Take back government from Sanford

To all of those who think it's time to take back our government:

The recent censure of South Carolina Gov. Mark Sanford is another embarrassment to our great state. Here is a man who turned his back on his state and abandoned his post for almost a week telling no one on his staff. And in the end, all our legislature does is censure him.

To me, a censure is somewhere between mildly harsh language and a slight tap on the wrist to Sanford -- that is to say, it has no effect at all on how he governs. What does a censure mean? Does he still sign legislation? Yes! Does he still veto legislation? Yes! Does he still get paid by the taxpayers of South Carolina? Yes! Is he still governor? Yes!

I know it is late in Sanford's term, but a basic principle of responsible government has been violated, and Sanford must be held accountable and suffer some real consequences for his irresponsible, if not criminal, actions.

This is our state government, not Mark Sanford's. We need to take our government back.

David G. Jaspers

Aiken, S.C.

UncleStrom
UncleStrom 12/24/09 - 04:37 am
Mr Jaspers, a suggestion

Mr Jaspers, a suggestion about what you feel should be done to/with Gov Sanford might add a modicum of credibility to your list of whines.

GGpap
GGpap 12/24/09 - 05:16 am
This time I find I am in

This time I find I am in agreement with Uncle Strom. I might add that the prudes in our midst might consider unpuckering their lips and get on with life as, in fact, it is! GGpap

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/24/09 - 06:18 am
I guess some want the tar &

I guess some want the tar & feathers days again..like PAP said It's just life,,, get on with it..

Tigger_The_Tiger
Tigger_The_Tiger 12/24/09 - 06:39 am
Seeing as he hasn't broken

Seeing as he hasn't broken any laws, I find it hard to figure out what more could be done to Sanford.

AGR354
AGR354 12/24/09 - 08:27 am
David, The Governor in South

David, The Governor in South Carolina is a figure head, THe true power lies in the Legislation. Ever notice how many of his vetos get over turned when it comes to his budget. atleast 93%

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 12/24/09 - 09:33 am
He's a lame duck. It would

He's a lame duck. It would cost the taxpayers a lot of money for an impeachment trial. Get over it, Mr. Jaspers.

dani
dani 12/24/09 - 09:35 am
Mr Jaspers, Gov Sanford can

Mr Jaspers, Gov Sanford can withstand your criticisms but I wonder how you endure the bitterness you have.

scredsfan
scredsfan 12/24/09 - 10:19 am
You're absolutely right - I'm

You're absolutely right - I'm angry and bitter. Maybe my real question should be - if he were a Democratic governor, would he be getting the same treatment or would people be calling for his resignation, impeachment, or prosecution? Think real hard before you answer that question, and be honest with yourself. Politicians in this area are forgiven for just about any misconduct as long as they are members of the Republic Party. I don't care if he's a lame duck - there is a principle involved here. He should be impeached! The man left his post for 5 days without telling anyone- what would happen to you in your job if you just "took off" without telling anyone?

johnston.cliff
johnston.cliff 12/24/09 - 11:01 am
What silly and phony shock.

What silly and phony shock. Sanford let down his party and his supporters, but his governing is still creditable. Politics being what it is, Sanford is finished as a Repub. The state is in as good of hands as ever.

Tigger_The_Tiger
Tigger_The_Tiger 12/24/09 - 11:22 am
scredsfan.....people HAVE

scredsfan.....people HAVE called for his impeachment and resignation.....problem is he hasn't committed a crime, so what would you have us do?

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 12/24/09 - 01:15 pm
It is Christmas, Mr. Jaspers.

It is Christmas, Mr. Jaspers. Please seek in your heart to offer forgiveness to Gov. Sanford.

scredsfan
scredsfan 12/24/09 - 02:16 pm
Yes, it is Christmas, and in

Yes, it is Christmas, and in my heart I am truly sorry for Governor Sanford and his family. They have been through an ordeal I wouldn't wish on anyone. But to those people who say let it lie, look at the millions of taxpayer dollars spent investigating President Clinton when it was clear a Republican Senate would not remove him from office so that Al Gore would become President and have an advantage in the 2000 election. I realize now that Governor Sanford will not be removed from office and there's not a thing I can do about it - it doesn't mean I have to like it. By the way, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all.

Tigger_The_Tiger
Tigger_The_Tiger 12/24/09 - 02:21 pm
scredsfan.......the

scredsfan.......the difference is, Clinton committed a crime. Now tell us...on what grounds would you have Sanford removed from office?

scredsfan
scredsfan 12/24/09 - 02:56 pm
Tigger...Yes, Ill agree with

Tigger...Yes, Ill agree with you that President Clinton broke the law. And realistically, I knew from the outset that Sanford would never be removed from office by a Republican state legislature that did not want the Republican Lieutenant Governor assuming the Governorship and have an advantage over other Republicans angling for the Governor's office in 2010. (sorry about the long sentence) Unfortunately, politics is politics. whether it's practiced by Republicans or Democrats. Like I said earlier - it doesn't mean I have to like it.

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/25/09 - 05:31 am
Don't we have other things to

Don't we have other things to worry about besides the sex lives of Govenors & Presidents?? FDR & JFK had a history of the same thing,, we didn't barbecue them..What changed??

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 12/25/09 - 08:41 pm
If you got rid of Sanford,

If you got rid of Sanford, would the new guy sign legislation better than Sanford would? Would the new guy veto legislation better than Sanford would? No. The people who want Sanford gone are people who have an interest in seeing that the Lt. Gov. gets a leg up in the primary races. It is best to leave Sanford in office so that there will be no incumbent in the 2010 gubernatorial race. Sanford can do the state no harm in 2010. Leave him alone.

Stormwater fee to fund Columbia County repairs