Swine flu vaccines are questionable

My grandchildren came home from elementary school with a fact sheet about the H1N1 vaccine they will be giving in the schools now, and a form to allow or decline a shot for your child. When I read the sheet, my concerns increased in regard to the safety of all children who will take the shot.

Here are facts that I am familiar with:

- It has not been tested long enough to say it is safe.

- The sheet says that the vaccine contains thimerosal, but doesn't state that it's mercury, the second-most toxic element on Earth. The H1N1 has 25 micrograms of mercury, way beyond the amount in parts per billion that the EPA allows in our drinking water. There also are other toxins in the vaccine.

- The facts say there are no studies showing a connection between thimerosal and autism. They then refer to a 2004 Institute of Medicine study that refutes the claim. Even the former director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says the study was flawed and should not be used as proof of this. There are numerous studies showing a connection, done by reputable scientists and doctors in peer-reviewed journals.

- The information states not to take the vaccine if you are allergic to thimerosal, eggs etc. Everyone is allergic to thimerosal and the other toxins in the vaccine. They threaten the immune system's ability to function properly.

- The facts let us know that risk of vaccine injury is very small. However, there are already hundreds of severe reactions that have been filed on special forms, including seizures following vaccination.

- Facts state that bad reactions occur within minutes or hours after the shot. This is not true. Reactions can occur days, weeks or possibly months later.

- The sheet comments about the filing of a claim if vaccine injury occurs. However, it doesn't tell us that there will be no possibility with the H1N1 vaccine to claim compensation for serious injury because the government has given complete immunity to the vaccine makers if such an event happens.

Maurine Meleck

North Augusta, S.C.

TechLover
TechLover 12/09/09 - 08:25 am
Ms Meleck's scientific

Ms Meleck's scientific credentials are questionable. It is sad that children have autism and I understand the desire to look for an answer. The simple fact is that vaccines save lives and there is no evidece that links them to autism. Claiming vaccines as the boogeyman and embracing the pseudoscience of the anti vaccine crowd does no one any good. It does not answer the why for who have autism and it may scare people away from life saving vaccines. It seems the biggest proponents of the anti vaccine crowd are celebrities and the same type of "doctors" who sell colon cleansers and other quackey to "detox" your body. Neither of whom would I trust for medical decisions.

corgimom
corgimom 12/09/09 - 08:52 am
Vaccines did not cause my

Vaccines did not cause my child's autism. And I've gotten vaccinations since infancy. I don't have autism either. If vaccines cause autism, why is it that in countries where children don't get vaccinated, they have autistic children?

afadel
afadel 12/09/09 - 09:27 am
My understanding is that

My understanding is that vaccine manufacturers are immune from claims, but there is a special fund the federal government operates to adjudicate claims and pay awards.

SC-LSU-Fan
SC-LSU-Fan 12/09/09 - 10:19 am
Vaccines didn't cause my

Vaccines didn't cause my child's autism either. I have 2 kids, and they both will continue to be vaccinated because I would never be able to live with myself if my child died from something that could have been prevented. And Afadel is right about the vaccine injury claims. There is a special fund if there is proof that the vaccine caused injury.

corgimom
corgimom 12/09/09 - 12:14 pm
I'm thinking I drink a whole

I'm thinking I drink a whole lot more water than flu vaccine, but that's just me. And the mercury that in a multi-dose vial is 25 micrograms IN MASS- meaning weight- and that is far different than water, which is measured in VOLUME. But don't confuse her with the facts.

Schnitzel
Schnitzel 12/09/09 - 05:03 pm
I'm not sure what Ms. Meleck

I'm not sure what Ms. Meleck thinks she was reading, but the Institute of Medicine report I found (http://www.nap.edu/catalog.php?record_id=10997) concludes that the evidence shows that vaccines are NOT linked to autism. Go see for yourself. Given that Ms. Meleck so completely mischaracterized this report, what does that say about the veracity of anything else she wrote?

strangedaysindeed
strangedaysindeed 12/09/09 - 05:46 pm
considering I know firsthand

considering I know firsthand of 2 children who died from H1N1 flu, I had no qualms about taking the shot, making sure my children had my grandchildren take it, and I made sure my youngest daughter got it. None of us had any adverse reactions at all from the vaccine. I'm sure the parents of the 2 children I know of who passed away wish every day that the vaccine had been available before their children were exposed to the flu, that the outcome could have been different for them. I was on pins and needles waiting for the vaccine to arrive.

johnston.cliff
johnston.cliff 12/09/09 - 06:16 pm
mass means weight? I guess my

mass means weight? I guess my science is out of date. It's probably a lcd definition that fits all occasions. I guess that's what it means when making vaccines. Ain't government education swell?

corgimom
corgimom 12/09/09 - 06:59 pm
I got a cold sore, a runny

I got a cold sore, a runny nose, and muscle aches. 24 hours later, I was fine.

corgimom
corgimom 12/09/09 - 07:00 pm
Hey, I received an excellent

Hey, I received an excellent public school education. ASU was a breeze.

soldout
soldout 12/09/09 - 11:01 pm
The world health organization

The world health organization has stated that vaccines have done very little to eliminate disease or even the medical community. They say by far the majority of all improvement in health in the last 200 years was because of better sanitation.

Maurine your letter is excellent. Those trained in NAET are correcting electrical problems in austic children daily for reactions to vaccinations and seeing improvements. If the vaccination didn't cause the problem you couldn't help the child by correcting the damage it has done.

They do the same for swine flu everyday also.

This report talks about the miscarriages or other problems with the vaccinations.

Everyone has the right to choose what they put in their body but they need to know both sides of the story. I never call those who are pro-vaccination names but I get attacked all the time for my positions. If people believe they are right they shouldn't be insecure of what they promote. I can't even tell all that NAET can do because not one person reading this would believe it.

wbbh
wbbh 12/11/09 - 06:12 am
It's just wonderful all you

It's just wonderful all you anti vaccination fools were not around when mankind eliminated the scourge of Smallpox with a VACCINE.

Oh and how may case of polio would we have today if there were not a vaccination for that terrible disease. Most don't have a clue about science or proving an idea, coincidence is not cause.

Many black colleges struggling

Although Paine has struggled with its own failures over the past several years, HBCUs across the nation are dealing with some of the same troubles that are threatening their missions and existence.