What's wrong with 'merry Christmas'?

Recently I enjoyed a serendipity when I discovered that the U.S. Postal Service has not been intimidated by those who demand that the word "Christmas" not be used publicly during the Christmas season lest someone be "offended." They are offering attractive stamps featuring the Madonna and Child, and the word "Christmas."

You know, it is really all right to wish a fellow Christian a merry Christmas, a Jewish friend a happy Hanukkah or a Muslim friend a blessed Ramadan. Also, it is OK to greet nonbelievers who enjoy a secular Christmas with a "merry Christmas" wish. I really don't see how anyone could be offended by such greetings, unless he or she simply becomes offended whenever they can't have their way.

Daniel McCall

Augusta

sdfsdf
sdfsdf 12/07/09 - 11:38 am
Then we should do away with

Then we should do away with the "Good morning" greeting and just state "Morning." Someone may enjoy non good mornings and we'd be offending them by showing just how chipper we are. How condescending and rude of us. How about some common courtesy and be sensitive to those not having a good morning and liking it? Now lets make it a law. If not, we should at least expect private business to comply.

usagsrcit
usagsrcit 12/07/09 - 12:31 pm
Ho; Ho; Ho! Merry Christmas

Ho; Ho; Ho! Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all. C'omon Dancer and Prancer. Rudolf the red nosed reindeer and Santa. The time for caring and sharing.The spirit of Christmas is celebrated all over the world. Some attend religious services and others enjoy celebrating as they choose. Freedom of choice its an American tradition. My grandparents did not go to church but he always read the bible. My father knelt on his knees before going to bed. My mother went to Christmas midnight services and my father joined her in later years. I do not recall total emphasis on religion. The tree with maybe an angel was always surrounded with presents and we ate all kinds of traditional foods, turkey the center again. Outside were colored lights and the view of the tree and Santa on the front door. Family gatherings. The snow. The smell of the food. The gifts. The peaceful joyful spirit of it all. Merry Christmas.

mommie2
mommie2 12/07/09 - 01:31 pm
Ramadan is around October.

Ramadan is around October.

anotherday
anotherday 12/07/09 - 01:32 pm
To all- Merry Christmas and a

To all- Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!!!! When I lived in a Muslim country the muslims and I said whatever the proper greeting in their language for the holiday then ours. We made a point to teach each other. Would this happen in every Muslim country? No, but it worked for my friends and I. We have became so da***n sensitive here! Don't ever shorten Christmas to X-mas or you will be attacked, even if it was innocent!

Dora.Ito
Dora.Ito 12/07/09 - 01:36 pm
mommie2, Ramadan is

mommie2, Ramadan is calculated using the lunar calendar and the dates will be different every year.

yellow cat
yellow cat 12/07/09 - 01:46 pm
Some people are going to

Some people are going to complain no matter what. I say to ___ with them.

dstewartsr
20393
dstewartsr 12/07/09 - 02:40 pm
Not true; scream "Allahu

Not true; scream "Allahu Akbar!" in people's faces. You are not allowed to be then offended. On pain of murder. By just and peace-loving Muslims.

bdittle
bdittle 12/07/09 - 03:28 pm
We Christians stole the

We Christians stole the Pagan's winter solstice celebration of rebirth and called it Christmas. So anyway, Merry Christmas and relax about the Happy Holidays. That is a nice sentiment too.

SnidleyWhiplash
SnidleyWhiplash 12/07/09 - 03:39 pm
Well said bdittle!

Well said bdittle!

RIPAmerica
RIPAmerica 12/07/09 - 04:17 pm
"You keep Christmas in your

"You keep Christmas in your way and I'll keep it in my own." Ebenezer Scrooge, A Christmas Carol, Charles Dickens.

FallingLeaves
FallingLeaves 12/07/09 - 04:39 pm
Just don't expect to find the

Just don't expect to find the religious stamps in the post offices in stores, I already checked the usual places. You can only get them at the post office. The other stores will have Christmas Season stamps, but not the religious ones.

ArtCollector
ArtCollector 12/07/09 - 05:22 pm
whats wrong with 'happy

whats wrong with 'happy holidays'?

baronvonreich
baronvonreich 12/07/09 - 05:30 pm
The problem is that most

The problem is that most Christians don't respect the opinions of others. That is why America was founded to get away from the oppressive, hateful, violent, intolerable Christians.

Doyougetitnow
Doyougetitnow 12/07/09 - 05:31 pm
Actually, the Xmas thing

Actually, the Xmas thing evolved as a sign of the cross, so Xmas is not derogatory really. It was Xmas (Christ Mass) before it was Christmas. Somewhere around the time of the King James rewrite of the Bible, Dec. 25th was chosen to coincide with Winter Solstice (around Dec 21st) to convert pagan (Wiccan, Druid primarily) religions. Hence the tree. Merry Christmas. As near as I can tell, from what I've read, heard & seen, Jesus was actually born in March or April (by our calendar). Once again, Merry Christmas.

Ken
Ken 12/07/09 - 06:38 pm
We wish you a Merry

We wish you a Merry Christmas
We wish you a Merry Christmas
We wish you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year
Good tidings we bring to you and your kin
Good tidings for Christmas and a Happy New Year

Oh, bring us a figgy pudding
Oh, bring us a figgy pudding
Oh, bring us a figgy pudding and a cup of good cheer
We won't go until we get some
We won't go until we get some
We won't go until we get some, so bring some out here

We wish you a Merry Christmas
We wish you a Merry Christmas
We wish you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Ken
Ken 12/07/09 - 06:40 pm
O Christmas Tree! O Christmas

O Christmas Tree! O Christmas Tree!
Thy leaves are so unchanging;
O Christmas Tree! O Christmas Tree!
Thy leaves are so unchanging;
Not only green when summer's here,
But also when 'tis cold and drear.
O Christmas Tree! O Christmas Tree!
Thy leaves are so unchanging!

Ken
Ken 12/07/09 - 06:42 pm
Silent night, holy night All

Silent night, holy night
All is calm, all is bright
Round yon Virgin Mother and Child
Holy Infant so tender and mild
Sleep in heavenly peace
Sleep in heavenly peace

Antknee
Antknee 12/07/09 - 06:43 pm
God is here with us all.

God is here with us all. Merry Christmas to all and may you have a blessed Christmas!

Harmonielehre
Harmonielehre 12/07/09 - 07:45 pm
I'm not christian and for

I'm not christian and for some reason I'm not offended when someone says "Merry Christmas!" to me. Rather than thinking, "THEY ARE FORCING THEIR RELIGION ON ME!" I think, "Wow that is a very nice a considerate thing of them to say to a complete stranger..."

JohnQPublic
JohnQPublic 12/07/09 - 08:25 pm
merry christmas!!!!!

merry christmas!!!!!

InChristLove
InChristLove 12/07/09 - 08:35 pm
Harmonielechre, you have the

Harmonielechre, you have the right attitude! Hope you and your family have a very Merry Christmas!

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 12/07/09 - 09:59 pm
Harmon, you hit the nail on

Harmon, you hit the nail on the head. Its not something to be offended over and if they are, they really to get over themselves. I know if I get lip from someone about it, they won't like my response and wish they would have happily accepted my first good wishes!! lol

Students train to be first-responders

It might seem very intense for a training scenario, but the instructors of A.R. Johnson's Teen Community Emergency Response Class believe stress and realism are the best teachers.