Seven charged with soliciting sex acts at motel

Several men have been arrested at a Columbia County motel and charged with pandering in the past few days.

"We did receive some complaints of some prostitution and other activities going on at the location," Columbia County sheriff's Maj. Rick Whitaker said Saturday.

Acting on those complaints, Columbia County sheriff's investigators conducted a two-day operation at the Super 8 motel at 456 Park West Drive near Interstate 20, which resulted in seven pandering arrests and two drug arrests.

On Thursday night Charles Bradford English, 33, of Thomson; Benjamin Thomas Tanner, 27, of Grovetown; and Winston James O'Connell, 31, of Augusta, were arrested after they solicited an undercover officer "to perform an act of prostitution," according to reports by the sheriff's investigators.

"The suspects arrested basically offered money for sexual services," Maj. Whitaker said.

On Friday night, Robert Wayne Barker, 55, of Augusta; Steve Craig Terry, 51, of Aiken; Nathan Kurt Heatwall Goering, 42, of Keysville, Ga; and Gilberto Alvarez-Martinez, 30, of Martinez, were arrested at the same location and charged with pandering, according to jail records.

All seven have been released from the Columbia County Detention Center on $1,600 bonds.

Two other men were arrested at the motel early Saturday morning on cocaine and marijuana charges. Chartez Franklin Kitchings, 30, and Marlin Boaz Landy, 26, both of Aiken, remained jailed Saturday with bonds set at $16,700, according to jail records.

Reach Jenna Martin at (706) 868-1222, ext. 109, or jenna.martin@augustachronicle.com.

Asitisinaug
Asitisinaug 12/20/09 - 05:43 am
I am very much

I am very much pro-lawenforcement although I do believe crimes with victims and even traffic enforcement comes before victimless crimes that really shouldn't even be illegal. If you can legally give something away for free or for a dinner & drinks, then you certainly should be able to charge for it. The real problem is if this was again a sting like a few months back where the CCSO posts on CraigsList then placed and undercover officer in the hotel then when the guys show up and offer money, they end up arrested. You are not doing your citizens any good by bringing these people to the community, wasting law enforcement resources that could be better used, ingoring the real crimes in the area including the rampant drug problems in Columbia County and, although just an opinion, by offering these services online, potentially bringing the county into an entrapment law suit. If prostitutes or drug dealers were hanging in the area, then of course deal with it but to post on CL or any other site as to entice people to want to have sex for money and then arrest them for showing up and offering to pay is just plain ridiculous and a poor use of deputies.

UncleStrom
UncleStrom 12/20/09 - 05:59 am
Asitis, once again an

Asitis, once again an outstanding comment! Thank you for your service.

justus4
justus4 12/20/09 - 06:52 am
This sounds like a bunch of

This sounds like a bunch of young men of color, who already have tremendous obstacles to overcome in this country, now have a charge that destroys any level security clearance, any federal job or decent opportunity to advance in life. Everyone knows this is a trick law and enforced sometimes. This is a waste of resources and how many robberies, home envasions, or other crimes took place while these officers were out playing CSI? This is a poor example of human resources management and does nothing to improve the image of that county.

overburdened_taxpayer
overburdened_taxpayer 12/20/09 - 07:18 am
The county can't be brought

The county can't be brought into an entrapment lawsuit on these issues. They follow what the law allows in these circumstances. Did anyone complaining notice that 2 of the people arrested were for drug charges? Hmmm Asitisinaug? Prostitution may seem a victimless crime to some of you but that is not always the case. A lot of girls are prostituted under duress. I remember at least one case where a landlord in the area was making a couple of girls who were late on their rent have sex for money so he could get his rent. Or underage girls being turned out? So how do you know beforehand whether it is victimless or not? The correct answer is that you don't. So if you think it is a poor use of deputies then you must not remember all the children that were used in prostitution rings that were recently saved across the US because of operations like this. Either that or you don't care and condone sex with children or those forced into selling their body. And if any of you don't care about what could happen then I pity your complete loss of compassion.

UncleStrom
UncleStrom 12/20/09 - 07:25 am
If someone is forced into

If someone is forced into prostitution against their will, the pimp or madame should be face charges for that. The act and/or business deal itself involving two willing adult participants should not be a criminal offense in my opinion.

overburdened_taxpayer
overburdened_taxpayer 12/20/09 - 07:31 am
Again I'll say that if you

Again I'll say that if you think it shouldn't be a criminal offense then lobby your legislators to change it. If you don't do these operations though you will never find out if it is forced or using children.

overburdened_taxpayer
overburdened_taxpayer 12/20/09 - 07:37 am
As for your post justus4, you

As for your post justus4, you can't stop the other crimes you mention unless you have a police officer on EVERY corner or in some cases in front of EVERY building. There are only so many areas you can be proactive, all the rest are reactive. Of course if we were to station a police officer on every corner then you would complain that it was done to intimidate the minorities instead of stopping crime. But with that thought, only minorities and non-minorities that are committing crimes would need to worry about it huh?

UncleStrom
UncleStrom 12/20/09 - 08:22 am
ot - @6:31AM. I put the words

ot - @6:31AM. I put the words "willing" and "adult" in my comment for a reason. Can I bring you another cup of coffee?

overburdened_taxpayer
overburdened_taxpayer 12/20/09 - 08:30 am
UncleStrom on Sun Dec 20,

UncleStrom on Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:22 AM. Again I'll say that if you think it shouldn't be a criminal offense then lobby your legislators to change it.

cparker
cparker 12/20/09 - 08:32 am
Crime is everywhere. This is

Crime is everywhere. This is a good thing because many of these perverts are involved in more than prostitution. They always talked about crime in south Augusta while creating a crime haven in Columbia county. Immorality has no race, no gender, and no address!!

nofrills
nofrills 12/20/09 - 08:33 am
I dont agree with wasting the

I dont agree with wasting the courts time with people who want to pay for sex. Most of them can't get it any other way and it cuts down on rape. Its just like abortion. Its your body and you should be able to decide for yourself. What a waste of taxpayers money!

overburdened_taxpayer
overburdened_taxpayer 12/20/09 - 08:53 am
nofrills - see my 7:30

nofrills - see my 7:30

overburdened_taxpayer
overburdened_taxpayer 12/20/09 - 08:55 am
People seem to always want to

People seem to always want to complain about what they don't like but fall short of trying to actively do anything about it.

nofrills
nofrills 12/20/09 - 09:03 am
I have and lobby my

I have and lobby my legislators to change it. I also tell them to make pot legal. Our courts are jammed up with petty charges wasting taxpayers money and I don't mean a little but I am talking millions of dollars every year.

InChristLove
InChristLove 12/20/09 - 09:06 am
"We did receive some

"We did receive some complaints of some prostitution and other activities going on at the location," I guess our police officers are suppose to ignore citizen complaints of illegal activity since some people deem this not worthy to investigate. nofrills, Rape doesn't have anything to do with paying for sex you can't get elsewhere. Rape is about dominance and power, not the act of sexual release.

belle
belle 12/20/09 - 09:07 am
"We did receive some

"We did receive some complaints of some prostitution and other activities going on at the location," THIS is why they were there, they did not "entrap" these men...these men were looking to do this, they just got caught. If this was going on next door to your home or business you would want it stopped also. Just because an immoral act does not affect you personally does not mean that it does not affect the general wellbeing of the community you live in. The same community you are raising your children in.

charliemanson
charliemanson 12/20/09 - 09:13 am
Justus: Sorry to bust your

Justus: Sorry to bust your bubble but most of the men who gets arrested in these sex sting operations are usually white. In this case I think 5 was white and 1 was a hispanic and one was black. The two who was dealing drugs were black, though.

charliemanson
charliemanson 12/20/09 - 09:14 am
Concerning your comment about

Concerning your comment about the "men of color" and their obstacles to advancements in this country, the "men of color" need to avoid criminal activities, so the "MAN" won't have that to use against them!!!

UncleStrom
UncleStrom 12/20/09 - 09:17 am
These guys were at THIS hotel

These guys were at THIS hotel looking for love due (at least in part) to an ad the police placed on Craig's List. Is that part not clear? If the activity was already ongoing at this location before they lured these guys there, they could have staked it out and caught the participants "flagrante delicto" and arrested the working girls too.

charliemanson
charliemanson 12/20/09 - 09:21 am
Justus: Will agree with you

Justus: Will agree with you about the media. I noticed that AC hasn't made any mention of the Columbia County woman stealing $36,000 from the church or the guy who pull out a gun on the employees at Augusta Mall after getting caught stealing. Those were non-minorities. lol.

UncleStrom
UncleStrom 12/20/09 - 09:28 am
charlie, perhaps you should

charlie, perhaps you should read the "Across the Area" column more often.

charliemanson
charliemanson 12/20/09 - 09:33 am
Ok Strom. AC makes everything

Ok Strom. AC makes everything else "Breaking New." You would have thought that those stories would be breaking news.

JohnQPublic
JohnQPublic 12/20/09 - 09:38 am
Men of color?...there were

Men of color?...there were white guys there too! Were they the prostitutes or did they have women prostitutes waiting?

UncleStrom
UncleStrom 12/20/09 - 09:38 am
charlie, I'm with ya there.

charlie, I'm with ya there. But AC is not really a "news" source, it's more of a entertainment daily with all the blogs and feel good columns. That's fine, I go to the other sources in Augusta for hard news. I don't expect to find it here.

overburdened_taxpayer
overburdened_taxpayer 12/20/09 - 09:54 am
"...an ad the police placed

"...an ad the police placed on Craig's List." Posted by UncleStrom on Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:17 AM - Where does it say that anywhere in this article? Or are you just psychic (psychotic)?

tdp
tdp 12/20/09 - 09:57 am
Great job Columbia County

Great job Columbia County Police Deptartment!

UncleStrom
UncleStrom 12/20/09 - 09:58 am
Check WAGT, here is a quote

Check WAGT, here is a quote from their story based on an interview with one of the officers involved. "The team, including an undercover female, listed an ad on craigslist under the “adult services” section." Any more silly questions I can help you with this morning?

UncleStrom
UncleStrom 12/20/09 - 09:59 am
ot, Man, I normally approve

ot, Man, I normally approve of and agree with 99% of what you post. Are you just having a bad morning today?

overburdened_taxpayer
overburdened_taxpayer 12/20/09 - 10:06 am
I just think that you all

I just think that you all sound dumb when you are talking about what crimes to enforce the laws on and what crimes not to. They are ALL crimes. I used to be a booking officer in a local jail and I'd have people come in DUI and could barely stand but some would say that they are not criminals and shouldn't be treated like one and that the POlice should go out and concentrate on REAL criminals instead of citizens. I would look at them and ask them to tell me the one specific crime we should concentrate on so we could leave all the others alone. If it is a crime then it is a crime, victimless or not.

UncleStrom
UncleStrom 12/20/09 - 10:13 am
I agree on the crimes. But

I agree on the crimes. But since it is not reasonable to expect or possible to prevent ALL crimes, then I think the priorities should be aligned based on available resources. And to answer your earlier question, Yes, I have made my opinions clear to my representatives for decades since I first joined NORML in 1976. I don't smoke it any more, but I support their cause. It was fun donating to them via the CFC (Combined Federal Campaign) with direct deduction from my gumment paycheck.