Evans graduate takes third on dance show

Kathryn McCormick's bid to become "America's Favorite Dancer" came up just short.

Back | Next
Kathryn McCormick  Special
Special
Kathryn McCormick

The dancer from Martinez placed third in the night's season finale of So You Think You Can Dance, a popular reality competition on Fox.

Ms. McCormick, a 19-year-old contemporary dancer who graduated from Evans High School last year, was one of six competitors vying for the title. She was the fourth finalist eliminated before Russell Ferguson, a 20-year-old hip-hop dancer from Boston, was named the show's sixth champion. Jakob Karr came in second.

"This has been something that I will never forget," Ms. McCormick told host Cat Deeley during the telecast. "This has been unlike anything I ever imagined for myself. I'm so blessed and so thankful that I was able to share it with every one of you."

Mr. Ferguson won by receiving the most call-in votes from viewers after the finalists' performances aired Tuesday night. He will get $250,000 and be featured on the cover of the March issue of Dance Spirit magazine.

Despite her finish, Ms. McCormick earned a big prize as a top-10 finisher. The top 10 dancers will take part in a nationwide tour next year.

In Augusta on Wednesday night, supporters of Ms. McCormick packed Wild Wing Cafe on Washington Road to watch the results show. When it was announced that she finished in third, the crowd let out a collective sigh.

"It's just sad, but she's still going to go far," said Brina Setzke, who attended high school with Ms. McCormick and voted 10 times for her friend. "I think she should have taken it."

Constance Parks, who lived across the street from Ms. McCormick for 14 years, said she badly wanted her to win, but that she was still proud of her.

"She made it a long way," she said.

Reach Jason Langbehn or Gracie Shepherd at (706) 724-0851.

belle
belle 12/17/09 - 07:46 am
Can't think of another young

Can't think of another young lady I know who deserved this more. She did WONDERFULLY!! Third in the midst of those talents she was up against is a fantastic outcome.

MrOrlet
MrOrlet 12/17/09 - 08:11 am
She was brilliant, and

She was brilliant, and finishing in the top three in that group was really "splitting hairs". Nevertheless, she still owns the "best female" award. Congratulations to Kathryn and her family for a job exceptionally well done and to Augusta West Dance Studio for developing and encouraging such an amazing talent.

tnjsw
tnjsw 12/17/09 - 08:50 am
This is the problem with

This is the problem with letting the public decide the winner. Talent takes a back seat. The judges should have the last word. I think we all see why this ended like it did. Strictly on mass vote, not quality vote. The true talent finished third.

soccerfan
soccerfan 12/17/09 - 09:06 am
I agree tnjsw. Although I

I agree tnjsw. Although I don't know her or had ever seen her dance prior to this show, she was by far the best dancer of them all!

Galan Lewis
Galan Lewis 12/17/09 - 10:58 am
I could not agree more. I

I could not agree more. I did my part in voting last night, I believe that we voted at least 30 times each in our household. She should have won it all, she was so much more talented than Russell and Jakob.

grinder48
2017
grinder48 12/17/09 - 11:39 am
The method used to determine

The method used to determine the winner only determines who had the most people who voted ... many time voting multiple times. It's not a true indication of who's best. This would be true no matter who won. I don't mean this to sound like sour grapes from CSRA because CSRA favorite didn't win, it's simply fact and would have been so even if Ms. McCormick had won. But no matter what, Ms. McCormick did a fantastic job and was - and will continue to be - a wonderful representative of our area. Congratulations Kathryn, WELL DONE!

poohbear1964
poohbear1964 12/17/09 - 01:38 pm
Although Katherine is a great

Although Katherine is a great dancer, you can't leave out the fact that Russell, who is a krumper, who has not had any professional dance training, came out and showed the world that he can be versatile in more than just one dance style. He worked extra hard like the others, he wanted to learn, he wanted to show that he could fit in any dance style and not just be categorized in just one style. I'm glad that he won, i think that he deserved it!!!! If they could have had a male and female winner, then yes Katherine should have won for the ladies. As a matter of fact, I had hoped it would have been between her and Russell. She did well, but in the end Russell prevailed. I am proud of him, proud of them all that even got a chance to be in the final six.

KathrynDavis
KathrynDavis 12/17/09 - 06:52 pm
I wonder what the actual

I wonder what the actual voting numbers were, as well as, how they were tallied!!

sassygirl12
sassygirl12 12/17/09 - 08:30 pm
well i think that she did do

well i think that she did do a great job and as i said and of course i was right ( again ) i knew that she was not going to win because a woman won last year and they were not going to let that happen again this year..and i knew that it would be a man and i am not being racist when i say this beacuse russell was awesome. but they do have to mix this thing up with the men, the women, and the races. in fact they all are winners because not one of them did better than the other one to me..they all were great. and they all will move on from this. just not in there home state