Killing us with 'kindness'

Democrats may come off looking like Santa Claus. Republicans may come off like the Grinch.

But neither party has covered itself in glory in recent decades, and particularly in this stampede to create a new health-care entitlement at a time when we can't even pay for what we already have.

The truth is, the massive federal takeover of health care would simply be the latest -- and one of the biggest -- plundering of the national Treasury on our supposed behalf.

They are killing us with what passes for kindness in government, immorally using our descendants' money to do so, and putting our republic and its paper currency on life support in the process.

This is not about health care. At bottom, it's about our leaders' ability to raid our national Treasury -- and their inability to resist doing it.

Latching on to health care is no doubt a brilliant strategy by leftists who have utter disdain for this country's freedoms -- and who surely realize the power they are grasping by creating unprecedented new dependency on the government.

Such dependency is like crack cocaine, and the "dealers" in Washington are using our money to get us addicted.

Yet, as much power as Washington grabs, we will always have the upper hand -- as long as we have the Constitution. It provides us ways to amend it to stop the kind of out-of-control government we're seeing today. We direct your attention to Article V.

Absent a constitutional convention, it may be too late to stop this slide into socialism. But we have to continue trying -- through the legislative process as this health-care "reform" continues in Congress, through next year's elections and likely through the courts -- for, even if Republicans take over Congress next year, it won't be by a veto-proof majority. That means whatever President Obama gets now, he can probably hold onto with his veto pen in hand.

When details of the Democratic health care proposals finally emerge, it's probable that we'll find, tucked into the thousands of pages of fine print, that health care "reform" will be the most destructive force ever to American liberty.

The more power that flows to Washington, the less you have.

With the loss of liberty comes the loss of personal responsibility. When someone else is responsible for your life, you take less responsibility for it yourself.

What is so sad is that this great country could find ways to make health insurance more affordable and available without turning the entire system -- one-sixth of the economy -- on its head; without the government dictating health-care terms and conditions to us all; without bankrupting future generations; and without doing inestimable and perhaps irreparable injury to the U.S. Constitution and the freedoms it was supposed to ensure.

fd1962
fd1962 12/28/09 - 09:45 am
ACES's output reinforces

ACES's output reinforces Woodrow Wilson's observation: "A Conservative is a person who sits and thinks, mostly sits."

RIPAmerica
RIPAmerica 12/28/09 - 09:49 am
Almost got me with that one,

Almost got me with that one, fd. (I remembered that often you don't agree with your own posts ) Glad to see you're back, hope you had a Merry Christmas.

ron_rlw
ron_rlw 12/28/09 - 09:56 am
In order to push the coverage

In order to push the coverage to those that don't currently have it we need to work on two pointed &#0133 1) Catastrophic coverage &#0133 2) indigent care.

Catastrophic coverage would be the coverage that would kick in after the current limits on folks health care insurance runs out. A lot of insurance companies carry such insurance now and they using have fairly low premiums. The big problem is that it appears that most folks don't even know that these insurance policies are available &#0133 or we just assume that we will never reach the limits of our current policies. I have a cancer policy that will kick in when my currently insurance reaches its limits because of a history of cancer in my family, I've now been paying on the policy for over 30 years.

The indigent care system in this country ensures that no person is turned away from any hospital that receives federal money (and most do) without getting a minimal level of care. In Augusta MCG is the hospital that does the most for the indigent care, however the other hospitals have to give it also.

ron_rlw
ron_rlw 12/28/09 - 09:57 am
(continued)Both of these

(continued)Both of these systems that are already in place can be managed better. The first place to start would be in the area of education &#0133 folks need to know what is available to them and how they can take advantage of it. Step number two is to restructure the laws and taxes so that these and other programs are more affordable and/or give incentives for the hospitals to work to streamline the process.

afskyefan
afskyefan 12/28/09 - 10:15 am
Why the endless debate over

Why the endless debate over Republicans over Democrats? There is not a bit of difference. Both are just a bunch of self serving, self promoting politicians that care about nothing more than securing power, wealth and privelidge for themselves and their cronies. Neither party cares one bit for the United States as a country, or for the American people as a whole. They pander and lie to keep themselves in office, and forget every promise made to the electorate once they are there. When will things change in this country? Never. Unless we wise up and start vetting and voting for people of character and integrity, and amend the constitution and term limit these offices. Five terms for a congressmen and two for senators is plenty. Too many of the crusty old dinosaurs are clogging up the process in Washington. And people; stop voting for parties and start voting for America. This system is broken, and the two parties are the ones that broke it.

RIPAmerica
RIPAmerica 12/28/09 - 10:18 am
af: Great post... could we

af: Great post... could we also add to the term limits the stipulation that if a Representative or Senator chooses to run for higher office, they must immediately resign their current office?

montega12
montega12 12/28/09 - 10:20 am
and where in all this do you

and where in all this do you think you will be able to afford healthcare now its already been stated that 25 million people will still not be covered. maybe if people would stop buying flatscreens and the latest laptops or iphone or those two hundred dollar outfits and pay for whats important they would have insurance. prices are going up and the people that work and have insurance will still have to pay for someone too sorry to get insurance without help from the government that money will come out of my paycheck

afskyefan
afskyefan 12/28/09 - 10:27 am
RIP, not a bad idea. And this

RIP, not a bad idea. And this is not to criticize any particular candidate, but the people are done a disservice when we elect someone to an office and they neglect the duties of that office to go out and hit the campaign trail. GW did it when he was the governor of Texas. President Obama did it while he was supposed to be serving in the senate, as did John McCain and Hillary Clinton. Nice to have that safety net to fall back on if you lose.

ron_rlw
ron_rlw 12/28/09 - 10:31 am
afskyefan ... I'm not sure

afskyefan ... I'm not sure term limits is the solution ... while I disagreed with almost everything Kennedy did ... I believe that the voters in Mass had every right to have the Senator they wanted. I believe the real answer is to stir up the voters and let them decided ... most voters don't know what they are voting for. An example here is the ObamaCare ... Several folks have asked what's so great about the current Health Care Bills and no one seems to have any idea ... even the supports.

RIPAmerica
RIPAmerica 12/28/09 - 10:34 am
Ron: It's actually a trick

Ron: It's actually a trick question (but I'll keep asking it anyway '-) ). The House nor the Senate knows what's in the bills either.

RIPAmerica
RIPAmerica 12/28/09 - 10:36 am
Would any supporter of this

Would any supporter of this health care legislation please share the improvements that will result if passed? Would they please share how they will benefit from this if passed? Will they please provide us with facts that support their claims? Would they care to respond to the fact of these "30 million uninsured" exactly ZERO live in poverty? Would some supporter please tell us why it is 20 million of the above mentioned 30 million are under age 26 and don't even want insurance? Please, oh health care legislation supporters, would you tell us why you are so in love with the bill and save the "GOP did nothing" because it simply is NOT relevant? I have studied this, please would you tell me what I'm not seeing that should make me in favor of this legislation?

ron_rlw
ron_rlw 12/28/09 - 10:37 am
RIP ... Yes ... and no one

RIP ... Yes ... and no one that doesn't know the answer should be allowed to vote on the bill.

ron_rlw
ron_rlw 12/28/09 - 10:39 am
RIP ... you would think you

RIP ... you would think you are asking such a simple question ... esp when you consider the fact that folks are willing to waste a trillion dollars (which we don't have) on this bill.

Irish
Irish 12/28/09 - 10:41 am
Actually those who favor this

Actually those who favor this bill are just showing a plantation mentallity. Cradle to grave. Provide food, shelter, clothing, and of course health care. They are either the reciepients of the services or the Slave owners providing it. Either way both recieve something whether it is welfare or votes !

fishman960
fishman960 12/28/09 - 10:42 am
Lots of posts on this thread

Lots of posts on this thread this morn. Haven't read them all, will take a few. One thing that stands out in my mind is this. I have asked for days for a democrat supporter to explain just what about the democratic party do you favor. The closest thing I got to a response was from Brad who said that he wasn't sure that he was a dem supporter, which took guts. Can any democrat answer the question honestly without some schoolyard remarks? Especially- Bushwacker

ron_rlw
ron_rlw 12/28/09 - 10:42 am
Irish ... correct me if I

Irish ... correct me if I wrong ... but didn't we fight a war about 150 years ago to get away from that.

fishman960
fishman960 12/28/09 - 10:43 am
Will a democrat just tell me

Will a democrat just tell me what is so good about the dem party, PLEASE??????????????????????

RIPAmerica
RIPAmerica 12/28/09 - 10:47 am
This is what the author of

This is what the author of the bill, Conrad, said to BBC television which chills my bones. "I know what's in this legislation, I wrote it. It will change our system of health care to pay for only positive outcomes." He also said "It's impossible to read the bill and understand it, for it's full of legal gobbledygook." In my feeble mind, the first statement clearly indicates someone is going to weigh the cost of treatment vs the likelihood of a positive outcome and refuse treatment if cost outweighs potential benefit (can you say death panel?). The second quote is an insult to folks like me who can indeed understand "gobbledygook" and take the time to cross reference all the prior law being changed.

fd1962
fd1962 12/28/09 - 10:48 am
Yes, RIP, exhilarating to be

Yes, RIP, exhilarating to be reinstated alright. I had to first provide a non-revocable notarized statement in support of the TEE Center, agree NOT to contest Morris Communication's unstructured bankruptcy, stop reading the Athens Banner for contradictory editorial stances, and to avoid the profanity, 'doosh,' in future comments here. Small price to pay in defense of our Constitution, I suppose. I also have to stop warning that Republicans are engineering a Zombie-raising-from-the-grave of Ronald Reagan to lead the GOP.

ron_rlw
ron_rlw 12/28/09 - 10:50 am
RIP ... "pay for only

RIP ... "pay for only positive outcomes" ... interesting since all of us will die at some time and if given enough time will grow old. What is meant by "only positive outcomes"?

RIPAmerica
RIPAmerica 12/28/09 - 10:51 am
Fish, though I am no DEM, I'd

Fish, though I am no DEM, I'd like a shot at your question. The good thing about the DEM party is inclusiveness. The DEM party represents such a wide variety of people that unity is practically impossible. And, though I am not GOP, the good thing about the GOP is it is able to be more unified, though much less inclusive. Other than those points, I don't see much good in either. Independents are the vast majority which both sides attempt to sway during elections, and the most ignored after the results are in.

afskyefan
afskyefan 12/28/09 - 10:52 am
ron rlw, I am not sure that

ron rlw, I am not sure that the 'people' of Massachusetts got the senator they wanted, or if the population center of Boston did. Since I am not familiar with the demographics of the state I cannot speak to the facts of the electoral process there. I would wonder just how many times he was challenged for the party nomination during his tenure in office. We see enough elections in this area where a candidate runs unopposed and essentially the voters are offered no choice at all. Term limits would prevent this from happening since no one would have the chance to become so anchored in an office so as to be perceived to be unbeatable.

ron_rlw
ron_rlw 12/28/09 - 10:52 am
Does anyone know John Barrow

Does anyone know John Barrow intentions on the compromise health care bill that will be voted on in Jan.?

RIPAmerica
RIPAmerica 12/28/09 - 10:52 am
fd: Thanks for that smile. I

fd: Thanks for that smile. I owe you one. You're the first I've ever heard to be reinstated after a ban. I salute you.

ron_rlw
ron_rlw 12/28/09 - 10:57 am
afskyefan ... The Boston area

afskyefan ... The Boston area re-elected Kennedy each time. But they are the majority of the Mass voters. While I agree that a constitution amendment would be the correct way to created the term limits (short of doing it on a state by state bases) ... I also believe that is putting an additional power within the federal government's control and I hate to give up any more freedoms to the federal government.

Bumm
Bumm 12/28/09 - 11:17 am
Questions on the Health care

Questions on the Health care bill. If it is so good why is it good enough for the common man and not for the ones that voted for it? Taxes will sky-rocket and aren't taxes too high already? It is supposed to be FREE health care, but you have to purchase it or a government plan? Why did the Dems have to buy the votes to get it passed? You do not purchase Health Insurance you will be fined for it?

ron_rlw
ron_rlw 12/28/09 - 11:21 am
Bumm ... you won't be fined

Bumm ... you won't be fined ... the IRS is collecting it as additional taxes. This is a tax increase on the non-insured.

fishman960
fishman960 12/28/09 - 11:27 am
After reading the thread I

After reading the thread I see most here agree. A few dissenters, but most are sensible and want the same thing. The problem as I see it is that we can't stop it. So what is the next step? RIP, thanks for giving a shot at my question.

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 12/28/09 - 11:28 am
ron rlw according to John

ron rlw according to John Barrow's office and his latest mailings, he does not support the Health Care Bill at all and understands that it will increase unemployment and increase costs across the board. I recieved a letter from him Saturday in response to numerous e mails I have directed to him on that very subject.

ron_rlw
ron_rlw 12/28/09 - 11:38 am
Fishman960 ... if we keep all

Fishman960 ... if we keep all the no votes in the House and gain just 3 more ... this waste can be stopped. I believe with all the special deals in both the House and Senate ... not all of them can be maintained, therefore we have a real chance of defeating the bill in the House.

Daniel Field removes trees, lights structures in airspace

Daniel Field, managed by operations company Augusta Aviation, has spent more than $30,000 conducting land surveys, removing 30 trees and installing red blinking lights on top of the Newman Tennis ...