What's wrong with 'merry Christmas'?

Recently I enjoyed a serendipity when I discovered that the U.S. Postal Service has not been intimidated by those who demand that the word "Christmas" not be used publicly during the Christmas season lest someone be "offended." They are offering attractive stamps featuring the Madonna and Child, and the word "Christmas."

You know, it is really all right to wish a fellow Christian a merry Christmas, a Jewish friend a happy Hanukkah or a Muslim friend a blessed Ramadan. Also, it is OK to greet nonbelievers who enjoy a secular Christmas with a "merry Christmas" wish. I really don't see how anyone could be offended by such greetings, unless he or she simply becomes offended whenever they can't have their way.

Daniel McCall

Augusta

Dudleydudley
Dudleydudley 12/07/09 - 04:05 am
In other news, Daniel McCall

In other news, Daniel McCall is easily offended by the greeting "Happy Holidays"

overburdened_taxpayer
overburdened_taxpayer 12/07/09 - 07:04 am
I think the real problem is

I think the real problem is that stores mandate what an employee greets with because they are afraid of offending a customer whether the employee wants to greet with Merry Christmas or as dudley puts it - Happy Holidays. This was never a real problem until about 20 years ago when the "politically correct" crowd moved in.And we all have seen what being politically correct can do to ruin things.

nofrills
nofrills 12/07/09 - 07:11 am
This country was based on

This country was based on freedom! So I am free to wish who I want a Merry Christmas! Now if I wish you a merry christmas and you dont like it then ignore it.

southernguy08
southernguy08 12/07/09 - 07:44 am
Despite what the idiot in the

Despite what the idiot in the White House says, this country is still primarily a Christian nation. I wouldn't say this in Saudi Arabia or Iran, but then I wouldn't be in those dirtbag countries either. I agree with NOFRILLS. You don't like it? Ignore it.

specialist
specialist 12/07/09 - 07:50 am
AMEN southernguy08

AMEN southernguy08

johnston.cliff
johnston.cliff 12/07/09 - 08:16 am
Merry Christmas to everyone

Merry Christmas to everyone who wishes to have one. To those who wish to spend all of their time complaining about p.c. b.s., well, so be it. Personally, I intend to have a Merry Christmas AND a happy New Year.

stillamazed
stillamazed 12/07/09 - 08:26 am
We are becoming more

We are becoming more communist by the moment, freedom of speach will be no more if we allow it to happen, people need to get thicker skin and stop being so sensitive and taking things so personal....Thank you johnston.cliff I'm right there with you. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.....

overburdened_taxpayer
overburdened_taxpayer 12/07/09 - 08:34 am
It always has been Merry

It always has been Merry Christmas and always will be Merry Christmas. Now with that said - Merry Christmas to one and all.

TrukinRanger
TrukinRanger 12/07/09 - 09:24 am
sounds like Mr.McCall is

sounds like Mr.McCall is upset because he isn't getting HIS way....

CoastalDawg
CoastalDawg 12/07/09 - 09:34 am
The date of December 25 has

The date of December 25 has long been recognized as the celebration of the birth of Jesus Christ. Channukah usually falls within the same season and some made up another post Chritmas holiday a few years ago, Kwanza for which the meaning and reason is understood by a minority of the people. Happy holidays is a creation of the politically correct who want to get your money but ignore the reason for the season. Merry Christmas signifies that reason by it's very name, CHRISTmas. As has been said, if you don't want to observe Christmas, that is your choice, but the Christians of this country ARE observing. If it wasn't for Christmas many merchants and recipients of gifts and good deeds would be out in the cold. Unfortunately the day has been politicized and commercialized until Christ ALMOST gets lost, ie Merry Xmas, a definite NO NO. So to all of you I wish a Merry Christmas or Happy Chanukkah if you are of the Jewish faith. God bless America and may her flag wave in freedom for many more years to come in spite of the declaration from the some time resident of the White House that we are no longer a Christian nation. The country's founding documents declare otherwise.

InChristLove
InChristLove 12/07/09 - 09:36 am
On January 1 we say Happy New

On January 1 we say Happy New Year, on July 4th we say "Happy" 4th of July, in October we say "Happy" Halloween, in November we say "Happy" Thanksgiving so why is it that in December we can't say Merry Christmas. Christmas is the holiday for that month, so maybe we should start saying "Happy Christmas". That way secular individuals can have their "Happy" and the ones who still celebrate the real reason for the season get Christmas. Everyone's "HAPPY". Merry Christmas to All.

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/07/09 - 09:42 am
I think I still have my

I think I still have my freedom of speech,,,thanks to the many men & women in the service..MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE.

slippery 25
slippery 25 12/07/09 - 09:48 am
It is hard to shop in stores

It is hard to shop in stores having Christmas sales but won't let their people say Merry Christmas!

RIPAmerica
RIPAmerica 12/07/09 - 09:48 am
I make it a point to respond

I make it a point to respond to "Happy Holidays" with a hearty "Merry Christmas". No one's shot me yet.... yet.

terry67
terry67 12/07/09 - 09:52 am
I think I still have my

Posted by seenitB4 on Mon Dec 7, 2009 8:42 AM I agree!!!! Thanks to our brave and honorable service men and women, we have the right to say MERRY CHRISTMAS AND HAPPY NEW YEAR!
And don't forget this day of DECEMBER 7th is a day we all should remember and reflect on to honor those who lost their lives at Pearl Harbor!

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 12/07/09 - 09:57 am
What it boils down to is that

What it boils down to is that there is in America a cadre of self-centered whiners whose sole satisfaction and goal in life is to be offended. Our legal system has devolved, because we have no penalty for frivolous lawsuits, into some kind of hyper-expensive lottery, businesses try not to offend the odd atheist or tree worshipper, by seeming to underwrite any particular belief which they might be forced -- at exorbitant expense -- to either defend in court, or buy off. It's a simple good business decision, which should sadden us all.

RIPAmerica
RIPAmerica 12/07/09 - 10:31 am
What do you call 50,000

What do you call 50,000 American lawyers buried at sea? A good start.

themaninthemirror
themaninthemirror 12/07/09 - 10:32 am
There will come a day, when

There will come a day, when those that do not believe, will find out, that there really is a Christ.

amazed1
amazed1 12/07/09 - 10:38 am
Christmas is a christian

Christmas is a christian holiday. If all you secular people don't like it, you should find youselves another time to celebrate whatever it is that you celebrate.

teharper428
teharper428 12/07/09 - 10:41 am
April 6, 2009, press

April 6, 2009, press conference in Turkey, President Obama's FULL quote concerning America and religion: "And I've said before that one of the great strengths of the United States is - although as I mentioned, we have a very large Christian population, we do not consider ourselves a Christian nation or a Jewish nation or a Muslim nation; we consider ourselves a nation of citizens who are bound by ideals and a set of values."

teharper428
teharper428 12/07/09 - 10:49 am
The Constitution contains no

The Constitution contains no mention of Christianity. In fact the Constitution only refers to religion twice in the First Amendment, which bars laws "respecting an establishment of religion or prohibiting the free exercise thereof,' and in Article VI, which prohibits "religious tests" for public office.

teharper428
teharper428 12/07/09 - 10:55 am
Good God, this happens every

Good God, this happens every year, people get their panties in a wad over the greeting of Merry Christmas vs Happy Holidays. Either phrase is just a verbal "feel good" comment made to our fellow man/woman. Just say thanks and the same to you and then STFU, Ho ho ho.

TechLover
TechLover 12/07/09 - 10:56 am
I haven't heard anything

I haven't heard anything about the government barring people from saying merry Christmas. I have heard of PRIVATE, CAPITALIST businesses requiring their employees to say happy holidays. Strange how people are screaming communism when it's private businesses that are doing this.

sunnyday
sunnyday 12/07/09 - 11:00 am
Christmas is a legal,

Christmas is a legal, national holiday. It shouldn't be criminal to wish someone a Merry Christmas, no matter what faith. Those who are offended should instead be happy that the person who wished them a "Merry Christmas" acknowledged them in the first place. Why waste time whining and worrying about things that just aren't that important?

teharper428
teharper428 12/07/09 - 11:07 am
Good point, TechLover. But

Good point, TechLover. But of course now you've invited those with "proof" that the Obama White House insists on using the term "holiday tree." To beat this falsehood to the punch, check out, "Holiday Tree" Hooey at: http://www.factcheck.org/2009/10/holiday-tree-hooey/

sdfsdf
sdfsdf 12/07/09 - 11:19 am
Are the "offended by

Are the "offended by Christmas folks" offended that there are Christmas sales? If so, I would hope they never show up for one. Even if retailers take the name "Christmas" out of the sale, it's not a coincidence that the sale is right before Christmas, December 25, so who's being fooled? Are the "offended by Christmas folks" offended when their employer's give them Christmas off, and sometimes as a paid holiday? I would hope they show up for work in protest and give the money back. For those who are offended, they should not reap any of the benefits of Christmas either. Have them show their offended or not offended by Christmas government issued cards at retailers, and see how long it takes them to pipe down with this silliness. Offended by Christmas? You get the non-Christmas retail price. Offended by Christmas? You gotta work that day. I don't care that there are all kinds out there, I just care that our goofy government feels the need to cater to the whims of the ridiculous.

disssman
disssman 12/07/09 - 11:58 am
Just so we don't offend

Just so we don't offend anyone, I would suggest a law making it mandatory for devoutees to have their religion tattooed on their foreheads. That way we would never be in doubt as to what to say during the holidays.

SC-LSU-Fan
SC-LSU-Fan 12/07/09 - 12:12 pm
What if every store you went

What if every store you went to the clerk told you "Happy Channukah!!"? You people would be up in arms screaming for a boycot of those stores!! Happy Holidays is not to take Christ out of Christmas, it's to respect all religions! I am a Christian, and I celebrate Christmas. But I have Jewish friends who do not. And I respect their right to celebrate their holiday as we do ours!

butler123
butler123 12/07/09 - 12:18 pm
85% of non-christians join in

85% of non-christians join in the christmas festivities. At least the whole Santa thing or in some way.

SnidleyWhiplash
SnidleyWhiplash 12/07/09 - 12:23 pm
OK, first of all, Christmas

OK, first of all, Christmas is NOT a "christian" holiday per se, or did not start out as such. There's not one shred of evidence that a person named Jesus was born on December 25th - not even in the Bible that you all hold so dear. Do a simple Google search for "Pagan origins of Christmas" and it'll return with nearly a million articles on the subject. Here's a brief one for those of you with short attention spans:
Secondly, the US is NOT a "christian nation" as so many of you claim: http://www.infidels.org/library/modern/farrell_till/myth.html
Finally, nobody is trying to "take Christmas away" from anybody. Don't be stupid. It's all about money. Stores are trying to appeal to the widest audience (aka people who spend money in their stores) that they can, and it would be bad business to "offend" a segment of their clientele. And please don't roll out the tired "PC" argument. In the end, it's not about being PC or not, it's about common courtesy.

Search of alleged dealer's home found drugs, firearms