'Super speeders' law adds $200 to ticket

Drivers with lead feet will be left with lighter wallets next year after a new Georgia law targeting "super speeders" goes into effect.

Beginning Jan. 1, anyone traveling 75 mph on the state's two-lane roads or 85 mph on any other road will be charged $200 on top of the normal speeding fine.

"It's going to be a rude awakening for violators," said Columbia County sheriff's Capt. Steve Morris.

Ticketed drivers will pay their local fine, and then the information will be sent to the Department of Driver Services, where officials will determine whether the new law was violated. If it was, they will send out a separate bill for $200, explained Katie Fallon, of the Georgia Governor's Office of Highway Safety. The money raised from the fine will go to the state's trauma care hospital system. About 60 percent of all trauma-care patients are victims of car crashes, according to www.superspeedergeorgia.org, a state Web site.

"If there are grumblings -- people say it's a tax in disguise -- but it's not about raising revenue," Ms. Fallon said. "We want people to slow down."

In Columbia County, Capt. Morris said, deputies are most likely to catch drivers traveling at "super speeds" on Columbia Road, Belair Road, Washington Road and Interstate 20.

In Augusta, drivers are most likely to reach speeds of 85 mph on Bobby Jones Expressway and Interstate 20, said Richmond County sheriff's Maj. Richard Weaver. On two-lane roads -- where motorists only have to reach speeds of 75 mph to activate the additional fine -- violators are more widespread.

"On regular state routes you find people going 75 -- that's not a rarity," he said. "So I can see where the law would help."

Maj. Weaver said he thinks an additional fine during a time of economic hardship in the state will cause people to question their speeds.

"When you're going to hit somebody in their pockets like that, if anything is going to get them to slow down, that should," Maj. Weaver said.

Reach Adam Folk at (706) 823-3339 or adam.folk@augustachronicle.com.

GGpap
GGpap 12/20/09 - 04:40 am
Folks often complain that the

Folks often complain that the enforcement of traffic laws is somewhat lax. How much would you care to wager that this is one that WILL BE strictly enforced; earmarked revenue makes the difference. Could be a gold mine! I like this one! GGpap

justus4
justus4 12/20/09 - 06:39 am
Oh, oh. This is troubling.

Oh, oh. This is troubling. This will adversely affect U knwo who, because such monetary incentives most likely will influence some (po po) to be less than honest about true speeds. How can the citizen actually verify the actual speed? We are left with "trust us" and we know how thats working out...OK, then have every speeding charge recorded to verify the speeds and satisfy the public that these increases are not backdoor revenues streams. That sound fair enough, but watch the reaction from just suggesting such a thing. This is government intrusion disguised as safety...having lived in Europe and experienced the enjoyment of man & machine, these insane rules about speed are infringements on freedom, not law and order. Great country, eh?

rbk
rbk 12/20/09 - 06:44 am
I hope they catch a lot of

I hope they catch a lot of them. It really irritates me to have people tailgate me while I am observing the posted speed limit, then take chances to zoom around me when they see a little opening whether it is safe to pass or not. Many times, when I see a place coming up where I can pull over and let them by, I do just that, but it means I have to slow down to pull over, so that means they have to slow down too until I get pulled over.

johnston.cliff
johnston.cliff 12/20/09 - 06:59 am
Ah-h, a speeding hate crime

Ah-h, a speeding hate crime law. Hate crime laws always work. I wonder if a "public indecency" hate crime fee for baggy pants would help.

johnston.cliff
johnston.cliff 12/20/09 - 07:02 am
I know what you mean

I know what you mean Concerned Taxpayer. I react almost the same way, except I just slow down. The longer I'm tailgated, the slower I get, but I never pull over. I've had plenty of anxious fools follow me at 30 mph on state roads and never backed off my bumper. At 30mph, I'm never irritated.

JohnTaurus
JohnTaurus 12/20/09 - 07:07 am
The police are "revenue

The police are "revenue collectors". They are there to collect money for a bankrupt state. They have quotas to meet. They must issue x amount of citations per shift/week. The police are no longer friends of the citizens but armed robbers who work for the state. The judges also work for the state. Where does that leave the citizen?

overburdened_taxpayer
overburdened_taxpayer 12/20/09 - 07:48 am
There are no county law

There are no county law enforcement agencies in this area that have a quota on tickets. They don't need them. People are stupid enough to give them more and more reason to pull them over and issue a ticket for legal infractions of the law.

wildman
wildman 12/20/09 - 07:56 am
Another BS move by

Another BS move by government. John Taurus, good comment.

overburdened_taxpayer
overburdened_taxpayer 12/20/09 - 08:01 am
Apparently you haven't

Apparently you haven't noticed all the screwed up drivers in the area. Or you are one of them.

whocareswhatyouthink
whocareswhatyouthink 12/20/09 - 09:11 am
Leave it to the Republicans

Leave it to the Republicans to find new and creative ways to screw the little guy....

Junket831
Junket831 12/20/09 - 09:17 am
If they really are worried

If they really are worried about safety then why not increase the fines for repeat offenders. In reality it seems more people are injured at stop lights then through speeding alone. Maybe they should increase the fine for running a red light.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 12/20/09 - 09:21 am
In 53 years of driving in 38

In 53 years of driving in 38 states, 5 foreign countries I have never received a speeding ticket. Before someone yells at me for being the one that holds up traffic, your wrong. I break the law every day by driving at the flow of traffic. If there is no traffic, I will violate the speed law by no more than 7 miles per hour. What get me is when you see law enforcement officers given someone a speeding ticket, the traffice pass him are all beaking the law. The law is the law right and shouldn't anybady breaking the law be caught. If two people go into bi-lo at the same time and rob it and one is caught, that means the other one can go free, right. If all speeding violators were just fined between the hours of 0730 to 0830 AM on I-20 alone, Columbia and Richmond county would have one heck of a slush fund. There is one advantage to speeding on I-20. If everyone was to follow the speed limit, let say from Appling Exit to the State line every morning between 07:30 to 08:30, you would have traffic backed all the way to the Thompson Exit. It happens every time you have an enforcement vehicle in the fast lane doing it. (It is rare because they are going 85).

Runner46
Runner46 12/20/09 - 09:28 am
CG, I could not have said it

CG, I could not have said it better. I hope the scofflaws out their get the message.

humbleopinion
humbleopinion 12/20/09 - 09:30 am
I agree with the new law. As

I agree with the new law. As someone who travels extensively every year on many back roads, I have seen my share of tragic accidents, many caused by excessive speed. I too drive over the speed limit, but no more than 10% and never receive a ticket. I've rolled through many radar traps and have never been given a second glance. 75 mph or more on a two lane highway is dangerous...Period. I will have to say that there are many stretches of Interstate Highways that should have the limit increased to 80 mph as they are in very rural areas with a limited amount of traffic and that should be studied as well. I also believe that drivers caught TEXTING while driving should have their license suspended. THAT is one of the most dangerous activities while operating a vehicle that can be done.
There is too little education in driving skills these days. I've been driving for better than 35 years and have even taken performance driving classes in my younger days. I raced a Fiat in SCCA events for awhile and there are driving skills that ALL should be taught. Merry Christmas!

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 12/20/09 - 09:33 am
If this goes into effect and

If this goes into effect and is enforced, justus4 will have his claws fully extended at you know who. Just a daily observation and just my opinion, but 60% of the cars that are tailgating me while I am doing 76 miles per hour on I-20 are driven by blacks. I know I am racist.

JAndy
JAndy 12/20/09 - 09:41 am
Justus4, I could see where

Justus4, I could see where your concern would have influence on the (in your words) Po Po if the money was designated to their departments benefit. However, the only state entity it is going to assist is the states trauma care hospital system. You know that place where they will take your family in case a stupid, careless, inconsiderate driver takes out half your family. If Europe is so great, move back. John Taurus Where this leaves the citizen is in a state of mind. You have choices in this world. You either do what is right or do what is wrong. You don't break the law and face (influenced by your words) The "God Fathers of your local crime syndicates", then you don't have to pay any other taxes other than your usual taxes. Choices either have rewards or consequences. You choose to break the law, you pay the consequences. From your poor mouth comment about government sounds like you had fractured a law or two and got caught. Laws are on the table to keep the honest man honest.
Who cares, the little guy gets screwed, if he screws up.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 12/20/09 - 09:41 am
humbleopinion, Lets not only

humbleopinion, Lets not only attack TEXTING, Lets add putting on lip stick, fixing your eyebrows, painting your toe nails, looking through your hand held suit case, fixing your lunch and taking your hand of the steering wheel to give you a finger.

gamach1
gamach1 12/20/09 - 09:49 am
How about a law for the folks

How about a law for the folks that get in the left lane on I-20 and go under the speed limit, or the ones that can't drive the speed limit on Fury's Ferry every morning. That is my pet peeve, the speed limit is 55 and they drive 40 -45. UGH!

bonqui
bonqui 12/20/09 - 09:52 am
After reading all these

After reading all these comments, I have noticed that one major point was missed. There is nothing in the bill that says the revenue has to go for the trauma center. READ THE ACTUAL BILL! We have to trust the general assembly to appropriate the funds later on--like that's going to happen!

overburdened_taxpayer
overburdened_taxpayer 12/20/09 - 09:58 am
gamach1 - the posted minimum

gamach1 - the posted minimum speed is 40 on I-20. Don't like it, get it changed.

overburdened_taxpayer
overburdened_taxpayer 12/20/09 - 10:15 am
Since there are no Rants &

Since there are no Rants & Raves today - how is that global warming working for the northeast today?

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 12/20/09 - 10:26 am
It only the fight of global

It only the fight of global warming, HOT air meeting COLD air.

overburdened_taxpayer
overburdened_taxpayer 12/20/09 - 10:33 am
Yup so warm today that

Yup so warm today that millions of people are shut in on the last shopping weekend before Christmas. Since we don't have to use that money to lower the temp now maybe we can subsidize merchants who lost money due to cooling.

getalife
getalife 12/20/09 - 10:39 am
The global warming continues

The global warming continues with all states above Georgia and South Carolina having 8 to 24 inches of snow.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 12/20/09 - 10:43 am
Just remember, Global warming

Just remember, Global warming will dry up all this snow and make it a desert as it makes it way to the North Pole.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 12/20/09 - 10:46 am
Breaking News: Just heard

Breaking News: Just heard that the left is going to fine cities receiving more than 6" of snow because they are fighting the Global Warming.

fatboyhog
1944
fatboyhog 12/20/09 - 11:01 am
Whew...I thought justus4 was

Whew...I thought justus4 was going to say that it was going to unfairly target "you know who" because "you know who" likes to speed and blatantly violate the law and then accuse the po po of targeting "you know who". Btw, have you ever seen the aftermath of a high-speed collision? If speeders only killed themselves, I'd say leave 'em be. But they don't. The carelessness of speeders kills others. I say fine the mess out of them!

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 12/20/09 - 11:01 am
Has anybody noticed that the

Has anybody noticed that the majority of the low end speed freaks (50- 55 milers) in the left lane have a wheel chair picture on their license plate, or is it just me being racist?

Bubblesup
Bubblesup 12/20/09 - 11:23 am
How does a wheelchair picture

How does a wheelchair picture equate to racism?

jb5365
jb5365 12/20/09 - 11:27 am
What upsets me is the left

What upsets me is the left lane jerk riding next to a right lane jerk and creating a "rolling roadblock". There should be a special fine for that sort of assininety. That makes speeders out of others trying to rid themselves of "do-gooders" that think it their right to inhibit my freedom...

Scots reject independence in historic vote

EDINBURGH, Scotland — Scottish voters have rejected independence, deciding to remain part of the United Kingdom after a historic referendum that shook the country to its core.