Killing us with 'kindness'

Democrats may come off looking like Santa Claus. Republicans may come off like the Grinch.

But neither party has covered itself in glory in recent decades, and particularly in this stampede to create a new health-care entitlement at a time when we can't even pay for what we already have.

The truth is, the massive federal takeover of health care would simply be the latest -- and one of the biggest -- plundering of the national Treasury on our supposed behalf.

They are killing us with what passes for kindness in government, immorally using our descendants' money to do so, and putting our republic and its paper currency on life support in the process.

This is not about health care. At bottom, it's about our leaders' ability to raid our national Treasury -- and their inability to resist doing it.

Latching on to health care is no doubt a brilliant strategy by leftists who have utter disdain for this country's freedoms -- and who surely realize the power they are grasping by creating unprecedented new dependency on the government.

Such dependency is like crack cocaine, and the "dealers" in Washington are using our money to get us addicted.

Yet, as much power as Washington grabs, we will always have the upper hand -- as long as we have the Constitution. It provides us ways to amend it to stop the kind of out-of-control government we're seeing today. We direct your attention to Article V.

Absent a constitutional convention, it may be too late to stop this slide into socialism. But we have to continue trying -- through the legislative process as this health-care "reform" continues in Congress, through next year's elections and likely through the courts -- for, even if Republicans take over Congress next year, it won't be by a veto-proof majority. That means whatever President Obama gets now, he can probably hold onto with his veto pen in hand.

When details of the Democratic health care proposals finally emerge, it's probable that we'll find, tucked into the thousands of pages of fine print, that health care "reform" will be the most destructive force ever to American liberty.

The more power that flows to Washington, the less you have.

With the loss of liberty comes the loss of personal responsibility. When someone else is responsible for your life, you take less responsibility for it yourself.

What is so sad is that this great country could find ways to make health insurance more affordable and available without turning the entire system -- one-sixth of the economy -- on its head; without the government dictating health-care terms and conditions to us all; without bankrupting future generations; and without doing inestimable and perhaps irreparable injury to the U.S. Constitution and the freedoms it was supposed to ensure.

justthefacts
justthefacts 12/28/09 - 09:19 am
The CEO of a major employer

The CEO of a major employer in Florida was on one of the Sunday talk shows. They provide HC for 6500 employees. If/When this bill passes, he said his company will discontinue providing HC and pay the 'fine". It will save his company $8 million a year.

carcraft
carcraft 12/28/09 - 09:21 am
When some one asked one of

When some one asked one of our STUPID senators where the power to force peole to buy health insurance comes from in the constitution she said "I'll only answer serious questions"..if they can force us to buy health care why can't they force us to have genetic testing, put monitors on our computers and phonesand cars? Tell me where the power of the Federal government ends? According to you folks on the left not with forced compliance to a Federal mandate!

seenitB4
119174
seenitB4 12/28/09 - 09:23 am
RIP Can you say we didn't

RIP Can you say we didn't need health reform??Have U ever had the ins. co make a health decision for you?/ Many folks aren't happy with this bill, but we know some changes needed to come to REPAIR the crap some of us have gone through..That's why I say I wish the Reps. had dealt with it..

ron_rlw
ron_rlw 12/28/09 - 09:23 am
My company employees over

My company employees over 20,000 in the southeast and already pushes us into government run medicare as so as we qualify ... but then why not ... it's much cheaper on them to let the government take the risk.

ron_rlw
ron_rlw 12/28/09 - 09:24 am
seenitB4 ... but how does

seenitB4 ... but how does ObamaCare help?

southernguy08
southernguy08 12/28/09 - 09:25 am
I would like just the

I would like just the supporters of this healthcare bill to answer 2 simple questions. First, if this bill is so wonderful, why did Obama and congress feel the need to exempt themselves from it? Second, if this bill is so wonderful, why is former DNC chair Howard Dean, a former physician, against it? Sounds like he's opposing his own party in power.

ron_rlw
ron_rlw 12/28/09 - 09:27 am
carcraft ... to those libs

carcraft ... to those libs that want a government takeover of our economy the Constitution isn't a serious issue. As a matter of fact it is just an obstacle to be overcome.

seenitB4
119174
seenitB4 12/28/09 - 09:28 am
Did I say it was perfect??

Did I say it was perfect?? They did SOMETHING,,if you had cancer & lost your job,, then your ins. co. dropped U ,,,U might like the changes,,(I don't have cancer) but know some who have had problems..

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 12/28/09 - 09:31 am
religion, money, government,

religion, money, government, control, power, war = destruction

ron_rlw
ron_rlw 12/28/09 - 09:31 am
seenitB4 ... no you didn't

seenitB4 ... no you didn't say it was perfect ... but then again you didn't tell us any details about why we should support it either.

ron_rlw
ron_rlw 12/28/09 - 09:33 am
seenitB4 ... the few changes

seenitB4 ... the few changes that you seem to be suggesting doesn't require a takeover of the insurance industry ... Just a restructuring of the risk and higher premiums.

BadBoyd
BadBoyd 12/28/09 - 09:34 am
"Hello State Farm? My house

"Hello State Farm? My house is on fire, can you please issue me a policy while the fire dept is on the way?"

seenitB4
119174
seenitB4 12/28/09 - 09:34 am
I don't care if you support

I don't care if you support it or not,,, it's probably a DONE deal...Like I said before,, the Reps. had a chance & did nothing..So now we are getting what the Dems. want... As far as I'm concerned allof congress can take a hike.. I would change the whole lot out & replace them with others...not very happy with our gov.

JohnRandolphHardisonCain
JohnRandolphHardisonCain 12/28/09 - 09:35 am
I suggest firing Homeland

I suggest firing Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano as well as people in the U.S. intelligence community, the State Dept & in airline security who gave this known terrorist threat a visa & allowed him to board a plane carrying explosives. I do not support expanding the war on terror to Yemen. President Obama now has wars raging in Iraq, in Afghanistan, in Pakistan, in Somalia & now in Yemen. Increasing tensions between Muslims & other religions are on the rise as far away as Malaysia. That tell me that this is exactly Osama bin Laden's and Ayman al Zawahiri's Al Qaeda game plan. They will not defeat United States militarily, but we will exhaust ourselves in ever widening, ever more costly, unwinnable wars. The middle class in this country is being lost. Poverty is increasing. United States should protect its shores, it borders, its ports, its airports, and its international transportation systems. I'm saying that $7 trillion for wars dwarf's $1 trillion for health care, but $1 trillion for health care is not a pittance, and we cannot afford it now. I am critical of liberals in the blogosphere for failing to put peace as their highest priority over health care reform.

ron_rlw
ron_rlw 12/28/09 - 09:36 am
seenitB4 ... I have cancer

seenitB4 ... I have cancer insurance, I've been paying on it for the last 30 years. So don't tell me that this isn't already available ... for those willing to pay for it.

seenitB4
119174
seenitB4 12/28/09 - 09:36 am
I agree Ron,, some changes

I agree Ron,, some changes would have corrected our problems. But we didn't get them from either side..

RIPAmerica
RIPAmerica 12/28/09 - 09:38 am
Seenit: It is considered rude

Seenit: It is considered rude to answer a question with a question. If you care to share your thoughts about the questions I posed, I'd be happy to do the same for you.

ron_rlw
ron_rlw 12/28/09 - 09:39 am
John &#0133 Cain &#0133

John &#0133 Cain &#0133 Firing Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano and others over allowing a terrorist on broad a plane &#0133 esp since she thinks the system worked &#0133 is something that we can agree on.

createyourfuture
createyourfuture 12/28/09 - 09:39 am
Enact the Fair Tax. End

Enact the Fair Tax. End deficit spending. Use Fair Tax to fund health care, Medicare, and Medicaid. Everyone pays; therefore, has investment and ownership.However, national health care will stifle innovation and will continue the "dumbing down of America."
Government needs to get the hell out of areas not covered in the Constitution of the United States. Repeal the 17th Amendment, so states will be represented in Washington.
Institute school choice. Michigan has. Much better schools when parents have a choice of where to send their children.
If enacted, we wouldn't need a "stimulus package."

Irish
Irish 12/28/09 - 09:41 am
I thought Mr. O'bama would

I thought Mr. O'bama would cause others to aspire to do more and accomplish more to better themselves. Instead it seems his policies encourage them to waller in the squalor of welfare and sit on the porches waiting for more benefits. Sooner or later those from whom the wealth is being taken to redistribute will quit producing too and we will have nothing but reciepients. Having worked 1099 all my life I have always purchased health insurance and not once have I ever been cancelled or turned down for covered treatment.

ron_rlw
ron_rlw 12/28/09 - 09:41 am
John ... Cain ... but I can't

John ... Cain ... but I can't agree that just because we are waste other money, therefore wasting additional trillion dollar on HealthCare that won't work is OK. What in ObamaCare makes it worth wasting a Trillion Dollars?

RIPAmerica
RIPAmerica 12/28/09 - 09:42 am
A man is swimming from the

A man is swimming from the beach to an island 300 yds away. About halfway, he begins to struggle and calls for help. A boat quickly appears by his side. The man cannot climb the side, the boat captain explains he has no life ring or even a preserver to assist the swimmer. The swimmer exclaims "Do something!" The captain throws him an anchor, the swimmer promptly drowns. The Moral: Sometimes Something Is Much Worse Than Nothing.

seenitB4
119174
seenitB4 12/28/09 - 09:44 am
Rip I have tried my best not

Rip I have tried my best not to be rude on here... but I notice some folks want others to jump through hoops for them... I choose not to.. I don't plan to defend this plan,, my thoughts have been that the Reps. complain but did NOTHING..You said that wasn't relevant I tend to disagree (with respect to you).. So let's agree to disagree on that..

ron_rlw
ron_rlw 12/28/09 - 09:44 am
Irish ... the fact is we

Irish ... the fact is we already have laws on the books that require insurance companies to cover ... "covered treatment" ... it is only the "non-covered treatment" that is in question. Folk think they should be covered, even though they aren't paying for the coverage.

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 12/28/09 - 09:46 am
Dean wants a public option.

Dean wants a public option.

RIPAmerica
RIPAmerica 12/28/09 - 09:47 am
Seenit: I demand not answers,

Seenit: I demand not answers, I agree some on here do so and it irritates me to no end. I was careful to ASK questions, hoping someone who supports this crud could show me what I'm missing after the extensive research I've done on this legislation. The issue of the Editorial is the legislation at hand, not the failure of ANY previous administration to enact health care reform. I ASK, I do not demand. Your reply filled with questions lead away from a very important topic. My apologies if my response to you was taken rudely.

JohnRandolphHardisonCain
JohnRandolphHardisonCain 12/28/09 - 09:48 am
ron rlw, I stated TWICE that

ron rlw, I stated TWICE that United States cannot afford health care reform at this time. We also do not have the money to maintain our infrastructure or to expand such necessary items as high speed passenger rail. China is building high speed trains. China is or soon will be the number one producer of solar energy and wind energy. United States is losing its edge because it is embroiled in protracted, costly, unwinnable wars. China is not. No, you cannot have an entitlement state which is mired in war and which also has a dysfunctional economy. An second economic collapse is coming. We have only ourselves to blame.

ron_rlw
ron_rlw 12/28/09 - 09:50 am
seenitB4 ... interesting ...

seenitB4 ... interesting ... you want us to waste a trillion dollars yet you will not (or maybe can not) defend this plan. You say the Reps did nothing ... however the US through the free market economy has developed the best health care system in the worlkd. 85% of the folks have near complete access to all the benefits of this health care system and that includes most of the poor. It was even the Republicans that gave the older folks drug benefits ... over the objections of the democrats I might add.

seenitB4
119174
seenitB4 12/28/09 - 09:51 am
I accept your apology & hope

I accept your apology & hope we can get to more fun topics..

RIPAmerica
RIPAmerica 12/28/09 - 09:52 am
Would any supporter of this

Would any supporter of this health care legislation PLEASE share the improvements that will result if passed? Would they PLEASE share how they will benefit from this if passed? Will they PLEASE provide us with facts that support their claims? Would they care to respond to the fact of these "30 million uninsured" exactly ZERO live in poverty? Would some supporter PLEASE tell us why it is 20 million of the above mentioned 30 million are under age 26 and don't even WANT insurance? PLEASE, oh healthcare legislation supporters, would you tell us why you are so in love with the bill and save the "GOP did nothing" because it simply is NOT relevant? I have studied this, PLEASE would you tell me what I'm not seeing that should make me in favor of this legislation?