 01:45 pm
I agree aug1987, Bridget

I agree aug1987, Bridget needs to stay and so does Jeff Rucker. Jeff is the best weather person in this area hands down.

AnotherPerspective
AnotherPerspective 12/30/09 - 01:55 pm
How does a person's looks

How does a person's looks affect their ability to read the news?

sjgraci
sjgraci 12/30/09 - 01:57 pm
One more sign of the failure

One more sign of the failure of news media in this country.

RIPAmerica
RIPAmerica 12/30/09 - 02:00 pm
I don't know... I've been

I don't know... I've been present in a crowd as Ms Williams passed by... what does "bad weave" mean?

sjgraci
sjgraci 12/30/09 - 02:09 pm
"We got the bubble headed

"We got the bubble headed bleach blonde, comes on at 5 She can tell you about the plane crash with a gleam in her eye It's interesting when people die, give us dirty laundry" Some prefer to get their "News" from News Models. They are the ones that will never get what Mr. Henley's song is about that he wrote so long ago. It has only gotten worse.

AnotherPerspective
AnotherPerspective 12/30/09 - 05:58 pm
Well said, graci. It's

Well said, graci. It's entertainment, not news. It's pretty pictures on a screen, not substance.

crackerjack
crackerjack 12/30/09 - 08:55 pm
I agree Emperor, Jeff Rucker

I agree Emperor, Jeff Rucker is the best, also Jay Jeffries

ionlyknow
ionlyknow 12/30/09 - 09:50 pm
What I think is sad is how

What I think is sad is how they just sit in a room and play with the way a person makes there living. I feel for the employees of both stations to be treated like a bartered product. And those say looks make or break a show I dont think so. I watch channel 6 every morning and see the two m and m's Matt Monroe and Mary Morrison. As far as the Morris comment, we need a out spoken person.

thewiz0oz
thewiz0oz 12/31/09 - 12:51 am
This is further evidence that

This is further evidence that th status-quo does not exist -- life moves forward or backwards but never sits still -- Greater Augusta (the CSRA) has many opportunities but too many parallelisms -- not enough convergence do issues common to all and important to a successful future -- we need to grow our economic base driven by our tourism resources and bio-tech/bio-med capabilities -- once a community of corporate headquarters we are now a devision community with major decisions made elsewhere -- transpiration (air service) resources have been inadequate and lack of a north-south interstate connection -- and the high-speed rail system is looming but may pass us by -- without a U.S. Congressperson residing in the CSRA (Georgia & S.C.) we are at risk.

thewiz0oz
thewiz0oz 12/31/09 - 12:56 am
This is further evidence that

This is further evidence that th status-quo does not exist -- life moves forward or backwards but never sits still -- Greater Augusta (the CSRA) has many opportunities but too many parallelisms -- not enough convergence on issues common to all and important to a successful future -- we need to grow our economic base driven by our tourism resources and bio-tech/bio-med capabilities -- once a community of corporate headquarters we are now a division community with major decisions made elsewhere -- transpiration (air service) resources have been inadequate and lack of a north-south interstate connection -- and the high-speed rail system is looming but may pass us by -- without a U.S. Congressperson residing in the CSRA (Georgia & S.C.) we are at risk

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 12/31/09 - 05:45 am
RIPAmerica, Bridget Williams

RIPAmerica, Bridget Williams did a story that included my son a couple of years ago, and I was very impressed with how sweet, kind, and patient she was. And, yes, very attractive. I think she's also very competent and would hope she stays.

omnomnom
omnomnom 12/31/09 - 06:03 am
dunno what dictionary you're

dunno what dictionary you're reading out of Wiz, but thats not the definition of transpiration. You sound like a mad cross between a marketer and a policy analyst. i wish the best to all at 26.

puppy
puppy 12/31/09 - 11:04 am
Mary Morrison in the morning

Mary Morrison in the morning and Matt Monroe are the best two morning anchors. I hope this pair stays around a long time. I don't like to watch when Mary is away. I think some of the other female anchors should take notes from Mary as to how the news should be delivered. The ones of you that "GRIN" through the entire news cast are awful>>>>>

Lp_J
Lp_J 12/31/09 - 12:34 pm
Tim Strong & Stacey Wilson

Tim Strong & Stacey Wilson are the best

weatheringheights
weatheringheights 12/31/09 - 05:32 pm
OMG! I can't stand watching

OMG! I can't stand watching channel 12 news in the morning. That whole segment with that ditzy chick on the internet drives me crazy. What station big wig is she related to? On a side note, I love the chemistry between John Hart and Kim Scott is amazing. I always end up laughing.

atsugua13
atsugua13 01/05/10 - 08:50 pm
Keep Ms Williams, keep

Keep Ms Williams, keep Navidah, but Rucker must go....If he writes his own copy...and it sounds like he does...then he is a sad excuse for a meteorologist.

Officers tell of trauma from taking life

Although every experience is different, officers who take a life often experience severe bouts of depression, alcoholism, marital problems, sleepless nights and feelings of being alone in the ...